Status: Slowly Active

Melting a Heart of Ice

The River

The Fellowship’s mood was light, and for the first time Triina felt no guilt for Lyle’s death. Lady Galadriel had spoken to her about it, but without words; her voice echoed through Triina’s thoughts as they departed from the Elves.

Now, a great weight had been lifted from the Til’Arin woman, as she steered her boat behind Boromir, Gimli, and Legolas. They had made a truce, and no more water was being splashed between boats, but they were still light-hearted and joking about one another. “You know, Pip, I think you’re right; Legolas does sort of look like a woman.” Merry smirked. Triina once again filled the air with her laughter as Legolas sent a glare at the two giggling hobbits. “Oh come now, at least he can work a bow; unlike the woman in your boat, who would surely starve if it weren’t for us, who do all the hunting.” Boromir smirked. “Hey! I can fish!” she retorted with a laugh. He nodded and laughed with her until she stopped suddenly, and looked off in the same direction as Legolas had focused on at the same time.

“What is it?” Aragorn asked. “I’m not sure… there is something in the woods; we are being followed.” Legolas answered quietly. “Triina?” he asked after receiving Legolas’ answer. “We should be all right until nightfall. The waters are only sending me a warning to be aware; there is no immediate danger here. But be on your guard.” She replied.

Night fell quickly, and the Fellowship set up camp on a small island for the night. There was hardly enough room for them, but it was much safer than sleeping on the bank of the river.

Boromir and Aragorn were arguing over something, but Triina hadn’t the energy, or the interest to follow their words, or even their emotions. Frodo, on the other hand, she was following. He was suffering. Sam had tried to offer him food, but he refused, and he hadn’t been sleeping much either.

“Frodo,” she said as she sat beside him as he lay awake listening to the two men argue. “Yes, Triina?” he sighed, rolling onto his back to look at her.

“Although this is your burden to bear, you aren’t alone. We cannot help you to carry this weight ourselves, but we can offer you our strength.”

“I’m sorry… I don’t understand.”

“Take this river. As great as it is, it would never be strong enough to cut through a mountain as so many other rivers have. And take the clouds, they are unable to join the river, to do such a task. But the rain, the rain comes from the clouds and into the river. Frodo, what happens to a river after a rainstorm?”

“The level rises, and the currents are stronger.”

“Exactly. The currents are stronger. You are the river, Frodo. We are simply your clouds.” She nodded, and placed a hand on his shoulder. “Get some rest, Frodo.” She smiled, and left him to think. He nodded and rolled back onto his side, to see a small lightly colored river rock, tied to a thin leather cord. He smiled and put it around his neck to hang just above the Ring, and fell asleep.

The next morning, Aragorn woke everyone up early to set out. This time Triina, Frodo, and Aragorn were on one boat, Legolas, Sam, and Merry in another, and Boromir, Pippin, and Gimli in the last one.

“Triina, something Sam and I were discussing last night after everyone was asleep, about when you talk about your people, and their history,” Frodo stated as she steered their boat, “is that you never mention any names. The Second Family, the Three Sons, the Great Leaders… but none of them have names. Why?”

“That would be because no one remembers them. We remember what they’ve done, but their names have been too long forgotten.”

“If they were such great leaders, why doesn’t anyone remember their names?”

“Because, when the Time of Peace came, their names were no longer spoken. To join a fight, was against the new laws. The stories were still told, but the names were changed to keep the tellers from being arrested. Eventually their true names were forgotten, and when the reign of that family came to an end, and the laws were abandoned, no one could remember their real names. So we tell the stories by their titles, instead of the many names they have been given.”

“Why didn’t they just start to fight again, when that family wasn’t leading the kingdom anymore?”

“Because, along with the names of our Great Kings, and leaders, the knowledge of combat was also forgotten. Only when my family took the throne, did the Til’Arin take weapons into their hands again. And even now, our army is very small, and timid.”

“And you aim to change this.” Aragorn stated.

“The kingdom of Til’Arin, was once a very great kingdom with many allies, and many victories. We are now seen as a city of cowards by the few who even remember us. Most races now, elves, men, hobbits… the Til’Arin are either myth and fantasy, or they have never heard of us.” She sighed, “I do aim to change this; to restore the Til’Arin to their once honorable, and courageous name. And with the Ice Blades in my hands, I can lead my people once again to victory.”

He nodded and looked onward thoughtfully. Silence fell over the Fellowship, and Triina was just as immersed in thought as Aragorn and Frodo were. After a while of drifting down the river, two great statues came into view on either side of the river. They stood proud, with their hands up in what she saw to be a warning gesture. They reminded her of the statues her people had of the Great Leaders.

Aragorn looked up to them and gave a half smile, before tapping Frodo, who was dozing off, on the shoulder. “The Argonath! Long have I desired to look upon the kings of old. My kin” he announced. She smiled and nodded as the rest of the Fellowship looked at the majestic figures in awe and wonder.

They continued to travel the river until they came to a great waterfall, and pulled their boats onto a gravel beach. Aragorn needed no help pulling the boat ashore, and left Triina to walk beside Legolas as he pulled his ashore. “The waters are restless, their warning is more than it was before.” She muttered to him, not wanting to alarm the hobbits behind them. “Yes, I know. I have felt a threat as well.” He sighed as they joined Aragorn and the rest of the Fellowship on the beach.

“We cross the lake at nightfall. Hide the boats and continue on foot. We approach Mordor from the north.” Aragorn announced. Triina cringed; the waters did not agree with his decision. Gimli voiced his disapproval as well, announcing just how difficult the path would be. “That is our road! I suggest you take some rest, and recover your strength, Master Dwarf.” He retorted. Gimli walked away, grumbling about how no dwarf needs to recover his strength.

“We should leave now.” Legolas said. “No. Orcs patrol the Eastern Shore, we must wait for the cover of darkness.” Aragorn explained. “Even with that point, the river rages at the decision; it knows something we don’t.” Triina sighed. “Aragorn, it is not the Eastern Shore that worries me. A shadow and a threat have been growing in my mind. Something draws near… I can feel it.” Legolas explained.

Aragorn was about to say something else, but Merry had just come back with firewood and noticed something that they had not. “Where’s Frodo?” he asked, making Triina freeze. Aragorn looked around the camp, letting his eyes rest on Boromir’s abandoned shield.
♠ ♠ ♠
Feedback?