I Never Told You What I Do For A Living

Sure Fire Winners

Dom and I walked through the big, double doors of the building into the reception area. As we walked past the long desk where everything was neatly organized, making my desk look like a rubbish tip, I said hi to Mandy, who I'd become friendly with over the couple of months since she started working here.
'Hey Scarlett. Mr. Wolstenholme said he wanted to see you and Dom in his office as soon as you got back.' said Mandy.
'Ok, then. Thanks Mandy.' I said with a smile as I walked back to Dom who was waiting near the door to the main office.
'Did you hear? Chris wants to see us in his office.' I said as Dom typed in the code for the door.
Dom smiled as the door swung open. 'See, I told you we'd get a mission.'
Dom and I, like most of the other people here, aren't really police officers. That's just our cover stories, and it's what we do while we wait for a mission to come up. We're really Secret Agents of the British Protection Agency. Our headquarters are underground, underneath the local police station.
We walked through to the back of the office where the broom cupboard is. Well, that's what it's supposed to be anyway. As soon as Dom opened the door, lights came on and screens lit up.
I typed a code into one screen, gave my finger print to another and had to say 'cheese slice' to another before the wall gave way to a passageway that was lit up with bright, white lights.
We walked down the passageway to the other end before having to put more codes into more computers before the door opened to headquarters. As you could probably tell, security was pretty tight.
We walked into the brightly lit room where there were people walking around with mounds of paperwork in their arms or coffee in their hands.
'Scarlett!' came a voice that I instantly recognized.
I turned around to see Frankie walking over to me with his partner, Ray, walking behind. Frankie and Ray are originally from the American Protection Agency, but were transferred to help out with a mission. Even after they'd done they're mission, they decided to stay here in London.
'Hey Frankie.' I said, noticing he was holding something behind his back. 'What have you got there?' trying to get a look at what he was holding.
'Oh, just a little something for a certain someone who's birthday I forgot last week.' he said innocently.
I smiled. It had been my birthday last week and Frankie forgot. He felt really guilty because I had remembered his birthday, but I didn't really care that he'd forgotten.
Noticing my smile, Frankie smiled too. 'Here,' he said, handing me a rectangular package, 'happy late birthday.'
'You really shouldn't have worried, I don't care that you forgot my birthday.' I said, opening the present. When I got the wrapping off, I was holding the Dr Who complete second series in my hands.
'Frankie! Thank you so much!' I said, hugging him. Ever since Frankie moved here, I got him into Dr Who. It was all we ever talked about when we weren't busy.
Frankie laughed. 'You're welcome.' he said, hugging me back.
'Jefferson? Howard?' came a voice from the other side of the room that belonged to Chris Wolstenholme. Chris is the big boss, the chief. His family have been in the Secret Services for generations, that's why Chris got the job, because his family are highly respected Secret Agents.
'Coming.' I called, walking over to my desk and putting the DVDs down before walking towards Chris' office with Dom.
When we were seated in the office, Chris turned to us and smiled, 'I have an assignment for you two.'
Chris looked really big and scary, and he sure acted that way when he was pissed off, but really he was one of the sweetest guys I knew. He was probably about 31, which was young for a chief, and was especially nice to Dom and I. According to him, we were 'the best this place has ever seen'. That's why we were the only ones who were allowed to call him Chris.
Dom was practically jumping out of his chair with excitement, as was I. 'What is it?' he asked with a giant grin on his face.
'Calm down, I was getting to that.' Chris said with a laugh. 'We are getting transfers from America, and it is your job to guess who they are.'
'That's it?' I asked, 'It's pretty much a test?'
'Exactly.' Chris continued, 'They don't know who you are either, so it's your job to figure out who they are before they figure you out.'
Dom and I looked at each other with smiles on our faces. This was going to be easy.
'They are going to be at the big party for the opening of the art gallery tomorrow night.' Chris' face then turned serious. 'But this isn't just fun and games. You're going there for a reason. Apparently, some of Dr. J's henchmen are going to be there.'
Dr. J. Dom and I had been on his trail for the past 5 years, but he was very good at covering his tracks, or he just got his men to do his dirty work for him. The only information we had on him was that either his first, second or last name started with J, hence the name Dr. J, and that he had a habit of stealing very valuable items.
Like last year, he stole a priceless jewel from a museum exhibition without leaving a single hair. It's like he's a ghost. No one knows what he looks like, no one has ever seen him.
'So,' Chris continued, 'the main goal is to find the two transfers before Dr.J's men do anything, like try and steal that incredibly expensive portrait they just got at the gallery, and then together, you four will try and stop anything from going missing. We've got to try and get information from Dr. J's men.'
Dom and I nodded. This was going to be fun.
'Ok, it's formal, so go down to Sally in the clothing department, get something to wear and then you can go home.'
Dom and I walked out of the office and towards the elevators. We went down one level to where most of the disguises were kept. There were wigs, glasses and a whole lot of other stuff to change ones appearance. Then, there were the clothes. Rows and rows and rows of clothes.
As soon as we got out of the elevator, Sally, the lady who was head of the disguises department, came to our aid. Neither Dom or I could navigate our way through all the clothes and find anything good.
'Hey guys, what can I help you with?' she asked in her kind, busy voice.
'Ah, we need something formal.' said Dom, running a hand through his blond hair.
'Ok.' said Sally, already walking through one of the aisles and scanning the racks.
She hummed while she searched, walking rather quickly for someone who is as short as she is.
I let my hand run over the different fabrics as I passed, looking for something that would be of my liking.
'Ah ha!' came Sally's triumphant voice after a lot of searching. She pulled out a tux and held it towards Dom. 'I think this will fit you perfectly!'
Sally knew everyones measurements for times like this. I always thought it was amazing that she could remember it all.
'Now, something for you, my dear.' she said, walking down the aisle as Dom walked towards the changing rooms with his tux.
'So, how's Matt?' Sally asked.
'Ah, yer, good.' I said.
'You two still coming over for dinner on Friday night?' she asked. Sally was engaged to Frankie. They started dating shortly after Frankie and Ray moved here. We usually took turns to have dinner over each others places every couple of weeks.
'Yer, of course.' I said. 'I hope your making your wonderful lasagna.'
Sally laughed, 'Of course.'
'Good.' I said smiling. Sally was a wonderful cook.
'Here we go.' said Sally, pulling out a long black dress with a low v-neck and a big slit down the side.
'Thanks.' I said, taking the dress and walking towards the dressing rooms. When I got closer to the dressing rooms, Dom came out wearing is tux.
'What do you think?' Dom asked
'Nice.' I said, nodding in approval.
'I know' he said with a cheeky grin, before walking back into change rooms to change back into his normal attire.
After trying on the dress, liking it, then putting my normal clothes back on, Dom and I said our goodbyes to Sally and went to the locker rooms to put our outfits away, ready for tomorrow night.
'So, how are my sister and nephew going?' I asked. Dom and my sister, Emily, married five years ago and have a kid called Ben, who I adore.
Dom smiled, 'Emily's good. Ben's got the flu, so he's not exactly great.'
'Naww, I might have to get him that remote control car he wanted.' I said, smiling. I loved spoiling him.
'No,' said Dom, 'you spoil him too much.'
'That's my job isn' it?'
'No, your job is to be nice and look after him, but not nice enough to buy him something everytime you see him.' said Dom, leaning against his locker as I got my bag and other stuff out of mine.
I just sighed and rolled my eyes, 'Your no fun.'
'Exactly.' He said, 'Anyways, how is my dear Matthew going, then? Feeding him, are you?'
I laughed. Dom and Matt have known eachother since they were kids. That's how I met Matt, through Dom.
'Actually, he's feeding me tonight. He decided he would make dinner.'
'Oh god, let me guess, pasta?' said Dom, laughing.
I laughed, 'Yes, actually.'
Dom shook his head, 'Is that the only thing he knoes how to cook?'
'I think so.' I said, looking at my watch, 'Well, I best be going.'
'Same,' said Dom, following me as I walked out of the locker room and towards the exit.
When we were nearly out of the door, I remembered my present from Frankie. I quickly went back to my desk and picked it up. I looked back at Frankie, who winked at me before turning back to his desk.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading. Hope you enjoyed :D
Maddie x