Status: semi active

Would You Like To Make a Run For It?

Chapter twenty three

I was out in the garden with Delia, tending to her plants. There was nothing else to do, so I agreed to help her weed and water her plants.

As I was putting my hands on a weed, I heard a cough behind me. I turned my neck around to see who it was, and pulled out the weed in surprise as I saw who the person was.

“Gary! How nice to see you. Aren’t you off to see the Pokémon tournament?” Delia asked, getting up from her knees to greet Gary.

I followed her actions.

“Aw, well I saw no need you see. I saw a lot of battles and participated in just as many when I was a trainer myself, I think it’s more productive to stay in Pallet Town with Gramps and continue our research.” Gary shrugged.

“Oh I see. Well, what do I owe you the pleasure of this visit? Would you like to come inside and try some cookies that Lily and Mr. Mime baked together?” Delia asked.

“I would absolutely love to. I dropped in to say hi to you of course, but the main reason was I think that Lily could spend some time with me as Ash isn’t around, it gives her something to do.” Gary confidently smirked, leaning on the wall next to Delia and I.

“That’s so kind of you! I’m sure Lily is sick of my company so it’s quite nice of you to offer to keep her company.” Delia beamed.

“Oh, I could never be sick of your company.” I smiled at Delia.

“Aw, you’re too kind. Why don’t you go inside and freshen up whilst Gary tries some of your delicious cookies?” Delia suggested.

“Don’t mind if I do.” I grinned, taking off my gloves and heading inside the house, giving Gary a smile as I passed him.

I didn’t need to shower, as I hadn’t gotten anything but my arms dirty. I did wash my arms in the basin, and then got changed out of the spare overalls Delia had given me into a pink miniskirt and black tank top.

I sprayed some more deodorant and perfume to freshen up, and ruffled up my hair to do something with it.

Not quite the amount time I’d like to spend getting ready for Gary or the correct way, but it was all I had without making it obvious.

I left the bathroom and made my way back to the kitchen, where Gary had cookies and milk in front of him, and Delia laughing heartily.

“You look nice, Lily.” Gary smiled at me, pleasantly.

“Thanks.” I beamed, however then began to wonder if it was too obvious I have a slight crush on him, and whether he meant it or just wanted to look good in front of Delia.

“You two run along, stay out as late as you’d like Lily, I’ll leave your dinner in the fridge and you can reheat it when you get home.” Delia smiled at me.

“Thanks Delia, I won’t get home too late. It would be quite selfish to use your home as a hotel after the hospitality you’re giving me.” I bowed to Delia, before walking off with Gary.

“Spent much time in Viridian City?” Gary asked me, as he was leading me towards the top of the town where route 1 started.

“I’ve walked through it. When I went travelling with Ash, we only went through Viridian City because he wanted to rush to Pallet Town.” I shrugged.

“Okay, this is what’s on the agenda for the day. We’ll walk through route 1 towards Viridian, battle some Pokémon that we may come across, spend the day in Viridian City, then come back to Pallet at nightfall.” Gary stated.

“Okay.” I shrugged, walking by his side.

“So how are you and Ashy boy going? Doing it long distance I see?” Gary smirked, as we exited Pallet Town and made our way up the bushy grasslands.

“I guess. It’s just preparing us for when I have to go back to Saffron I guess, that’s coming up soon and we need to test whether our relationship will work or not.” I said, trying to sound confident but failing.

Gary then halted his walking, and I stopped next to him. He then turned to face me, and put a hand on my shoulder.

I just gave him a weird look; this was very out of character from his usual cockiness and arrogance. Then again, I’d seen him out of character a lot.

“I overheard Delia talking to Gramps about Ash up and leaving you, saying you’d distract him or something as an excuse. I think it’s pathetic, so I decided to ask you to hang out today.” Gary confessed.

“So you only asked to hang out because you felt sorry for me and thought I’d be bored? Not because you actually enjoy my company eh?” I asked, but added a weak grin to the end of my question to show I wasn’t too upset.

Gary continued to look at me and sigh, but gave a grin before his reply.

“No, I actually do like spending time with you. Much more than I’d like to, or should like to.” He smiled.

I tried to comprehend what he meant, and what was between us. We went on a date a while back, and he kissed me – whilst I was going out with Ash. Then we played footsies under the table, and now he admits he likes to spend time with me even though he ‘shouldn’t’

I think even the most dense person could figure out that Gary Oak has a crush on me.

I was about to press on and ask what he meant; however a young boy running towards us interrupted me.

“Gary Oak! I’ve been training really hard at the Viridian Academy since we last battled last year and I think I have what it takes to defeat you! I even defeated Ash Ketchum on his way out of here yesterday!” The small boy said.

He was right, he was definitely a schoolboy, he even had his school uniform on.

“Danny, anybody could beat Ash Ketchum, even my grandmother could in her sleep. But I’ll battle you. I do have to show the lady how a real trainer battles.” Gary said, looking over to me and winking.

I blushed and looked down furiously.

Feeling his gaze stay on me, I quickly found something to distract myself with. I grabbed my Eevee’s pokéball, and threw her out.

“Hey Eevee, Gary has promised us a show. Would you like to watch his Pokémon fight?” I asked Eevee, who cooed happily.

All right, it was on. It was time to see how Gary went against this trainer who supposedly beat Ash.