Status: Full speed on!

Monsoon Wings

Chapter 29 - The Bell Necklace

Draco stirred first. He thought it was still night, because it was dark. Then he realized it was the curtains. He remembered the dance last night. Ugh.

He yawned, feeling his right arm was numb.

Glancing to his right, he understood the reason behind it.

Juno Emily’s head was on his right arm, her face nuzzling close into his chest. Her both hands had taken refuge in his robes, because of the cold, maybe. And he himself had been hugging her close all night.

All night.

He jumped, pulling his arm away. Juno’s head hit the ground and she woke up in an instant.

‘Aw,’ she rubbed her skull, scratching her eyes. When she opened them and found Draco, she gasped.

‘What?’ he asked, though he himself knew the reason. The punched cheek of his had grown blue overnight. He could feel it. He growled, standing up, brushing his pants and robes.

‘I’m so sorry,’ Juno stood up as well, following him out of the dungeon. ‘Maybe you could go to Madam Pomfrey and she would mend the bruise in a second—’

‘SHIT,’ Draco swore shrilly, covering his cheek. Though it was a Sunday, a small lot of Slytherins were everywhere in the dungeon corridor. They were lucky none of the students banged into the classroom in which Juno and Draco had slept together. Amongst all was Pansy Parkinson, who gasped the loudest.

‘Drakie! What happ— Why is she here?’ she squealed, giving Juno a very dirty look. Juno retaliated by growling at her, but did not do a very intimidating job of it as she was still sleepy-faced.

Draco groaned angrily, pushing past her and walked briskly to the staircases. He leaped actively and strolled, dodging students. He had to hold his shame until he safely reached the Hospital Wing, where the matron would surely put an end to his big misery.

*

Hermione shot the greatest number of questions at Juno. Luckily, Olivia wasn’t there.

‘Okay, I’ll tell it to you,’ Juno sighed, flexing her muscles. They were in their dormitory room, privately. ‘Last night nothing happened between me and him. Honestly.’ Though when I woke up, I was cuddling into his chest.

‘Let’s just wonder how Malfoy explains it to his girlfriend,’ Hermione hissed. Juno smiled bleakly.

*

By the time after lunch, Juno was on her heels. She had picked the best comfortable outfit she owned. She walked slowly down to the grounds, where Elvis and Stamp were already waiting. Elvis was with his proud dirty owl, broomstick ready in hand. He was dressed in a handsome blue shirt and jeans with dark dreary sweater.

All across the grounds were most Hogwarts students, richly supplied with make-ups and dressed in all sorts of ways. Some, and apparently a great lot of it, had considered joining the audition as well. They were all on broomsticks—Floo networks were only accessible in the teacher’s lounges and it was embarrassing to demand for it. Besides, flying might cool down the nerves.

‘A long way to go to the Ministry,’ Elvis motioned her to jump onto his broomstick. ‘So many broomsticks with the same destination as ours. Wonder if Muggles would notice…’

Juno looked at Stamp, whose blonde hair was tussled. He was standing straight, hands in his pocket.

‘Stamp,’ she called softly.

‘Baby,’ he leaned in and kissed her (Elvis was mounting his broomstick). ‘Sorry I can’t come, can’t leave work. Good luck.’

She nodded, feeling a sudden power surge up inside her. She felt confident as she mounted the broom behind Elvis. As they sped away, Juno looked down again at Stamp, waving and mouthing good luck. She grinned. They flew higher, and it was relaxing. In the midst of the wind, she suddenly noticed something—or someone—was missing. She searched the grounds, looking for someone.

She was searching for the pale blonde boy with the grey eyes.

Not Stamp, though.

She was searching for the pale blonde boy with the grey eyes and the blue bruise across his cheek.

*

Draco ran his hands along her scented hair, inhaling her breath, licking her lips, begging for entrance, and she yielded. Olivia’s one hand rubbed his toned chest and drifted lower and lower, until finally she caught his belt, and he gasped into the kiss. She grinned furtively, trying to unbuckle it, as he ran his hands to the front of her shirt, undoing the first three buttons as fast as lightning, then cupping her left breast, gently kneading it.

She cleared her throat, and he stopped. They broke the kiss awkwardly.

‘Sorry,’ he said vaguely, adjusting his belt. ‘I won’t force you if you are not—um, ready to do that.’

Olivia was busy correcting her bra position and buttoning up her shirt. ‘Sorry, honey,’ she said finally. ‘I just need some time.’

‘It’s okay,’ he coughed.

They paused.

‘Let’s go in, it’s a bit cold here,’ Olivia suggested. They had been snogging up in the Astronomy tower. Hand in hand, they descended the stairs.

‘No, just wait a bit,’ Draco said softly as they have reached the turning of the stairs, holding her close by the waist, refusing to let her go.

Olivia giggled, pressing her nose against his. That was their way of saying I love you. Draco smirked, and pulled out the bell necklace from his pocket, and put the golden chain around her neck.

‘Oh, this is the one like you are wearing!’ Olivia exclaimed enthusiastically.

Just then, a group of first-years were running past the stairs, and collided with both of them. One stupid mouse-like girl bumped into Draco so hard that he accidentally let go of the necklace around Olivia’s neck before he had a chance to fasten it. It fell down, bouncing down the stairs and finally came to rest on the seventh floor. The shattering sound baited his anger. He yelled angrily at the girl, who had squeaked and ran away upwards to the Astronomy tower.

‘Hey, you dirt!’ he was yelling, while Olivia had reached the necklace and was squatting there, holding it tightly, the look of pain and guilt on her face.

After he finished calling the little girl names, Draco joined Olivia, who was already sobbing, as she showed him the necklace.

The gold colour was not glimmering anymore—it had gone dull.

The golden bell, surprisingly, was definitely shattered.

Image