Status: Full speed on!

Monsoon Wings

Chapter 36 - Jayden's Problem, Again

Two days had passed. Jayden and friends had asked Argus Filch, the caretaker, and Filch had brought them to his office, and showed them his collection of lost wands. Jayden’s was not one of the set. In the end, he decided to borrow one of the lost wands, and intended to use it until his own was found. But Filch said that Jayden could keep the wand because it had been years and no one had claimed it. The wand was not pleasant also. During Transfiguration, McGonagall tut-tutted because Jayden not only managed to vanish his mouse but also the entire table.

‘The wand chooses the wizard, you see,’ Ron assumed after the class. ‘That wand had belonged to someone else. The only way you can get a wand which listens and complies to you is by buying a new one. That’s what happened to me in my second year. Have I told you? Well, my wand broke and I bought a new one.’

Hermione found the mystery very remarkable. She yapped about it constantly on the way to Herbology.

‘The only possible explanation is that someone has gotten hold of your wand, Jayden. You see, wands are special magical things. If they get lost, they will always return back to their master— unless they are in someone else’s hand, or the master himself denied the wand. Well, you didn’t reject your wand, right? In fact you’re looking for it. So the possible explanation is that someone has gotten hold of your wand.’

‘But why my wand? Why do my stuffs always go missing?’ Jayden said miserably.

‘Well…’

And, during the last two days, Juno noticed something also. It started since the day Jayden claimed he lost his wand. Every time Juno passed the corridors, and looked down at the direction of Elvis’s hut, Stamp was always there, looking at her. The first time, she ignored him. The second time, after Potions, she again saw him looking at her. Though he was distant, she could see the sorry in his eyes. Again, she ignored him. The third time, well, he wasn’t there; Juno saw Elvis instead and she waved at him.

*

As for Draco, he couldn’t lie that he missed Juno. Every breakfast, lunch, and dinner, he always furtively glanced at her. He missed talking to her and making her annoyed. There were times when he threw a sneaky glance at her, and she was looking back at him also. This would last for a fraction of a second. Then, he daren’t look at the Gryffindor table again, worried that anyone would notice. During Potions, he missed ordering her and making her do this and that.

He yearned to ask her how was she, whether she was fine or not.

One time, during Potions, Juno looked back and met his eyes. He nastily stuck his tongue out at her and she did the same. After that incident, he found himself smiling for no reason at all.

*

The next morning, during breakfast, Juno got a shocking letter from her father.

Hi Juno, how are you?

Two days ago I just bought a new gas tank for cooking. I installed it with no problem. But yesterday when I entered the kitchen I smelled something weird. I called Mr. Raynolds and he said that the tank was leaking! Lucky I hadn’t started the stove, or else there would be an explosion. The firm who distributed the gas tank apologized and said that there must have been a mistake. Today they are sending a new free tank.

Don’t worry, the new tank is not leaking. Everything is ok. How about you? Send my regards to Jayden; tell him that I wish him the best. Bye.


‘Holy Toledo,’ Juno gasped out. When asked what happened, she read out the letter.

‘Lucky your dad didn’t start the fire,’ Ron commented when Juno had finished.

‘It seems fishy to me,’ Hermione said matter-of-factly. ‘Don’t you think someone deliberately—?’

‘Oh, come on, Hermione,’ Juno cut. ‘You read too much thriller novels. It was just an accident, that’s all.’

*

That night, as Draco was walking down to the dungeons alone, he saw a familiar figure walking in the second floor. The lanterns were dim, casting eerie glow on the stone surfaces. Both of them eventually came nearer and he realized it was Jayden Rocky.

Draco growled, tightening his fist.

But Jayden walked past him, not even paying attention to his presence. Hell, he didn't even cast a glance at Draco.

Hey?

Weird.

Jayden always went berserk when coming face-to-face with Draco.

Well, maybe he had chosen peace at last.

But the way he walked past Draco, was like strangers passing each other in the streets.

And was it just me, or is his hair parted in a different way?

Draco shrugged.

The following morning when he woke up, he was still thinking of the last night’s incident.

Image