Sequel: It Takes More
Status: Completed. Check out the Sequel ➔

Tear Best Friends Apart

Chapter Eight; The Aftermath

Alex and I stood face to face, neither of us moving, neither of us saying a word. Chris, who had previously been shoved away by Alex, came up beside me. Noticing the tension between my brother’s best friend-who everyone knew was just as bad as my brother when it came to protecting me-and me, he spoke quietly. “I should probably go, I’ll uh, see you later.”

I simply nodded my head, not sure of what to say. My focus was plastered on Alex who was staring me down. I just wished he would talk to me, maybe then I’d know for sure if I was wasting my time pinning after the boy who would forever be my brother’s best friend. After our staring contest went on for a while, I realized nothing was going to be said and I walked into the house in search of Marla, Jack, or more liquor; whichever I came across first.

Marla and Jack it was. They were standing by the door as I came in, trying to act like they hadn’t been watching the exchange between Alex and I, or lack thereof. I rolled my eyes at the two before I grabbed Marla’s hand and made my way down the nearest hallway in search of privacy.

We ducked into an open bathroom, locking the door behind us. I took a seat on the closed toilet seat while Marla stood waiting for answers to unspoken questions. I stared at the peach tiled floor as Marla began to speak. “So, are you going to tell me what happened back there?”

“Nothing. Absolutely nothing.” My voice held no emotion as I came to realize that I wasn’t going to get what I wanted. That Alex would never come out and say that he liked me. And I believed now that he liked me. He had never reacted violently towards any of my boyfriends before, there had to be a reason behind him doing so now.

“That didn’t look like nothing. He pulled Chris off you and most likely would have beaten his face in if you hadn’t of stopped him.” I couldn’t argue with her observation, I had made the same one. And I now had a new outlook. I was no longer going to go after Alex; I was no longer going to try to get him to talk to me. If he didn’t want anything to happen, then that’s exactly what would happen, nothing. “Come on, let’s get you back to the party.”

Marla led me out of the small bathroom and through the throng of people. I put on a fake smile as we approached the boys who were talking very loudly. “Well, maybe you shouldn’t have let her out of the house dressed like that.” I caught the tail end of Alex’s side of the conversation.

Jack simply shook his head as he saw Marla and I approach. “You okay, Elena?” my brother asked, going into over-protective mode.

“Yeah, why wouldn’t I be?” I asked innocently, as if nothing had happened.

“Alex said that guy was all over you. Are you sure your okay?” he asked skeptically.

“I’m positive.” I said the last word very slowly and clearly before I spun on my heel in search of the kitchen. My new outlook involved completely letting go and forgetting everything about the boy now staring at my retreating form.

I poured myself a shot, downing the burning liquid before pouring straight Vodka into a plastic cup. I sipped at the clear liquid as I surveyed the room. Couples were making out in every corner, some still dancing to the harsh sounds coming from the speakers nearby. Watching the scene before me, I downed the contents of my cup, or attempted to before the cup was ripped from my hand.

“Hey!” I said indignantly before seeing whom the culprit was. “Can I have that back?” I asked quietly.

“What do you think your doing?” He asked, staring into my eyes, which I could tell were dilating due to the amount of alcohol now ruining through my veins. When I didn’t answer, he pulled me down the hall Marla and I had just come from by my wrist.

When he stopped us inside a small office, shutting the door behind us, I turned to face him. “Alex, what are you doing?”

He was quiet, didn’t utter a word as he looked into my heavy lidded eyes. I was about to leave once again when he grabbed my waist to keep me in place. His next actions happened so fast that they seemed to blur together, although in my mind I was watching them play out in slow motion.

He left one hand on my waist as he brought the other up to cradle the right side of my neck. “A-Alex?” He didn’t respond, at least not verbally. His eyes closed as he took an intake of breath, as if he were preparing himself, before he slowly leaned in to once again connect our lips. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t want this to happen, but I’d also be lying if I said I was okay with a repeat of the aftermath the first kiss we shared created.

Reluctantly, I pulled away, stealing a glance at his features now etched in sorrow, joy, worry, contentment, hurt; so many emotions I couldn’t read them all. But I didn’t watch them play across his face very long, moving slowly out of his grasp. “What are you doing?” I questioned again. I needed answers. There was no way I was going to just let him kiss me without an explanation.

“Lee, I-” I could see the hesitation in his eyes, but I could also see something I never had before; want. “Lee. I like you,” he whispered, his head falling as he wouldn’t meet my eyes. I let out a breath I hadn’t realized I was holding as my lips pulled up into a full smile.

“I like you, too Alex.”

No sooner had those words left my mouth and Alex’s head snapped up, his brown eyes meeting mine, now filled with hope.
♠ ♠ ♠
They finally admitted their feelings!

Sorry it took me a little while to put this out. I don't really like how it turned out, tried rewriting a few times but couldn't really get it to where I felt it should be. :,(

ehh. Anyways, let me know what you think. Your opinions mean more to me than my own when it comes to my writing. This story is almost finished just a few more chapters (2-3) left, so look out for those.

Special thanks to f-flies && LicensetoloveXx for being faithful commenters. Kudos&Love!
Until next time, <3 you all!!