Status: A Brian Haner Jr Story. Active. Being Edited as I work on new chapters.

Scars

Chapter 5

As she pulled the key out of the ignition, Tonya took a long deep breath to clear her head and calm her nerves. She then stepped out of the car, looking up at the Salon in front of her briefly before walking confidently into the building.

“Hi, can I help you?” the cheerful blonde asked from behind the desk.

“Um, yeah I’m here to see Gena. I’m Tonya.” She replied smiling back.

“Tonya?” a voice from behind her caught her attention. She turned to see another, vaguely familiar blonde walking towards her.

“Hi, sorry I’m a little early.” Tonya replied with a smile as she stepped forward to shake Gena’s hand.

“Don’t worry about it. Early is always good. Now why don’t we head through to the office?” she replied indicating the way.

She let them into a small office towards the rear of the salon, taking a seat behind the desk as Tonya sat on the other side.

“So, Johnny told me a little about your situation, has he told you anything about what’s going on here?” she asked.

“Um, yeah he mentioned that you were looking to expand the business, start doing beauty treatments and need someone to help you do that.” she replied.

“Yes, that’s right. I have my sights on a place up in Long Beach, do you know Evisa?” Tonya nodded with a smile; she knew the salon; it was one of the most well know salons in Long Beach it was the one she and Julia had often talked about it and how if the opportunity came up they would buy it to expand their business.

“Well, I have it on good authority that Sonia who runs it is looking to sell up. Apparently she’s wants to take early retirement and move to Florida,”

“And you want to buy it?” Tonya asked knowingly.

“Exactly, however, I want to keep this salon open as well and I obviously I’m going to need a partner to help me run the beauty side in Evisa too. My problem comes with finding someone I know I can trust. I’ve had trouble in the past you see.” She explained.

“Oh?” Gena nodded before she continued.

“Yeah, I found out that the girl I set up this business with was stealing supplies to help her run her other business. I found out that whenever she wasn’t working here, she was working from home, providing services for a fraction of the price we were asking for here.” She explained, her jaw tightening at the thought of her former partner.

“Shit,” Tonya muttered.

“Exactly, that’s what she said when she saw me stood in her living room with my bat.” Gena said with a wicked smile.

“A woman after my own heart.” Tonya said, mimicking the smile.

“So would you be interested in joining me in this little business venture?” Gena asked.

“Without a doubt yes, this is exactly the kind of opportunity I was hoping for. Evisa was always somewhere Julia and I were interested in.” Tonya replied with enthusiasm.

“Brilliant. The way I see it we’ll have a fifty-fifty share, basically with me in charge of the hair salon, you in charge of the beauty.” She began as she gathered up a few folders that were sat next to her. “I’ve started to put together a business plan, which I want you to take a look at and help me with so that we can take it to Sonia and show her how we would be able to carry on her business and keep it successful. We need to show her that we are the people she needs to sell it to.”

“Well, Julia actually has an appointment with someone who wants to buy Bliss tomorrow so hopefully we’ll be able to get the ball rolling soon.” Tonya replied with a smile.

They spent another two hours in Gena’s office, going over business plans before making arrangements to meet up later in the week to discuss things further. After leaving the salon, Tonya got back in her car and made her way over to Permanently Scarred.

With a beaming smile, she strode with confidence into the store, walking straight over to Johnny who was sat tattooing a man’s back.

“Hey Cuz, what’s up?” he said leaning back in his chair.

“Thank you.” she said as she embraced him.

“For what?” he asked as she pulled away.

“For setting me up that appointment with Gena, she’s awesome and I think I’m really going to enjoy going into business with her.” Tonya explained as she sat down in the seat at the station opposite him.

“It went well then?” Jimmy asked from where he was tattooing a woman.

“It went brilliantly, we got on so well too.” she replied.

“Well, I’m glad I could be of service.” Johnny said as the door opened, a young woman walking in looking slightly nervous.

“Hi, how can I help you?” Johnny asked as she took a few steps over to him.

“Well, I was um, hoping to get a tattoo.” She said with a polite smile.

“Then coming here was a good start.” Jimmy teased, the young woman blushing at his words.

“Ignore him sweetie, he thinks he’s funny.” Tonya said with a warm smile. “Where’s JB guys?”

“Day off.” Johnny replied as she stood and walked over to the large desk.

“Okay, come here sweetie, what kind of tattoo were you after?” she said grabbing the large diary where she knew the guys wrote their appointments.

As the young girl described the tattoo she wanted to Tonya, Jimmy and Johnny gave their replies, allowing Tonya to make an appointment for her.

“Are you sure you don’t want a job here instead?” Johnny asked as the young woman left.
Tonya shook her head with a laugh, “No, my talents would be wasted in this dive.”

“Hey, just remember you get discounted tattoos at this dive!” he said with a pointed tattooed gun.

“I know, and I am grateful.” She replied just as the door opened again, this time a tall dark haired man walked in, shades covering his eyes.

“Coffee’s up guys.” He said, as Tonya was about to greet him. She sat in total shock, recognising his voice as he handed both Johnny and Jimmy a cup of take out coffee.

“Thanks dude, and by the way, this is my cousin, Tonya, she comes in here from time to time to bug us.” Johnny said with a wave of his hand in Tonya’s direction.

“T, this is Brian, a new member of the team.” He continued as Brian turned to face her, quickly removing his glasses to reveal his brown eyes as a smile appeared on his thin lips.

“Hey.” she said with a nervous smile.

“Hi. You know there may be some people that would say that this is fate.” He said, his smile widening as he took a few steps closer to the desk.

“Yeah there are.” Tonya said with a small giggle, thinking about what Stella had told her a few days before.

“Do you two know each other?” Jimmy asked.

“Yeah, well, kinda.” Brian said turning briefly to face Jimmy before returning his gaze to Tonya.

“Kinda?” Johnny asked.

“Well, we met each other a few weeks ago when Stella and I went out for her birthday and we bumped into each other again the other day when I picked Jake up from jujitsu.” Tonya explained.

“Ah, okay.” Johnny said with a nod of his head.

“Sorry I didn’t get you a coffee,” Brian said as he walked around the desk, sitting on the edge of it, his eyes fixed on hers.

“That’s okay, it’s not as if you knew I was going to be here.” She replied.

“True. So, do you think us keeping on bumping into each other like this is a coincidence?” he said taking a sip of his latte.

“Funnily enough Stella said something similar when I told her I saw you the other day.” she replied feeling her cheeks redden slightly.

“Really?” he asked.

“Yeah, she seems to think its fate or something.” she said.

“And what about you? Do you think its fate?” he asked quietly.

“I’m not sure what to think.” She said just as the door opened once again, a tall slim red-head walking in.

“I’ll leave you get on with business.” She added nodding at the woman as she stood from her seat with a smile.

She said a brief good-bye to Jimmy and Johnny as Brian talked to the client before leaving the studio. She got into her car and ran a hand over her face, mentally cursing herself.

“Would it hurt to give him a chance?” she asked herself.

Taking her wallet and her cell phone out of her purse, she took the small card out of her wallet and typed the number into her cell.

Taking a deep breath she typed a message, “Coffee?” and sent it to the new contact.
She waited a brief moment, almost jumping when her phone vibrated in her hand.

“Tonya?”

“Um, yeah, forgot to mention that bit. So um, coffee?” she typed her reply.

“That sounds good. Just tell me when and where.” Brian replied, making Tonya smile.

She quickly messaged him back with a time and a place before she scrolled through her contacts and dialled Stella’s number.

“I’ve just asked Brian for coffee.” She said before Stella could greet her.

“I’ll put the kettle on, get your ass over here and explain.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait on this update guys, but I've been struggling with writing over the past couple of weeks. I'm hoping I'm over it now though and once Christmas is over I should be able to get back into the swing of things and updates should be more frequent again :)
Comments may help too ;)

Tonya