Status: Full speed on!

Monsoon Wings

Chapter 14 - "Someone actually wants to hurt you, Juno."

The night before the Ball, in the Gryffindor common room, after Juno had returned from the grip of Draco Malfoy, they were all shocked by a letter from the unknown owl.

“Tentacular leaves fell vain,
But hatreds never fade.
Remember the main:
Emily will be dead.”


‘What the freak?!’ Hermione screamed, snatching the letter from Juno’s hands, reading it twice, then grabbed her wand, tapped the letter and muttered several spells, which was useless. Nothing happened.

‘Some mystery is going on around here!’ Jayden shouted, standing up, banging the table with his fist.

‘Sit down, Jayden. Don’t be hot first. Let’s think together,’ Olivia voiced.

‘Okay let’s start,’ Harry opened the topic. Everyone sat straight. ‘Firstly, the stalker sent a note through Hagrid. But the funny thing was Hagrid totally forgot about the one who gave the note to him. He didn’t even remember getting it. He only knew he had to give it to Juno. It was as if the memory when the stalker gave the letter was erased completely from Hagrid’s brain.’

‘This point out that Hagrid may have been hit by a Memory-Eraser Charm,’ Ron said thoughtfully.

‘Then, someone who knows the schedule slipped in and exchanged Juno’s leaves with Tentacular ones. This means it must be a girl, and a Gryffindor.’

‘Not really,’ Hermione said smartly. ‘This stalker is an expert in erasing people’s memories. He, or she, can ask anyone to do it—through the Imperius Curse—then erase the memory.’

A look of terror struck their appearances. ‘You mean anyone of us can be the victim?’ Olivia asked.

‘Maybe you and me!’ Hermione shouted shrilly, ‘Maybe one of us did the exchange of the leaves, and our memories got erased. So we don’t know anything.’

A silence followed.

‘You mean it’s possible the stalker is not a Gryffindor also, and, if more possible, has never entered past the Fat Lady, but only using the Imperius Curse all the time to get others do the evil job for him?’ Harry asked, and then stopped to catch a breath.

‘It’s possible. But it’s just a guess. Well, it can be any of the other Gryffindors—but has anyone of us lately said out Gryffindor password, outside the Gryffindor common room?’

A peace followed as the others thought alone. Then Olivia suddenly shouted with glee.

‘I remember! That night I was from the library when I met Jayden. And you said you forgot the password so I told you it was “grindylow”. Remember?’ Olivia said.

‘What?’ Jayden replied like an idiot.

‘That night. You said you are going to the library as well. But what does it matter? I told the password to another Gryffindor, so—’

‘No, Olivia,’ Jayden cut. ‘You didn’t tell me. I don’t even remember that event.’

Another fresh silent followed. Olivia was certain of it, because she remembered it so well. That night she had met Malfoy, and it was the night he had told her Harry liked Cho Chang. Then she was thinking and almost ran into Jayden. How could Jayden have forgotten?

‘I am positive I told it to you. I am not blind or have any eye problem. I was not having a headache or really exhausted that night. It was really you,’ Olivia insisted.

‘But I didn’t. It wasn’t me. It’s not my habit to go to the library after dinner except during exams,’ Jayden said again.

‘So one of you is lying?’ Ron said, scratching his head.

‘No, I am definitely certain—‘

‘I didn’t even—‘

‘Maybe both of them aren’t lying!’ Juno shouted. ‘Maybe someone disguised himself as Jayden. Polyjuice Potion.’

‘Maybe. Jayden, you said you lost a set of robes. Well, that explains it. And then you found them under your bed,’ Harry said out loud.

They all were absorbed in their own thoughts after Harry’s comment.

‘What shall we do now?’ Jayden asked finally.

‘Tell Dumbledore. That’s what we should have done,’ Hermione said, snapping her fingers.

‘But what if it’s only a joke?’ Juno asked timidly.

‘It can’t be a joke, Juno. Someone exchanged your leaves.’

‘So we should tell Dumbledore?’ Ron asked stupidly. ‘This stalker is dangerous. Maybe—like, you see Juno, you did it yourself. The stalker put an Imperius curse on you so you can go to your dorms, open your trunk and exchange your own leaves. In this way no one will actually think suspicious of it, right?’

‘We should consider report—‘

‘No, we’ll wait,’ Juno said firmly before Hermione had a chance to continue. ‘If there is another sign someone really wants to hurt me again, we’ll report this. I promise.’

‘But you’ll need some protection in the mean time!’ argued Olivia.

‘I’ll be careful,’ Juno said certainly.

‘Then what if another incident happens? Another—deliberate incident?’ Harry said.

‘Well,’ Ron said, ‘Then someone actually wants to hurt you, Juno.’

*

There was no way she would tell Draco about the letter. He wouldn’t care, anyway. But she felt afraid. Yes, she was afraid that next time she’ll actually die. The first explosion during Potions, she was lucky she passed it. But could she pass the next? She must be really careful now.

She tossed around on her bed. She couldn’t sleep at all. Tomorrow was the Ball, so there were no classes during the morning.

Juno realized she actually felt nervous going with Malfoy. He is a prince, a highly reputated person, and she is only a small timid girl whose Dad is a retailer.

But she could dance, all right. She just grew cold-feet at the thought of doing it with him, on high heels.

There was a rustle from outside the window, but Juno didn’t care.

Has Draco Malfoy flipped? Why did he ask her? Amongst all the rich girls, why did he choose her?

Thought swirled continuously. It was really late, and she was still wide-eyed. A lot had happened.

Will I match the Slytherin Prince tomorrow? She wondered. I have a beautiful dress, beautiful shoes, and Olivia had promised to help me with my make-up and hair. Can I actually get it done? Can I, just once, be perfect and elegant?

She felt alone. She really needed Jayden. She wanted Jayden beside her right now.

There was again another rustle, and a tap. Juno rose and saw it was Hedwig, a letter clasped in her beak.

No, not another intimidating letter please.

But this is Hedwig, Juno realized. She tip-toed to the window and grabbed the snowy owl, and gripped the letter. It was a very small parchment with familiar handwriting.

Hi Juno. I couldn’t sleep so I sent Hedwig to see if you are asleep or not. You are not. So Hedwig came back and I wrote a letter to you from the boy’s dorms. Don’t want to wake up the others.

Jayden


Juno smiled. Her heart was actually flowering as she reached for her quill.

Jayden is always there for her. No matter how, Jayden is always there. Near him, she feels comfortable and peaceful. It was as if there were walls around her, walls that protect her from the curses and thorns.

Thank you Jayden, Juno thought as she scribbled down a reply.

Thank you for being there.

*

Draco Malfoy was lying awake, eyes wide open. He was stressed out. Plainly because of tomorrow’s Ball.

Why did I ask her? Why? I could’ve just convinced Olivia. Heck, what will the whole world say? Well, I guess I was a bit frantic and high-tempered. That night when Olivia rejected me when I ask her to go to the Ball as my date, I was hot and angry. And hurt. I met the little monkey Emily there and thought she was perfect to be the garbage bin. For me to throw my anger and pain. I wasn’t thinking clearly.

And he actually bought a dress for her! And such a costly one for sure. A dress that would look perfect around Olivia’s body.

And what if Emily trip while dancing with me tomorrow?

Oh Gosh, he couldn’t actually imagine himself dancing with that duck.

And to say she wanted to join the Magical Talent Audition!

Oh.

It was around three that he finally fell asleep.

Image