Status: One-shot. Completed. Won Third Place!

I'm Partial to Your Lips

1/1.

I ran my hand over my face before fishing in my pocket for my keys. Straight from a stressful day at work to a stressful night at home. Let’s just say that my boyfriend and I have been on the rocks lately. He wants to go out and party all night, but I just want to come in after working at my dad’s law firm and relax. I don’t know. Everyone’s always said we’re the perfect balance. He’s loud and full of energy 24/7, and I’m quiet and serious. Zack Merrick and Kyle Burns, the golden couple. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t know what I would do if I lost Kyle, but fuck, we have some real issues to work through right now. My friends Jack, Rian and Alex have been telling me to just sit him down and confront him, but it’s never that easy, is it? With a final sigh, I unlocked the front door to my apartment and stepped in, closing it after me. Kyle lives with a few of his friends across town because he doesn’t think we’ve reached that stage of our relationship yet. We’ve been together nearly 2 years. But whatever.

I kicked off my shoes and walked down the corridor, only to see something flickering from inside the living room. What the fuck is in there? I moved as quickly and quietly as I could, only to freeze as someone poked their head round the doorway.

“Kyle?” I frowned.

My blonde boyfriend just grinned and leapt at me. I caught him effortlessly, allowing him to wrap his legs around my waist and his arms round my neck, despite that fact he’s the same height as me.

“What are you doing here? How did you get in here?” I asked, confused.

“I might’ve picked the lock on the front door? You need to remember your dead lock, babe. And I wanted to surprise you,” Kyle smiled.

“I thought you were going out with Caleb and Austin,” I frowned.

“I told them to go without me. I wanted to have a night in with you,” Kyle pouted.

I rolled my eyes playfully, lowering him to the floor.

“Why the surprise though? I could’ve picked you up after work and save my door from being violated,” I mused, lacing his fingers with mine.

“Ah, but then I wouldn’t have had time to make this!” Kyle said excitedly.

I raised an eyebrow at him, but let him pull me into the living room. My jaw dropped at what I saw. From the ceiling light was strung a massive blanket, with other blankets draped over chairs, all held up by what looked like fire pokers. All the curtains in the room were drawn and everything was lit by a few lamps, one inside the structure.

“It’s a blanket fort,” I murmured, still shocked.

“Don’t you like it?” Kyle asked worriedly.

“I just…I don’t understand why you did it, baby,” I frowned, looking at him.

Kyle looked down as his feet, biting his bottom lip.

“I know we’ve been having problems lately. I know Jack, Alex and Rian think I’m stupid, but I’m not – I have noticed. I just wanted to do something that would mean everything but us is blocked out, so we can talk,” Kyle said softly.

A warmth spread from my heart upon hearing his words. He really is the most adorable person I’ve ever met. With a small smile I tilted his head up and pressed a slow tender kiss to his lips, before pulling away.

“Only you would think of a blanket fort,” I chuckled, pecking his nose.

Kyle wrinkled his nose, another adorable trait, but then he smiled. Good.

“I’m gonna get changed, so give me a minute,” I told him.

I can’t relax in my stiff work suit. Yuck.

“Just take your shirt and pants off, stay in your boxers,” Kyle shrugged.

“Oh you’d like that, huh?” I teased.

Kyle just blushed and walked over to the fort, crawling inside. I grinned and quickly unbuttoned my shirt, throwing it to the side, before I took off my formal pants and socks. Mm much better. Without another thought I crawled into the fort, marveling at how well it was made. Kyle really put a lot of effort into this, didn’t he? I settled down on the mattress and duvet Kyle had put down (I’m assuming it’s from my guest room) and propped my head up with my hand, my elbow resting on the pillow. He stared unashamedly at my torso for a few seconds before looking up at my face. Nice.

“It’s just like we’re going camping,” Kyle breathed excitedly.

“Sure is,” I nodded, resting my hand on his waist.

“So what do you think?” Kyle asked happily, lying on his front and leaning up on his elbows.

“I think this is the most amazing thing anyone’s ever done for me. Ever,” I said honestly.

Kyle blushed and grinned, ducking his head lightly. I couldn’t help but laugh at how cute he was being – this really has made my horrible day better already. But then Kyle frowned, and looked upset. What?

“Kyle, baby, what’s wrong?” I asked softly, cupping his face with my free hand.

“The one thing that’s important about camping and I forgot it! Freaking bug spray!” Kyle whined.

I tried to hold back my laughter, but I couldn’t. Kyle lifted his head and glared at me, tears filling his eyes.

“This isn’t funny, Zack! This is serious! I’ve ruined everything!” Kyle said through gritted teeth.

“I-I’m sorry, K-Kyle,” I choked between laughs, “But, you see, t-there’s one thing ab-about bug spray that I-I think you’ve forgotten,”

“Oh yeah? What’s that?” Kyle grumbled.

“You need bugs to use it on – baby, we’re indoors,” I grinned.

Kyle’s eyes went wide at his mistake, before he whimpered in embarrassment and buried his face in the crook of my neck. I shifted so I was lying on my back and wrapped my arms around him, chuckling softly. He really is something else.

“I feel so stupid,” Kyle muttered in my ear.

“I’ll admit, that wasn’t one of your high points, but it’s the thought that counts,” I mused.

Kyle lifted his head, still frowning slightly.

“I just want tonight to go well. We need this,” Kyle said seriously.

All the humor flooded from my body. He has a point.

“Yeah, I know we do,” I said softly.

The two of us were quiet for a minute or two, Kyle drawing patterns on my bare chest, while I just played with his hair. This is messed up.

“What’s going wrong with us, Zack? Everything was so good and then recently it’s all gone wrong. I don’t understand,” Kyle said quietly.

“I don’t know. It feels like we’re growing apart,” I murmured.

I hated those words coming out of my mouth, but I couldn’t bullshit him. Not tonight. Kyle sat up sharply, tears filling his eyes again, making me sit up too, crossing my legs in front of me. I hate seeing Kyle so upset, I really do. If there’s one thing in my life I can’t stand seeing, it’s Kyle crying. It breaks my heart.

“We’re not growing apart though, right? We can’t be!” Kyle pleaded.

“Baby, calm down. We can work through this, if we both want it to work,” I reassured him.

“Of course I want it to work! I love you!” Kyle whimpered.

“And I love you. We just need to figure out a way to balance, I think,” I said softly.

“Like what?” Kyle asked, chewing his bottom lip.

I took his hands in my own, lacing our fingers together before I spoke again.

“Like me finishing work earlier and not taking my stress out on you,” I suggested, smiling weakly.

“Like me going out drinking less and spending more nights with you,” Kyle added.

“And us moving in together,” I finished.

Kyle’s eyebrows shot up and I cursed under my breath. I know he doesn’t want to move in with me yet. I just wish he would so much!

“Y-You think moving in together would help us?” Kyle asked hesitantly.

“I know that just knowing you’re around would make me feel better. Even when you’re out and I come back from work to an empty apartment, to know you’d be coming back to me at some point that night would stop me worrying about you until the early hours of the morning. I know you don’t think we’re ready, but we have been together for nearly two years, Kyle,” I said quietly, looking down at my lap.

“Okay,” Kyle said simply.

I lifted my head, frowning.

“What?” I asked, shocked.

“If you think me moving in would help us, then okay, I’ll move in,” Kyle repeated, smiling.

“Baby, I’m not going to force you into anything you don’t want to do,” I said seriously.

“I don’t want to lose you. If moving in with you means that we get out of this horrible rocky patch we’re going through, then I’ll do it,” Kyle grinned.

“We can get a key cut tomorrow then,” I laughed.

Then Kyle’s eyes lit up like a child on Christmas. Oh dear, here we go.

“Ooh, can I get one of those keys with the patterns on? I’ve always wanted one of them and I know I wouldn’t lose it because they look so pretty, and…”

I grinned and pressed my lips firmly to his to stop his ramble, earning a small moan. I need to show him how much his decision means to me. As Kyle’s arms wrapped around my bare torso, one hand on my neck and one on my mid-back, I lowered him down on the mattress, straddling his waist. Our kiss was hot, fast and desperate, our lips moving in the fluent motion that we’ve gotten so used to over the years. I could never get enough of his scent, or the way he tastes. Or the way his body reacts to mine. For example, I ran my fingers underneath his t-shirt and up his chest, resulting in his lean muscles rippling under my touch and his skin breaking out in goosebumps. Hah. Kyle let me break the kiss for a mere few seconds to take his t-shirt off, before our lips reconnected again, an impossible heat building between our bare chests. His tongue brushed my bottom lip and pushed its way in, immediately wrapping around mine. Yes, this is what I can’t live without. When his hips bucked against mine, a groan tore from my throat, making me stir downstairs. What this man does to me! I decided I couldn’t wait anymore and started rubbing the crotch of his jeans, only to have Kyle break our kiss and push me off the mattress. What the fuck? Kyle giggled at my flustered, lustful expression as he crawled over to the corner of the blanket fort. I was even more confused when Kyle pressed something but then the soulful voice of John Mayer softly filled the room. Damn, he knows me well.

“I forgot the mood music,” Kyle shrugged, crawling back onto the mattress.

“Only you, Kyle, only you,” I chuckled, straddling his waist again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image
The only picture of Kyle and Zack together that I could find.
Love them so much!

This is also the longest one-shot I’ve ever written!
I hope you can find all the prompts in there =]
Comments are appreciated.
xo