Status: semi active

Would You Like To Make a Run For It?

Chapter twenty seven

Gary and I said nothing as we finished making out. In fact, we didn’t say anything on the whole trek back to Viridian City. I wasn’t sure how to interpret this. On one hand, it was unlike Gary to be quiet; maybe he was comfortable with me. On the other hand, it REALLY wasn’t like Gary to be quiet. Maybe something was wrong.

We finally arrived at Viridian City, and Gary was the first to speak up.

“If you want to be home at midnight, we should probably leave soon. Unless you want to hire a room at the Pokémon centre and stay here and leave in the morning?” Gary suggested.

I cleared my throat before answering.

“No, it’s probably best we left now.” I answered.

Gary said nothing but had his arrogant smirk plastered on his face. I guess things would be going back to normal again now.

“Lily, you do realise that it’s 10.30pm at night now. We’d be spending at least half an hour at the Pokémon centre – don’t get me wrong I do want Shellder to get help and I’m not suggesting we skip it, but if we were to power walk home the earliest we’d be getting home would be around 1am. But it’s dark, so the trip home takes longer.” Gary stated.

“I dunno then…I want to get home tonight no matter how late it gets, but I don’t want to walk in and wake up Delia, assuming she left the door unlocked for me.” I said to Gary.

“Well, I can think of two options. We could get a room at the Pokémon centre; Viridian City is very quiet this time of year. Or we can go back, you can leave a note on the door for Delia saying you stayed the night at the lab with Gramps and I. It’s a big place, Gramps gets many guests, so there’s many guest rooms for you to pick from.” Gary suggested.

“How dangerous is it along route 1 back to Pallet Town?” I asked Gary curiously.

“Honestly? Not at all. There are a few routes between towns I would never walk through after dark, or towns in general…but route 1 is the safest route of them all. It’s only filled with weak Pokémon, you’ll be fine. Besides, you’ll be with me. How could one feel unsafe?” Gary arrogantly stated.

“I guess no girl can feel unsafe when Gary Oak is around.” I giggled.

“Then come on, let’s get you and Shellder to a Pokémon centre.” Gary smiled, putting his arm lightly around his shoulders.

He didn’t let go as he began to lead me off, and silently I was glad he didn’t, as the whole time I was hoping he’d keep his arms there.

***

“This is RIDICULOUS! AREN’T YOU MEANT TO BE HELPING POKEMON?!” Gary screamed at the nurse on duty.

We had come in about 5 minutes ago. I had let Shellder out of his ball, and although he didn’t look as sick as he did when he first got poisoned, he still looked a little ill, even after having some antidote.

So we came in here and asked Nurse Joy to look at Shellder to make sure he was okay.

However, after explaining to her the situation, she said she was too busy and we’d already taken care of Shellder.

Such a response would be okay if the Pokémon centre was full of trainers with sick and injured Pokémon. However, as Gary had stated, Viridian City was empty this time of year, and no catastrophe had happened in the area to make everybody rush out here. It was deserted.

I had given up trying to convince her and was sitting on the seat clutching my poor Shellder, comforting him. But Gary hadn’t given up.

“Sir! I must request you and your girlfriend leave at once. You’re disturbing the peace and it will not be tolerated!” Nurse Joy hissed at Gary.

“Alright! You know what? I will leave. I will also be writing to the Pokémon Centre association to tell them that the new Nurse Joy from Viridian City is lazy and incompetent at doing her job. The old Nurse Joy here was sweet and would have done it! You’re just lucky when we go back to my grandfather, PROFESSOR OAK’s lab, we have the same type of equipment you do!” Gary shouted at Nurse Joy, and it made me giggle at his name drop.

She seemed a little shocked at the fact she had just argued with Professor Oak’s grandson, but just shook her head and got on with her duties as Gary approached me, and swiftly put his hand around my shoulder and marched us out.

“Is Shellder alright?” Gary asked, kneeling down to look at Shellder.

“I guess so. He probably just needs sleep or something.” I shrugged.

“Put him back in his pokéball, Gramps has heaps of cool machinery that’s exactly the same prototype as the ones in Pokémon centres. He should be completely fine.” Gary informed me, flashing a smile at the end of his statement to calm me down.

I broke away from Gary to gently put Shellder onto the ground. I recalled him into his pokéball, however as I put the ball back into my bag, Gary had nabbed my shoulders again.

“You don’t mind do you? I mean, I can’t let a girl like you be kidnapped or hurt by the big bad Pokémon. Guess I’ll have to hold your shoulders the entire walk back, or maybe your hand when it gets narrow?” Gary asked, distinctively flirting with me.

“It’s a pretty narrow path the entire way isn’t it? Either way, hands is a lot safer. You should just hold my hand now.” I nodded, playing back into his game.

Yes, it’s wrong to flirt on such a high level when I have a boyfriend, and he isn’t here. But I’d do anything to feel Gary Oak’s hand on mine now; I’d deal with the guilt later.

***

“Now all Shellder needs is a good night’s rest, which he’ll definitely get in the bed I just prepared for him.” Gary stated, shutting the door to the guest room.

It was now three am. We got back into Pallet Town just after one thirty, and I left a note and stuck it to Delia’s door to let her know I was at Professor Oak’s lab.

Gary was great with Shellder. He knew how to use the machine to heal him of all status ailments and heal him back to full health, and made a room just for Shellder to sleep over night. Thanks to Gary, Shellder would be fine by tomorrow.

“Now to get your guest room ready. Unless maybe you were still scared of Pokémon and would sleep in mine?” Gary asked me, looking hopeful.

I snickered, and crossed my arms over my chest.

“No Gary, I’m not going to sleep with you.”

“Aw shucks Lily, I didn’t mean it in that way. Doing that kind of stuff wouldn’t ward off big bad Pokémon; in fact it’d be easier for them to strike. No, I would hold you close and protect you ALL night in my warm bed.” Gary explained.

He’d hold me close. Ash had never ‘cuddled’ me in fact he had barely touched me in the entire time we had been going out. He acted like such a kid anyway; it felt like I was in a third grade relationship. We never did anything.

“Okay. You’re right. We should huddle for warmth and comfort against big bad Pokémon. They’re obviously everywhere.” I smiled, coming to Gary’s terms.