Status: A Brian Haner Jr Story. Active. Being Edited as I work on new chapters.

Scars

Chapter 7

Tonya busied herself with cleaning. She had already cleaned her bedroom, the bathroom and living room and now she was in the kitchen. It was something she had found herself to keep her mind busy; singing along to Bon Jovi as she went.

She’d done the same on Luke’s birthday the year before, and for the past four years before that as a matter of fact. It helped her take her mind of it. Not that it really helped; he was never too far from her thoughts.

However, there was a small twinge of guilt clouding her mind too. Two days previously she had allowed herself to be kissed by another man and now she felt like she had betrayed her husband. Deep down she knew it was stupid; the man had been gone for more than five years, it was about time she moved on and was happy again. To be in a man’s company again without feeling guilty. And despite it being just the one coffee date, she was happy with how things had gone with Brian and had willingly admitted to Stella that she liked him and that she was looking forward to seeing how things developed between them.

As she placed the various pots and pans back onto the newly cleaned shelves, she suddenly stopped singing, aware that new music had joined in with her iPod. Recognising it as her ringtone, she stepped down off the step-stool and danced her way over to the counter where her cell phone was, a smile immediately appearing on her lips as she saw the name of the person who had sent her a message.

“Hey Beautiful, how are you today?”

”Hey, I’m okay. how are you?” she replied to Brian, biting her lip as she rested against the counter, waiting for his reply that came almost immediately.

”Getting grief of your cousin still. And wondering if you were free tonight and if you fancied dinner somewhere?”

She chuckled, glancing at her watch before typing her reply. ”Tell Johnny, it’s gone five-thirty so he isn’t funny anymore. As for dinner, I’d love to, but I can’t tonight. Sorry.”

She placed her phone back on the counter and watched it nervously, almost jumping as her message tone sounded again. ”Johnny is scowling at me and Jimmy is on the floor laughing and I’m still confused. Maybe you can explain at some point. How about tomorrow then if tonight doesn’t work for you?”

”That sounds good, and I’ll explain about Johnny.” she replied with a growing smile on her face.

She looked up to see Jake walk into the room as Brian sent his reply ”Can’t wait.”

“Hey, good day?” she asked Jake as she grabbed hold of the remote for the speakers to turn down her iPod.

“Was alright.” He muttered shrugging his shoulders.

“Always going to be a hard day, hey?” she said with a saddened smile.

“Surprised you noticed.” he muttered in reply as he took a bottle of pop out of the fridge and walked out of the kitchen.

“Whoa! Wait a second. What do you mean?” she called after him, following him through to the living room. “Hey, I’m talking to you. What did you mean by that?” she called again when he didn’t answer.

“I mean that you obviously don’t care about dad anymore, that you’ve forgotten all about him.” he yelled back.

“Jake! How can you say that? I could never forget your father!” she retorted in disbelief.

“Then why the hell were you kissing Brian the other day? You told me you were having coffee with him!” Jake yelled back, tears brimming his eyes.

Feeling the colour drain from her cheeks, Tonya stood opened mouthed, her words coming out in a mumble. “Jake, I, it was, we did have coffee.”

“I hate you!” he spat before turning around, slamming the door shut behind him.

~*~

Brian sighed, running a hand over the right side of his face. He was with a prospective client who wasn’t willing to listen to him about the choice of her tattoo. “I can do it this size, that’s not the problem. The problem comes in fifteen, twenty years when the skin has, um, well, aged.” He said watching as the woman stared at him, lips pursed tightly together.

“But I don’t want it any bigger. I want it to look small and delicate.” She said for what felt like the millionth time.

Brian sighed once more, and ran his long fingers through his dark hair, his mouth open, ready to respond when he was interrupted by the studio door slamming open.

“Jake, hey, are you okay? If your looking for Johnny he left-“ Jimmy said from where he was doing a piece on a guys thigh.

Ignoring him, Jake strode over to Brian, nothing but anger in his eyes. “I hate you and you’ll never be my father. NEVER!”

Brian quickly caught the fist that came flying towards his face, gently taking hold of the other wrist, “Whoa there, where has this come from? I know I’ll never be your dad.” Seeing the pain and hurt in Jake’s expression, Brian slowly let go of his arms. “Go out the back and get a drink, I’ll be there in a second.”

Slowly Jake nodded, turning to walk towards the back room of the studio as Brian turned his attention back to the woman who was looking less than impressed. “Listen, sorry but I’ve got to deal with this now. If you’re willing to listen to my advice, then feel free to come back some other time, if you’re insistent on having it that size you may wanna try and find another artist.”

With a disgruntled huff, the woman turned and marched out of the store as Brian turned to follow Jake. He was sat on an old patterned sofa, taking a sip of water that he’d got from the cooler. With a soft sigh, Brian walked over to the cooler, filling a small plastic cup before sitting down next to him.

“Wanna tell me what all this is about?” he asked, giving Jake a sideways glance.

“I saw you kiss her the other day.” he muttered, not taking his eyes off the small cup.

“Oh” Brian said quietly. “I thought your mom said that you were okay with that?”

“She told me that it was just coffee.” He replied taking another sip of water.

Again Brian sighed, “It did start out with coffee. But I like your mom Jake, and I think she likes me.”

“She does.” He said quickly. “I’ve heard her talking to Stella.”

Brian failed to stop the smile that formed on his lips, but quickly pushed it away. “But you have to know Jake, that if things…progress, that I’ll never try to replace your dad. That will never happen. It couldn’t.”

Slowly Jake raised his head to look at Brian, “Sorry.” He muttered quietly.

“Me too dude.” He replied. “Do you wanna lift home?”

“Can I hang out here for a while?” he asked. “I’m not sure mom will want me around right now, I was pretty horrible to her too.”

“Then maybe don’t you think it’s best you get back home? Maybe apologise to her too?” Brian said.

It was Jake’s turn to sigh as he nodded his head, “I guess.”

Brian smiled, standing up and taking his car keys out of his pockets, “Come on then, no time like the present right?”

They walked back out to the front of the studio, finding Jimmy talking to Johnny. “I have just had a message off your mother asking if I’ve seen you!” Johnny yelled at Jake.

“Call her and tell her I’m gonna drop him back home.” Brian said with a smile.

Tonya was sat waiting on the doorstep as Brian pulled up outside the house. She stood up and took a few steps closer to the car as Jake got out and walked over to her.

“I’m sorry mom.” He said quietly, stepping forward to embrace her.

“I’m sorry too, and no one will ever replace your father.” She replied as she hugged him back.

“I know.” he replied as he pulled away, noticing as she glanced over at Brian. “I don’t hate him.”

She smiled as her eyes met her sons, “Good, now are we having our movie night?” she asked.

“Starting with Alien?” he replied with a smile.

“Of course, go on, I’ll be two seconds.” She watched as he walked into the house before turning and walking over to Brian’s car.

“Sorry.” She said quietly.

“There’s nothing to be sorry for.” He replied with a smile.

“Yes there is. The last thing you need is my son turning up to where you work yelling at you and trying to hit you.” she said, watching as a confused look appeared on Brian’s face. “Jimmy called and told me what happened.”

“Ah, I see. So are we still on for tomorrow?” he asked.

“You still want to?” she asked with a smile.

“Tonya listen, I really like you, and I want us to get to know each other better, but it’s totally up to you.” he said with a smile, not waiting for a reply before he drove off slowly.