Sequel: The Fleury Life
Status: Completed

The Crosby Life

Spring's Wings

“Sidney!” I squealed as he hip checked me, making me fall to the ice in a fit of laughter.
My twin brother laughed as he held out his gloved hand, pulling me to my feet. I pushed him lightly and laughed harder as he swayed on his feet. “I couldn’t resist!”
“You aren’t supposed to be checking yet. This is still only your first week back on the ice. You have to be careful!”
“Yes, mom,” he teased, doing a small circle around me.
I rolled my eyes and pushed against his skate with my stick, causing him to lose balance. He was able to stay on his feet though. He’s my brother, the superstar, he doesn’t know how to fall unless someone’s pushing against his head...
Ok, bad pun.
“Crosby! Or, uhh, Crosby’s?”
Both my brother and I turned and looked at James Neal, standing there waving at us. We waved back. “What’s up?”
“The boys are almost ready down there. You almost finished here?”
We looked at our strength and conditioning coach. He nodded, so Sid and I stepped off the ice. Just in time. The rest of the Penguins flew to the ice like a blur of yellow, black, and blue. I followed after them, considering I had to practice despite the fact I was helping my brother on the ice.
I skated next to Marc as we made our warmup laps. “How is he?”
“His stick-handling hasn’t suffered at all,” I said, looking up between the bars of his mask. “He’s still the master. He even made me dizzy, and I’ve been good from my concussion for a while now.”
My fiance laughed and decided to hip bump me, once again, sending me gliding across the ice. Tanger ended up having to jump over my sliding belly, although he fell on his own ass from laughing too hard. I pointed and laughed.
“Sorry, ma chérie,” Flower said, holding back his own laughed as Kris and I pushed against each other to get up. I got up first. HA!
I smiled at Marc as Tanger made a face at me. “No problem, babe,” I said to him as we started skating again.
I dropped to the ice between Kovalev and Jordan and began stretching. Jordan and I ended up play fighting on the ice more than stretching though. Coach just let us do our own thing, and I could tell that this was just one of those practices where we mainly mess around and have fun. It’s to help us relax.
Jordan ended up sitting his heavy ass on my back, which made it crack. It felt good though. “Dude, you weigh way too much,” I said, my voice and gaspy cause I couldn’t get any air because of him.
Jordan laughed and stood up. I hooked my stick around his skate and he plummeted to the ice. “I’m still pissed at you.”
“For cutting my hair?” he asked defensively. I skated away as he rubbed his chin. I could hear him mumble.
“Ok, boys and Erra,” everyone chuckled. “Tomorrow we face the Ranger’s. We’re finally getting healthy. Asham won’t be on tomorrow, but hopefully against the Wing’s. Brooks is getting around. And everyone saw Sid on the ice.”
The team hooted and I laughed at the thought that my brother was down in the locker room, staring towards the door like we’re idiots. Then again, we are.
We teamed up in doubles for two on zero against the goalies. I had Benny Lovejoy and we did a lot of passing before he took a shot on Johnny. Johnny read it well, which was the point. But when we went up against Marc, we faked a lot and I shot the puck right over the blocker. I smirked at my fiance just before he whacked me in the ass with his stick.
I glowered at him. Of course, that just made him laugh.
I shook my head as Ben and I went back and forth, following the other pairs. It was good practice.
Next we went two on one. I was still with Ben against Tanger. Tanger slid in front of my shot to block, and we had to go the other way against Niskanen where Ben shuffled it under Johnny.
I switched partners since Ben had to be on the defensive end. Jordan and I came together, bickering about what to do mostly, but we got it done as Jordan made a wicked slap shot past Marc. I kind of just stood there, blinking. “You do realize this is only practice, right?” I asked my blonde counterpart.
Jordan laughed. “Yup.”
I shook my head.
We went through more drills, and I left the ice five minutes early like I do every day. I shrugged off all my gear and made my way to the showers. I showered quickly for once and came out just as all the guys were changing.
I packed up my gear, my hair still wrapped up in a towel, and went into the bathroom to blowdry it. It may be getting warmer outside, but I still didn’t want to go out with my hair wet and risk getting a cold.
I waited outside for Marc, even though I knew he’d take forever.
“Sister, sister,” Sidney joked as he plopped next to me.
I laughed and lifted my legs to rest over his lap comfortably. “Brother dearest. To what do I owe this pleasure?” I took a sip of his bottled water.
“Talk to Jen lately?” he asked, fighting me for his water back. I just kept swatting his hands away.
“Last night, why?”
“Plan on a dress date yet?”
I stopped hitting his hands away and gave Sid back his water. “After hockey,” I said to him. “It’s that time of the year where things are getting too close for comfort. She doesn’t want to go until after hockey is over for the summer.”
Sidney nodded. “I think we want a winter wedding.”
“You know how hard that is to plan, Sid,” I warned, staring at him. “There is a reason Marc and I picked August.”
“Just before our birthdays,” he smirked.
I laughed and punched him in the arm. He rubbed it. “Shut up, bro. But yes. It’s hard for you. You’ll be playing.”
“And you’ll be coaching.”
“Not coaching.” I sighed. “I’m you’re new A.T. and medical personnel as of next year. You know that.”
He patted my legs that were still on his lap. “You don’t want to stop, do you?”
“No,” I admitted. “Who wants to end their dreams only six years into it?” I shrugged. “But it needs to be done. I can’t play hockey after marriage. It just isn’t right.”
My twin hugged me. “We love you no matter what anyways.”
I laughed. “Thanks.”
Marc came out of the locker room and laughed when he saw us. “Comfy?”
“Very much so,” I said with a grin.
Sid laughed and stood up. “I’m ready when you guys are.”
Oh yeah, we drove him here. That explains why he’s still here.
I pulled myself to my feet and Marc-Andre draped his arm around my shoulders as we made our way outside. My three inch heeled boots clacked against the ground as we stepped outside towards the Escalade.
“Spring is finally here,” Sid said, looking up at the sky as we relished the fifty degree temps.
“Yeah,” I said with a smile. “And change always awaits on Spring’s wings.”
Marc laughed. “Poetic much?”
I elbowed him in his ribs. “Oh shut up!”