Sequel: Chains

Last Chance

Chapter 2

Grace

“Your bags are packed lady Grace” murmurs my maid, “good, you are dismissed for the evening” I reply evenly. I watch as my maid leaves the room, I finally let go of the tears I have been holding in all day, I look around my room one last time because as of tomorrow I will board a ship to the land they call Australia to marry some stranger I have never met, I truly despise off this life, no one gets to marry for love, It’s all for business and wealth.

The trip was long and tiresome, my thoughts were chaotic but since I was a little girl I have learnt to keep my emotions off my face. A horse and carriage awaits us at the dock, our luggage already on the back. “My lady, welcome to Australia” greets A man, “thank you” I reply as he helps my sister Willow and me up into the back of the carriage. Once we were seated in the carriage, the horses took off into a fast pace “He was cute” whispers my sister, “Oh hush” but I had to admit he was rather handsome.

The homestead was grand, large gardens surround the estate; the house had an English style to it, a style much too refined to go with the beautiful Australian landscape. Well at least Mother was right they were wealthy, well they would have to be, otherwise there would be no way they would be able to get one let alone both of the Pearce sisters from England, honestly we were treated like royalty. It’s a pain really.

A handful of maids waited for us outside the homestead, the man took my gloved hand to help me down, I placed my foot on the step and to my horror I slipped, I fell forwards, heading straight for the ground. Strong hands grabbed me around my waist, catching me before I fell. “Whoa, are you okay” anxious brown eyes stared down at me, his strong hands still gripping my tiny waist. Flushing with embarrassment, I stepped out of the embrace, “Thank you Sir” I answered respectfully. “You’re welcome Lady Grace” he tilted his hat forward, but not before I saw him wink, and a playful smile spread across his face. Also to my surprise I felt a true smile spread across my face. “Lady Grace, are you alright?” gushed the handful of maids. “I’m fine” and with that I turned to go into the large homestead, my new home.