Status: Time Travel. Demons. Beelzebub himself. All after me, George Carter. It never rains it pours.

The Time Travel memoirs: Lost And So Alone

Chapter 6: The Scourge of the universe

I hadn’t felt that I was in immediate danger until Dan turned back to me. He still had that murderous glint in his eyes. The immediate danger was set off by the wicked smile that graced his face. Then he began to advance on me. I didn’t even realise that my feel were automatically moving me backwards. The other two Spartans began to smile maliciously. Dan followed me slowly; something in his eyes told me that this was personal. He removed his sidearm pistol from its holster and pointed it at me.

I didn’t do what I thought I would do. I didn’t shy away; perhaps it was because I didn’t believe he was going to shoot me. Maybe it was because I wasn’t afraid to die. Either way, when the bullet left the chamber with an almighty bang, my shoulder welcomed to blow. I could smell the gunpowder that the gun had coughed out. I could taste the hot, purple Massidonia soil. It only occurred to me as I lay on the floor, that there was a place on planet Earth called Macedonia. What odd things you begin to think of as you lie on the floor writing in the dust like a beheaded earthworm.

My sounds of discomfort clearly were to the amusement to the Spartans. I heard laughter above me and I felt someone kick me in the stomach. I writhed and moaned on the floor. I looked above at the soldiers who were watching me bleed.
Dan laughed once more and then his own laugh subsided. The Spartans stopped laughing in unison, like trained dogs. Dan pulled me up by the arm; this made me scream once more. But no one laughed. Dan flung me onto a wooden chair that I had seen one of the soldiers carry over earlier. I sat and looked around. I could see no buildings, no refuge, no spaceship or anything. I was doomed. The only thing I could see was something large and metal in the distance.

Dan straightened. “Okay pure one, I’ll cut to the chase. For many years now, we Spartans have been looking for a pure one like you. We need your blood, we shall spill it all, just for good measure. We have searched for many years in the debris that leaves Earth. We were fools to do so, it was a complete waste of time, and everyone that first inhabited Earth is dead.” I shook my head and put pressure on the wound. “Then why don’t you just use a human from one of the colonies you spoke of, asshole?”

Dan did not rise to my insult. “We would, but the people on the colonies are not pure humans. They are the ancestors of the humans. They are not Earthlings. Not one of the humans on the colonies was born on Earth. Many neighbouring species who knew the inhabitants of Earth felt empathy for the loss of the humans. They had collected D.N.A specimens of humans and plants over the years, so they were able to recreate Earth on each of these colonies.”

Another gunshot rang out, slicing through the silence like a hot knife through butter. Dan came closer to me as I screamed and clutched my leg. If the bastard kept shooting me, then I was sure to bleed out. But that was what he wanted. “These humans are a mistake; you inhabit a planet then suck it dry and choke it. Humans feel only for themselves. You all stink, you need to be cleansed, and the only way you can be cleansed is by being wiped clean from our universe.”

I couldn’t draw my eyes away from his own, the sparkling madness and hatred in his eyes looked upon my own sad and gentle ones in pure loathing and disgust. “You can’t do that... I won’t let you” I managed to stutter. The leader of the Spartans let out a good almighty laugh. He knew it wasn’t possible for me to stop him. After all, I was just another scared human.

“We’ve killed many of the colonists when they accidentally end up in Massidonia, but that’s not enough” Dan continued as if I hadn’t spoken. “We need the blood of a human to activate our cannon over there.” Dan pointed in the distance at the metal object in the distance. “The blood of a pure human is the only thing that is able to sever the shields that cover the colonies.” I felt confused and tired. “Why do the colonies have shields?” I asked impatiently.
Dan walked over to me and calmly slapped me across the face. This was his show and he was running it without interruptions. “The colonies have shields because the species that put them there knew of people like us. People who wanted the greedy, filthy humans like you dead. So they figured that every pure human died on Earth, the day the world ended.” Dan looked at me like I was an enigma. He tilted his head. “That’s why I’m confused, how are you here? How did you survive human?”

Dan must have had scanners on the planet, otherwise he wouldn’t have known that I was pure human. I hated the fact that this madman, this lunatic, had access to technology like that. It begged the question, what did kind of cool technology did the sane people of the universe have? Dan sighed, I had stared at him for a whole minute, he knew he wasn’t going to get anything out of me. “Very well human, it doesn’t much matter anyway how you got here. But we have you.”

Dan began to laugh and he raced towards the cannon. The other two Spartans grabbed me and began to run after him. "These colonies won’t know what hit them!” he shouted gleefully. I saw him skip a few steps. God, he was excited, he had been waiting for this day for many years.
We stopped next to the cannon, I hadn’t realised that the cannon was ten feet tall, to be honest, it was a thing on beauty. It was almost imposing. The cannon might have been made of metal, but I could see a scope and below that, lots of machinery and wires. The machine was fragile, but if I made a move, I would be shot and they would use my blood anyway. They were only keeping me alive for the show. Dan wanted to watch me watch my human brothers and sisters die.

I was a simple human, I couldn’t stop this. Thoughts like that didn’t hold a lot of optimism, but Dan was getting more and more excited, pressing buttons like a lunatic. I saw a green and brown planet appear on the scope. That was planet one. “There must be other human colonies far off in the universe; you’ll never reach them from here.” Dan looked up from the scope and nodded. “That’s right human, you are sharp. We intend to clone your blood and we shall move the cannon to the other colonies and end those too.”

I decided to do all I could; anything was better than going with Dan’s plan. I pulled myself up from the hot purple Massidonia soil, where the Spartans had dumped me and staggered over to Dan who had began to look through the scope again. The two other Spartans trained their assault rifles on me with a click. Dan heard this and saw me stop. “Human? You have lost, give this up and get back on the floor. It is only going to get worse for you boy.” I shook my head, “battle me, you cowardly murderer.” His eyes opened wide, he drew himself away from the controls and walked towards me.

Dan called the soldiers down, “we’re going to settle this, soldier, to freak.” I laughed, almost hysterically, “a soldier without an army.” Dan screamed and lunged at me. I was injured, I had a bullet in my shoulder and a bullet in my leg, I was leaning against a large rock for support, so I did the only thing that was in my power. I cheated.

Just before the Spartan met me, I swung my body so I was momentarily balanced on my bad leg. This enabled me to use my other leg, my good leg, which met where I assumed it would hurt. Dan screamed and bounded away from me as my foot hit his testicles. I was very glad that he had them or I would be dead right now. I staggered over to Dan and took his pistol.

The soldiers just watched, they were standing by their orders. Dan didn’t have the breath to say any thing. I brought butt of the gun down on Dan’s head many times, until I was out of breath. I looked at the soldiers, they looked hypnotised. Dan had said that the soldiers were not important; I guess they followed any order that their commanding officer gave them. Now that Dan was down, I was the only other one here. I was pissed off; later in my life I regretted saying what I said next.

“Kill yourselves.” The soldiers looked at me and without looking at each other they both took their assault rifles and pointed them at their heads. The gun roared for about a second, and then the soldiers were no more. At the time I felt no sympathy for them, I just wanted them dead. In hindsight, this made me just as bad as them.
They had both hit the floor at the same time.

Dan had woken up, he clutched his head, but he stared at the soldiers, then at me holding his pistol. “Human scum” he said. I ignored Dan and took the soldiers standard issue fragmentation grenades. I remember removing the pins and one by one I throwing them at the weak parts of the cannon. After each explosion the machine began to bend and the electrics in the machine began to sizzle. After every explosion Dan began to scream and cry out at me. After the fifth, the deed was done.

I stood up straight and true now and faced Dan, his cybernetic eyes held shock and resentment.
“I’ll find a way, don’t you worry human. I will end you. I will end you all.” I shrugged and walked over to him, slowly as he had to me. Dan shuffled back as he saw the look in my eyes. “You will not be committing genocide, not in a million years. Not when I breathe.” I shot him five times in the head. I took in a breath and fainted.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for reading peeps, this chapter is set to demonstrate the darkness of George's character. Hope you enjoyed. Comment and or subscribe.