Pumpkin

Warmth.

Since I can remember I’ve always fallen asleep early and woken up early, I’ve never needed an alarm clock, I naturally wake up at six AM every day. The rising sun has always been a good friend of mine. He slowly climbs his way up the sky with a bright smile on his face, he’s always got a reason to smile, and sometimes it makes me smile. Everyone loves him, especially the birds and the clouds. Could you imagine everyone loving you? Yes there are moments when they aren’t happy with him, they curse at him, but they still love him. Do you think kids from my school loved me deep down? I mean, I don’t talk to any of them anymore, but sometimes I get a smile or two from the outcasts when passing by them.

My bed is warm, it’s comfy and I don’t want to move. No one’s waiting for me. No man is waiting for a loving embrace, a grouchy manager isn’t waiting to holler at me for not doing my job right, a cute and cuddly pet isn’t impatiently pondering where I am with their bowl of food, and my parents surely aren’t waiting for me to take care of myself.

The car insurance is due today, I’ve got a little piece of shit that takes me where I need to be. Thankfully there’s the internet. I’m not the most charming or charismatic person out there so I sell worthless shit online to pay for my gas and insurance. Lucky me.

A small groan leaves my mouth as I crawl out of my sheets and walk out of my room. I’m already missing the comforting scent of my pumpkin spice scented candle. The rest of the house is vacant. Despite the family images all over the walls and the accent cushions on the couch that match the throw over, it’s cold. I feel nothing in here.

Open a new window, scroll, type, done.

There’s a note on the fridge, I furrow my brow and drag my feet across the tile and read it carefully.

Don’t make plans, we have to chat tonight.
xoxo, Mom


“Plans? That’s cute.”