Sequel: Pureblood

Halfblood

Brush With Death

It was Thursday. My Equestrian Studies class has just ended and I was walking back to the dorms with Tristan. I reach into my messenger bag to look at the time on my cell phone and realize it’s not in its usual place. I begin searching all over my bag and don’t find it. Then realization hits me.
“Oh, shoot.” I mutter.
“What’s wrong?” Tristan asks.
“I left my cell phone in the gym during archery.” I said. “I have to go back and get it.”
“I could go with you.”
“No it’s fine. I’ll meet you at the dorm.”
After giving him a quick kiss on the cheek, I walk back down the pathway to the school. I reached for the front door handle and breath a sigh of relief when it opens. I continue down the hall and make a right to the gymnasium doors. I swing the doors open.
The gym lights are off but it was dimly lit by the light shining through the windows. I went to the bench where I was sitting and find my cell phone underneath the bench. I was lucky that was still there.
Then I heard footsteps coming towards me. It must be Tristan who decided to come along.
I turn around with a smile saying, “I said I would meet you at—”
I stop mid sentence. The man standing a few feet away wasn’t Tristan at all. He was dressed in all black, a gun holster and knife on his belt, and had on a mask that only left his eyes uncovered. I recognized the eyes. They were the same eyes I had seen at the club that night. And they were the same eyes as the vampire hunter who had killed my parents. I gasped in realization.
“So I finally have you alone.” he said. He pulled out the knife and held it up, the blade glinting in the dim light. “Now I could finish what I started with your parents.”
I said nothing. All I could do was stare. Every impulse screamed out at me to run but I was frozen in place, unable to move. If only I knew how to use my new found abilities maybe a could defend myself.
He started to walk closer and I stepped back. I forgot that the bench was there and I fell over it. I got up and ran for the door as fast as I could. Unfortunately, that wasn’t fast enough. He caught me by the arm half way to the door. My heart beat wildly with fear. Then everything felt like in slow motion when I realized that this was the vision I had seen since I got to the school, I had witnessed my death.
Just as I made my revelation, Tristan barges in through the doors. His grey eyes were now deep red with rage. I had never seen him like this and I tried not to flinch from his startling appearance.
“Let her go.” he growled.
The vampire hunter was now holding me with my back to his chest, like in a backwards hug. The blade of the knife was at my throat. Tears streamed down my cheeks.
“She deserves to die.” the hunter said. “She in an abomination, a beast in human skin, that doesn’t deserve to live.”
The hunter plunged the knife into my chest, right into my heart, and I screamed in pain. It was the same pain I had felt every time I had the visions. I fell to the floor, clutching the wound as if holding it tightly would stop the bleeding. I knew that it would take a while for me to die; vampires didn’t die easily, unfortunate in my case.
I watched as Tristan attacked the hunter, who tried to defend himself with the knife. Tristan dodged every jab the hunter tried to make. When the hunter tried for a final time, Tristan grabbed his wrist and bent it, the bones breaking caused the hunter to drop the knife. With the hunter’s wrist still in his grip, Tristan reached into the man’s chest with his free hand. He pulled out the man’s heart and threw it to the ground. The hunter’s body fell to the floor, lifeless.
He stood there, panting, for a moment before looking at me. His eyes became the usual grey and, with vampire speed, ran to my side. He kneeled next to me and held me in his arms. He looked sad and for a moment I wondered why. I looked down at myself and saw that my uniform was completely drenched in my blood and remembered I was dieing.
I watched Tristan bring his wrist to his lips and bite into it. He placed the bloody wrist the my mouth but I turned away.
“Lyra, this is the only way I could save you.” he said, his voice full of desperation.
The blood of a Pureblood could heal injuries when ingested, so it was the only way I could live. But I had never tasted real blood before, only the blood tablets which weren’t real blood. It scared me to think of drinking blood, though I wasn’t sure why.
“Please, Lyra,” I heard him say, bringing my attention back. His voice was shaky. “I don’t want to watch you die. I can’t bare losing you.”
I was starting to feel my life slipping away and made a split second decision. I put my lips to his wrist and began drinking the blood. It tasted salty and metallic and sweet all at once. I felt the warmth of it slip over my tongue and down my throat. I held his wrist to my mouth greedily, not wanting him to pull away though I knew he wouldn’t. I could hear his heart beating loudly, the sound like a drum in my ears. Then I felt my heart start to beat as if trying to match his.
My vision started to blur and I began to feel dizzy. I stopped drinking and let go of Tristan’s wrist. I could hear him calling out to me but he sounded distant. I fell into darkness.

I was becoming conscious, slowly though. I opened my eyes and let the blur in my vision dissipate. I was in a familiar white room that smelled of medicine and Lysol. I was in a bed in the infirmary.
“Looks like someone’s awake.” the nurse said from the foot of the bed. “You must like this room since you wake up here enough.”
I smile at her joke. I tried to laugh but my chest hurt too much.
“You have visitors by the way.” she said. “I could tell them to come back later if you need more rest.”
“No, it’s alright, you could let them in.” I say.
She walked over to the door and opened it. Luna, Tessa, Damien, and Gwen file into the room. Luna had a bouquet of purple lilies in her hand.
“It’s about time you let us in.” Tessa said to the nurse. Well it’s great to see Tessa hasn’t changed.
The nurse rolled hers eyes and walked away. I saw tears in Gwen’s eyes and she ran to the bedside and hugged me. I hugged her back.
As she pulled away she said, “I was so worried. We all were. When I saw you I thought you were dead and—”
“Gwen, I’m fine.” I say, trying to comfort her. “I’m breathing and talking and well alive.”
“I know.” She wiped the tears from her eyes and smiled.
“Well, we got you flowers. Damien picked them out.” Luna said as she placed them on the table next to the bed.
We all talked for what seemed like an hour. It was great to have my friends there but I was starting to wonder where Tristan was. Then there was a knock on the door and the nurse opened it. Tristan stood there, his expression unreadable.
“We’ll leave you too alone.” Tessa said.
I waved to my friends as the each left the room. It was only me and Tristan now. He seemed uneasy as he walked to my bedside. He held my hand and I could see concern plainly on his face. For a moment we simply looked at each other in silence.
“You saved my life.” I said, finally breaking our silence.
“I had to.” he said. “I couldn’t lose you after I had only just found you.” He lifted my hand to his lips and kissed it.
“How did you know to come to the gym?”
“I felt your emotions. Ever since I drank your blood, I’ve been able to sense them no matter what distance between us. I sensed fear from you and knew something was wrong.”
There was a silence.
“I knew the guy.”
“You did?”
“Yeah. He was the vampire hunter who killed my parents.”
“Well he’s dead. You’ll never see him again.”
I sat up more and reached up to pull his face closer to mine. I kissed him, my hand in his hair and his hands cupping my face.
“I’m glad your okay.” he said when we pulled away.
“Me too.” I say with a smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I've been taking a while with my updates. I'll have the next and last chapter up (hopefully) somtime this week.