Sequel: Chains

Last Chance

Chapter 1

Grace

I caught myself on a large gum tree, pausing for only a second before taking off again. I rush through the undergrowth trying to use the Australian scrub for shelter. My heart pounds in my chest, tears stream down my face in an endless stream. I keep running though, running away from the world I loathed. My beautiful dress getting ripped to shreds as I tear through the undergrowth, I hear my name being called, as I run further the voices become fainter and fainter before long I can’t hear them at all.

I come to a beautiful creek, the water glistens like crystal, throwing off rays of sunshine that makes the bush sparkle. I stumble on a root and fall to the ground, my breath coming out in short desperate puffs. I look down and see my beautiful white dress completely destroyed, the long train almost completely torn off, the edges ripped, sticks and debris caught up in the loose threads.

I laugh at the state of my feet, scratched, and bruised my pedicure completely destroyed. How mother would be so shocked to see me like this, a complete mess, but I have never felt so alive, the world seems brighter, happier. I get up and walk over to the creeks edge; I take a seat on one of the large rocks and dangle my feet in the water, letting the gentle current clean the wounds.

I let my mind wonder, how did this day get so out of control, I look down at my destroyed wedding dress. Most girls dream about their wedding day, I did too when I was a little girl but as I got older things changed I realised sometimes you didn’t get to marry for love. Sometimes you have to marry people for the good of your family, that’s what I was destined to do, marry someone I didn’t know, let alone love for the sake of my family. And I probably would have gone through with it If I hadn’t known what true love felt like, the rush of warmth, the feeling of complete safety and the glorious feeling of finally finding your true other half.

The sound of hooves pounding the earth makes me jump up, forgetting all about my stupid excuse of a wedding, adrenalin and fear pulses through me making my heart pound in my chest once more. As the figure comes into view my heart beats fast for a different reason, I jump of the rock and run over. He wraps his strong lean arms around me, “Oh James” I sigh into his chest. He leans down and presses his warm soft lips to mine; my body fills with warmth once more. “I love you Grace” he murmurs. In response I bring my hands around his neck and kiss him with everything I have, I let the passion and pain flow free.

Later that night with the fire blazing and the swag set up, James eases himself onto the ground and pulls me into his lap, neither of us say a word; we are content just being in each other’s company. Once again I let my mind wonder back to my past and the world I have come from.