Status: Slowly Active

Melting a Heart of Ice

Journey to Helms Deep

Triina and Legolas joined Aragorn in the hall as he blocked Èowyn’s sword as she practiced with it. Triina let out a quiet giggle, that she tried desperately to hide, but only Legolas noticed it. Èowyn kept her blade raised, and grip firm, while Aragorn lowered his in respect. Only after his was lowered did she sheath her own sword. “Women of this country learned long ago that those without swords might still die upon them.” she sighed, “I fear neither pain, nor death.” She muttered. Triina’s respect for the Rohirrim woman grew as she watched her. “What do you fear, My Lady?” Aragorn questioned. “A cage. To stay behind bars until use and old age accept them. And all chance of valor has gone beyond recall or desire.” She answered. “You are a daughter of kings. A shieldmaiden of Rohan. I do not think that will be your fate.” he assured.

Triina felt butterflies in her stomach for a second, but not because Legolas’ hand was resting on the small of her back. Èowyn was falling for Aragorn, but she was sure she was the only one who knew it. Even Èowyn didn’t know exactly what she was feeling yet

Before long the entire city was traveling to Helms Deep. Triina and Legolas rode side by side, while Legolas rode on the back of his horse. “Does it ever bother you to get these looks?” Gimli asked her as a group of small children stared at her, whispering and muttering to each other. “Not really. There are times I do wish I wasn’t so different here, but you must think about how strange I looked to you when you first saw me. They are curious, and that’s understandable.” She answered, smiling to the children who quickly turned away from her. “And the others?” he questioned, referring to the adults who made it clear they wanted her nowhere near them, or their children. “They are afraid, and for good reason. The enemy’s creatures of this war come in all forms and I could easily be an assassin sent to destroy all of Rohan. Though we know I would never harm them, they don’t. I have been given those looks my entire life; It is nothing new to me to strike fear or disgust to those around me, simply by existing.” She sighed, though keeping her smile, “Remember, Gimli, I can feel their emotions. That ability makes their stars and jests much easier to tolerate.”

A short way behind her, Èowyn, Aragorn, and King Théoden were also having a conversation about Triina’s hair, and it’s affect on Théoden’s people. “She is a very skilled warrior, with one of the kindest hearts I’ve known.” Aragorn smiled. “I have never heard of this kingdom… Til’Arin.” King Théoden announced, looking at Triina with a slightly disapproving expression. “Many haven’t, My Lord. Her people have been a passive race for great many years; since before the first war against Sauron. They haven’t left their city and lands, for they have had no need. Eventually they passed into memory, legend, and then out of the minds of Middle Earth completely. Though a few stories remain of them, their name has been long forgotten by most kingdoms.” He explained. “If they are a passive race, why does she arm herself, and fight alongside your Fellowship?” Èowyn questioned. “To restore her people to their once great name. The Til’Arin weren’t always passive, they were once a race of greatly known warriors. Her title is Sillis Triina, of Til’Arin, daughter of Sillis Arrine, of Til’Arin. Sillis is the royal family name.” he smiled proudly. “So she is their queen?” King Théoden asked.

“Her mother is their queen.”

“Then why does her mother not fight, instead of sending her daughter to the frontlines?”

“Her daughter sent herself, My Lord; Triina was raised by her father King Radill, only visiting Til’Arin a few times in her life. She often visited Lord Elrond in Rivendell and that is a second home to her. I believe she, My Lord, would better answer your questions. There are still many things I do not know about her, her past, and her people.”

Suddenly Triina’s laughter filled the air, and when he looked over to see what had happened, both she and Gimli were on the ground. “It’s all right! It’s all right, nobody panic! That was deliberate, it was deliberate!” Gimli announced. “It was deliberate to pull her from her horse, as well?” Legolas questioned as one of the men helped Triina to her feet. “I did no such thing!” Gimli scoffed. “It’s true. I leaned to catch him and fell. It seems your clumsiness is infecting me.” She giggled after thanking the man who helped her. “You should see the looks you are being given now.” Legolas chuckled, nodding behind him to Aragorn, Èowyn and King Théoden. She turned to see looks of confusion, concern, and full amusement, and with a laugh waved to them before climbing back onto her horse and riding onward with the rest of King Théoden’s people.

Later the precession camped, and Legolas and Triina went off alone to talk. She had given Aragorn a quick explanation as to why they needed to be away from the others, and he gave her the permission she so felt she needed.

“Your fears are growing stronger, aren’t they?” Legolas questioned as they stood just far enough from the crowd to avoid being seen or heard. “I still hear his voice. Aragorn will die, you will die, and my mother will die. These people will be slaughtered in their small numbers against the great army that will be sent to us… I cannot bear such losses. This battle will take all reasoning for me to remain. I fight for my people and their queen, but our queen will die. I fight for you, for our love, but without you… We have already seen what would become of me if I lost you…”

“Shh, Triina, please do not cry. You have no reason to fear these losses. How would your mother perish in this battle, if she resides in Til’Arin, far, far north from here?” he asked, reminding her that Lyle’s predictions were not set in stone. “You’re right,” she smiled after a short while of thinking. “You are a wise woman, Triina, but your loving heart often blocks your vision.” He chuckled as she wrapped her arms around him. “I was born with a heart of ice, Legolas. There are very few that I have accepted love from and given it in return.” She sighed. “And I am honored to have luck enough to become one of them.” He smiled, tightening his embrace just to feel her cold body against his better. “I love you,” she muttered while twisting his golden hair through her fingers. “I love you, too.” He smiled, and kissed her lightly before guiding her back to the others.

After returning to Gimli and Aragorn, they joined them in trying to enjoy some form of stew that Èowyn had created. It was far from delicious, but as Èowyn pointed out, it was hot. Not five feet from them, a group of children were huddled together muttering about something. Their muttering turned to arguing, and finally a small redheaded boy, no older than nine years, was pushed forward by the other, older children to stand beside Aragorn. The boy was extremely nervous, and was unable to speak when Aragorn asked what it was he needed.

“Who is it you have come to ask about, the small hairy man, or the woman with turquoise hair?” Triina asked with a friendly smile. Gimli choked on his stew at the mention of a “small hairy man”.

“They… w-we were…”

“What’s your name?” she asked, cutting off his nervous stuttering.

“Aedán, son of Aodhán.”

“Well. Aedán, son of Aodhán, what is it you and your friends were wondering about?” she inquired, shocking Legolas, Aragorn, and Gimli with her skill dealing with children. “Y-your hair… why is it like that?” he asked shyly.

“All of my people have strangely colored hair. Most commonly seen colors are green, blue, and this green/blue like mine. But some of my people have purple, and hair redder than a fresh apple. And I have even seen, hair of sparkling silver, like treasure!” she explained enthusiastically.

“My Father is one a soldier under Théoden King. He has told me about a race of water warriors with hair like that! Long ago they fought with weapons of ice, creating them from any water around them!”

“Oh… like this, you mean?” she grinned, and forged a small dagger from the water in her canteen. All of the children gasped in amazement, and a few of them applauded. “Are you one of the Water Warriors?” Aedán gasped. “I am a Til’Arin, but perhaps my people could be the Water Warriors in your father’s stories. ” She smiled, melting the dagger and returning the water to its container.

The rest of her night was spent telling stories, and answering questions from the children. As the night went on, more people joined the group, eventually including King Théoden himself, as well as Èowyn. She retold the story of Lelir and Eevalin, taking honor in telling the final ending of their reunion and putting the ghost story to rest. She only stopped answering and explaining when King Théoden announced to the many children, and few adults that she needed to rest, giving her a chance to sleep before sunrise.

She woke the next day in Legolas’ arms to find that the rest of the precession was preparing to leave, and nearly ready. Since her death and revival in Fangorn, waking up to his loving eyes watching over her carefully wasn’t uncommon. In fact, she hadn’t woken from sleep without it since then. Often she was told he would take and hold her because of a nightmare she was having, but only on one or two occasions did she remember her dream; unfortunately this was one of those few occasions.

“Good morning,” she smiled, but made no move to sit up. “It is now.” He replied and kissed her lightly before standing and pulling her to her feet with him. “Ah, they’re up! We won’t have to carry them after all!” Gimli announced with a laugh. “Many of the people are worried about you, are you all right?” Èowyn asked her with great concern as soon as the announcement was made. “Yes, I’m all right. I’ve noticed war tends to bring nightmares now and then. Nothing for anyone to worry themselves about.” She nodded and mounted Vesi to ride beside Aragorn and King Théoden, by Aragorn’s request.

“You called my name in your nightmare,” he pointed out as they traveled.

“I know. I dreamt you were killed in battle. I doubt I can withstand another loss of that magnitude, if these nightmares became real I would lose almost everything worth fighting for.

“I never saw myself leading Til’Arin in battle. I never saw myself as their future queen, or riding beside a king to help defend his people. My mother has the crown, and I have lived knowing that. Until now the realization that I one day will be responsible for the lives of all Til’Arin has never come to me. At least until these nightmares of what is to come.

“I spoke to Lyle in my dreams. He showed me things that he says will come to be. Not all things are certain, for no being knows all, but many things seen in the world of the dead come to pass. Dreadful images were what he showed me. Your death, the death of my mother, Legolas’ death, all of Rohan in ruins, the waters of Til’Arin drying away as their once-great city falls… I admit Aragorn, I am afraid to have such responsibility.”

“A nightmare is never a set-in-stone prophecy. Have faith in those around you.” King Théoden nodded. “Wise words, Théoden King, however I can feel that you are as concerned for the future of your people as I with mine.” She sighed.

Suddenly a few people ahead of her stopped and she heard what sounded like a child crying out in pain. One of the soldiers ran ahead, pushing his way through the people until he reached the redheaded boy who sat on the ground, attempting to hide his tears. Triina immediately dismounted and ran to his aid also.

“I am no physician or healer; I have no way of telling if my son’s ankle is broken or not.” The soldier sighed while comforting his boy. “You are Aodhán, correct?” she questioned.

“Yes, how do you know my name?”

“Your son Aedán, and I spoke briefly while we camped last night.” She smiled while examining Aedán’s ankle. “I can say with great confidence, that it isn’t broken. Being sprained is a very strong possibility, but there are no breaks in the bone that I can find.” She announced.

“Can he walk?”

“He could, but it would be unbearable pain.”

“We have no horses without riders, and I cannot carry him.”

“Aedán, have you ever ridden a horse before?” she questioned, knowing the answer if his father was a soldier of Rohan.

“Of course!”

“Good, come on, up you get.” She grunted while lifting him to his feet, “He can ride Vesi, he’s a very tame horse and well trained.” She explained to Aodhán after feeling his confusion. Once the boy was safely mounted on Vesi, she took the reins and walked beside, leading the horse to walk behind King Théoden’s.

“Aragorn, take these reins.” She ordered suddenly, after noticing Legolas standing a ways away, focusing his gaze on something they were unable to see. Aragorn nodded and led Vesi, while she ran past King Théoden, leaving the King confused to her actions.

Aodhán was on his horse beside Legolas, watching the elf closely as she ran up to them. “What is it?” she demanded, noticing that Aodhán’s horse was becoming restless; something wasn’t right. Aragorn and King Théoden rode up a short distance behind them, leaving Èowyn in charge of Vesi and the injured boy riding him as an orc riding an almost wolf-like beast appeared. The beast charged and attacked Aodhán, killing him quickly. Triina whipped out her Ice Blades and began to fight the orc rider as Legolas fired his bow and killed the beast. The orc was quickly silenced, but his cry had already echoed around them.

“What do you see?” King Théoden demanded. “Wargs, we’re under attack!” Aragorn announced, causing the people to panic. As King Théoden announced for all riders to go to the front to fight off the attack, Legolas grabbed Triina by the arms and forced her to look into his eyes; her expression was nothing short of terror. “You must help escort the people to Helms Deep. They will not have enough fighters to protect them; they need you Triina.” He said gravely. “Legolas, no! I refuse to leave you on the battlefield!” She stated firmly. “They need you, please Triina. I will be all right,” he assured before kissing her quickly on the lips, but also with great love and passion, “Let that be conformation of my promise to return to you.”

She whimpered a small noise of protest, but agreed. “Good, now go!” he shouted, and pushed her towards the villagers. “I love you, please don’t leave me.” She emotionally whispered before running with her swords drawn back to the villagers. She passed Aragorn, who was exchanging looks with Èowyn, silently communicating something, that even she couldn’t pick up, before running into battle with the rest of the men.

“Are you not fighting?” Èowyn asked when Triina ran to stand beside her. “More often than not the greatest part done in war is protecting those who can’t protect themselves, My Lady.” She nodded and sheathed her swords, “I don’t know the way to Helms Deep, you will have to lead us. I will stay on Vesi and ride the length of our procession to watch for attacks. Orcs are sneaky cowards; they would be so low that they will attack a child at the back of the line.” And with that she ran to Aedán.

“I want to ride with you.” He announced firmly.

“That is a dangerous request, Aedán. This is more than practice, and stories. This is real.”

“I know, but you are one of the Water Warriors! My father would be so proud to have a son who has ridden and fought alongside you. And more than that, I want to help. I can fight; I’ve trained with the guards and other Riders. Please, Lady Triina, may I ride with you?”

“You may ride with me, but if I see that things are becoming too dangerous,”

“Yes, I know. Thank you!”

“You’re welcome.” She sighed, and mounted behind him, riding to the back of the running precession to watch over everyone.

Back and fourth they rode, watching carefully for anything that could happen. For a very long time nothing was seen until Aedán gasped and pointed. “There!” he shouted, bringing her attention to a group of six orcs riding wargs heading straight for them. “Take him!” Triina yelled, and almost threw him to a group of three women. One of them quickly picked him up and carried him as she ran with everyone else, leaving Triina to ride back and face their attackers.

As soon as she was close enough she leapt from her horse with her swords drawn, and cut through one of the wargs, and its rider. Her feet hit the ground and she dove to dodge a second. By the time she looked up she was attacked by a third and dealt very deep bite wounds before she could react. She screamed in pain and at once the clouds that were perfectly white before turned dark and unleashed a downpour of rain, but only above her. The rain turned to ice, the ice turned to spears, and the spears killed the wargs. Her swords attracted the ice on their own, and became supernaturally sharp weapons that cut through bone like hot knives through butter. She couldn’t believe it, but within minutes the orcs and wargs were all dead. Vesi trotted up to her after she dismissed the rain, and took her to follow the villagers to Helms Deep, by now it was visible to them, and as she rode yelling to them to be quick their hope filled her as well, dismissing any fears from her dreams.

Èowyn at once took charge, and began going over supplies and other things, after ordering the people whom knew medicine to treat any wounded. “Lady Triina!” Aedán called out as soon as he saw her limping past him. “Aedán, I’m glad to see you made it here safely.” She smiled weakly. “You’re hurt! You need to be treated!” he gasped, suddenly noticing the blood from her bites.

“I’ll be all right, I just need some water.” She laughed, and sat beside him.

“Water can’t heal that, you could die!”

“No, no. Water can heal these wounds, and quite quickly too.” She chuckled and took a small bowl of water that had been used to clean someone else’s wounds before her, and poured it over her wounds, making it freeze instantly. Aedán watched in amazed awe as her wounds closed before his eyes under their icy casings. “And the great thing about this, is I can move water, but not blood. So,” she explained while transferring the ice back into the bowel and melting it, “the water remains clean to be used again. Though it will be quite a bit colder.”

“And you are fully healed now?”

“For the most part. I am healed enough to fight again, should I need to.”

“Can the water heal others too?”

“I doubt it, unless they are Til’Arin.”

Aedán nodded and stood up; his ankle wasn’t sprained after all, only twisted. “When my father returns, he will want to hear all about how you fought off those wargs. I was able to see as we ran it was like the stories come to life! I have never seen someone swing a sword so fast!” he raved as they walked together, checking on the other people. Triina was thrilled to see that there were very few who were injured, “But he has seen you fight, he was there with you when the wargs first attacked! I’m sure he is just as impressed as I am at your skill. Maybe we can train with you, one day if you would allow us to.

“He has always pushed for me to be a strong warrior. After my mother and brother were killed by orcs, he wanted to be sure I could protect myself. He is all I have left of my family now, and I’m all that is left of his. We live to protect and take care of each other. One day I hope to be as good a fighter as he is. But that day won’t come for many years.”

Triina’s throat tightened as he spoke so highly of his father. Until he was mentioned just then she had forgotten whom the warg scout had mauled before the attack had truly begun. It wasn’t until Aedán asked her what was wrong that she also realized that she had stopped walking. “Aedán, I need to speak with you. Perhaps we should move to a less crowded area.” She sighed, and led him to a small area where the people were storing damaged carts. “What is it, Lady Triina? Something has changed, you aren’t as cheerful now as you were.” He asked, and it hurt her how innocently oblivious this child was to the news that was about to come to him, “Is it about my father?” he asked worriedly after seeing the look in her eyes.

“Yes, Aedán. It is about your father.” She sighed, and knelt to his level, refusing to cry in front of him; she would have to be strong for him the same way the Fellowship had been strong for her through her mourning for Lyle, Gandalf, and Boromir. “He will not be returning with the other soldiers, I’m very sorry to be the one to give you this news. I too have lost family to this war, and though I cannot tell you I fully understand, or have felt, what you are feeling now, I do know what it is like to lose someone very close to you.” She explained quietly.

Tears built up in the boy’s eyes, but he refused to let them fall. He bit his lip and avoided her eyes while she searched for his. He finally looked up to meet hers after swallowing a few times to keep his emotions back, but she could feel his sorrow a thousand times more than she felt King Théoden’s grief for his son. “H-how?” he asked with all the pain of a broken child. “I’m sorry, I don’t have the strength to tell you; I fear your grief now is too strong.” She sighed, placing her hand on his shoulder to offer some comfort.

“Tell me! How did my father, d-die?!”

“He was attacked by the warg scout. It was quick; I was unable to help him. I am truly sorry for that, I take the fault for his death.”

Aedán’s tears were falling to the ground quickly as they poured from his eyes. He made a small noise and shook his head before swallowing back his pain again; “You have no blame, L-Lady Triina. My fath-father will not want me t-to blame you for this.”

“You are a strong boy, Aedán. Stronger than I will ever be. When I lost Lyle, who was nothing less than a brother in my eyes, I was unable to remain this composed. I cried, and screamed, and sobbed for days for him. I cannot express the respect I hold for you, you father is clearly a great man.” She nodded. Something changed in Aedán then, and he broke down in her arms. Perhaps the reality of Aodhán’s death came to his realization, or perhaps he simply was unable to hold back his pain anymore, but either way she was going to hold and comfort him to the best of her ability. Being a woman, it was in her blood to take care of any child in need, and Aedán was more than in need.

Once he calmed down, he took it upon himself to stand as a guard of Helms Deep until King Théoden returned with the other soldiers. Triina stood with him for quite a while before going to speak with Èowyn at sunset, and finally as the early signs of sunrise became visible, she surrendered to sleep.