‹ Prequel: Kiss and Tell

Blah Blah Blah

3.

“Do you ever wonder what would have happened if you didn’t get knocked up on your honeymoon?”

My eyes drifted from my fries and up to my best friend, “Excuse me?”

Jonathan grinned, mouth full of pasta and a laugh coming through the sauce. He reached down to pick up his napkin and wipe his mouth before regaining composure and looking me dead in the eyes again, the faintest hint of hilarity still hidden behind his lips.

“No, I mean I love the kid to death,” He grinned, resting his wrists on the table, “But how do you think you and Kaner would be doing if the boy wasn’t around.”

I frowned, circling my fry in ranch sauce and thinking about it. I realized that I never really had thought about it. Things had gone too well since we said our vows and had our son that I never even pondered the thought of how things would be without him. Maybe Patrick wouldn’t have been able to handle being tied down, and maybe Levi was his anchor to not steer in the wrong direction. Maybe we’d still be thriving and in love, even without the addition to the family.

“I don’t know,” I answered honestly, meeting his eyes again, “I mean, I’m sure we’d be fine.”

“Yeah, yeah,” Jonathan nodded, probably trying to make me stop doubting myself, “Love is love right.”

All I could do was nod and watch him twirl his pasta on his spoon once again. If you would have asked me four years ago if Jonathan and Patrick would have drastically changed places, I would have called your bluff. Now, a while down the road, Patrick was happily wed and Jonathan was the team’s new womanizer. Ever since his split with Danny two years ago, he had changed drastically. He didn’t care about finding somebody to settle down with anymore, he was young and wealthy, and that was the only thing that mattered. Truthfully, I was sad to see Danny go; she had grown to be a sister to me. She was my maid of honor and she is Levi’s God Mother- and now we never see her. Ever.

“Speaking of love,” I brought up, watching his eyes narrow as he chewed, “How’s your girl situation, Jonny?”

He snorted, swallowing, “What situation? I’m not dating.”

“Why not?” I asked almost too urgently, practically begging him to change his ways, “I mean, isn’t it time to look for the right girl?”

He raised an eyebrow and dropped his fork, “Just because you got married and popped out a kid before you were 20, doesn’t mean the rest of us are in a hurry to settle down, Leah.”

I sighed, nervously playing with my silver bracelet, “Fair point.”

“I appreciate what you’re trying to do,” he told me, his Captain Serious expression glued on to his face, “But my life is my life, and yours is yours.”

“Fine,” I concluded the argument, realizing the topic was too far gone already- a hopeless case, “End of discussion.”

Jonathan shot me one last, emotionless look, before diving back into his pasta. I wondered if Danny had broken his heart enough that it had caused permanent damage. To be fair, he was totally not at fault for the breakup. While she didn’t pull a Leah (cheating with a friend), she did break up without reason, and that was probably of equal brutality. Jonathan was left to constantly wonder what he did wrong, or what he could have done better. She had caused a battle within him, and he couldn’t find the answer to conquer it.

The girl who used to be my best friend didn’t even speak to me anymore. She was now a stranger. After about one thousand unanswered texts and calls that went straight to voicemail, I gave up. I knew I didn’t have to be worried; her facebook page was enough to make that clear. She was living her life to the fullest, travelling, clubbing, acting like a nineteen year old when she was already twenty six. I don’t know what happened to her, but the sweet, radiant woman I knew was gone.

“Levi wants to hang out with you,” I said, breaking our awkward silence.

Jonathan nodded, “Sure, today?”

“Whenever, he’s been asking about your whereabouts for days,” I informed him, which was true, “Patrick can only be exciting for so long, he needs Uncle Taze to spice things up every once in a while.”

“Yeah, I haven’t gotten up there in a while,” He thought aloud, reaching into his wallet to get his Visa ready, “I’ll come up and entertain your little man for a while- you and Patrick should go do… whatever, in the mean time.”

I raised an eyebrow, “You encouraging me to get jiggy with it?”

He froze and shook his head, “No. I never want to hear that leave your mouth again. You’re going to-.”

“-Canoodle?”

“No-.”

“-Bom chicka wow wow?”

“No-.”

“Get freaky?”

“No!”

Make looooooove?”

“Let’s go.”
♠ ♠ ♠
thank you

Shenner02
RosiePosie08
twin.

here