Ashes to Ashes

one

"RUN MOM! YOU HAVE TO RUN!" I yelled trying to drag my mom through our burning house.

"I can't Charlotte." my mom whispered closing her eyes.

"Mom please! stay awake!" I cried as I tried to drag my mom faster. Then I fell over something just before fiery wood fell were I was standing seconds ago.

"WOW! that was close huh mom?" I looked around "Mom!" I yelled "Where are you!?" I started to cry.

"CHARLOTTE!" my mom yelled

"MOM! where are you/"

"Under the wood." my mom coughed "Rae I don't think I'm going to make it out of here, don't worry about me though, just run and don't look back!" my mom was crying

"But mom!" I sobbed

"NO MATTER WHAT RAE! NOW GO!!"

"Okay mom but I'm running only to get help for you."

"I love you Rae, never forget that okay." my mom stuck her hand through an opening in the wood.

"Okay mom." I grabbed her hand. "I love you too."

"NOW GO!" she shouted

I ran out of the burning house crying just as the firefighters arrived. Two of the five stayed outside while one got the hose and tried to put out the fire, the other one was asking me questions.

"Wha's your name sweetie?"

"Charlotte Nelson, who are you?"

"I'm John Wood, how many people are still in your house?"

"Just one my mom."

"Where is your dad?"

"He died in a car crash two years ago so it's just me and my mom."

John just looked away for a few seconds until the ambulance came. Then the three other firefighters came out of my house carrying my unconsious mom out on to a strecher.

"MOM!" I screamed as I ran up to my mom. "Is she going to be okay?"

"We don't know yet kid so go away!" said an ambulance jerk.

"This is Charlotte and that is her mom you F-"

A firefighter covered my ears until John's mouth stopped moving.

"Fine, kid get in."

I climbed in as my mom's eyes opened "MOM!" I said hugging my mother and crying. "Please don't die."

"I can't make any promises about not dieing Rae, but I will promise to try." my mom said letting a few tears roll down her cheeks.

At the hospital a really nice nurse showed me a play area. "Here you go sugar."

"But Ms. nurse lady I'm ten and these are baby toys."

"Well there are big kid books over on a shelf somewhere, now I have to go." The nurse walked away quickly.

After about an hour I had just finished my second two-hundred page book, then a doctor came out and talked to me.

"Excuse me young lady are you..." he looked at his clipboard. "Charlotte Nelson?"

"Yes, and why do you ask?"

"Well I am very sorry but your mother has just passed away."

Unlike most people who in my situation would have cried their eyes out, I silently walked down the hall to my mom's room. When I got to the doorway I hesitated and when I looked behind me the doctor gave me a little nod. As I opened the door that meant my happy life was over I saw my mom, her lifeless body so helpless yet peaceful. I couldn't help but let a few tears roll down my cheeks, and as I took one last look at my mother I saw the necklace my dad gave her. So I went up to her bed and carefully took off the necklace. I put it in my pocket, as I walked out of my mother's room I was stopped by a woman in a purple and black pant suit.

"Hello sweetheart what's your name?" The woman said kneeling down to my leve;.

"My name is Charlotte Nelson but my mom use to call me Rae, and who may I ask are you?"

"I am Ms. Cooper but you can call me Robin." she said with a smile.

"Is your smile fake or are you just that stupidly happy all the time?"

Robin get up and dusted off her pants. "Well you're um... charming, now Charlotte I'm a social worker and I'm here to find you a good foster home."

I wanted to scream, cry, and kick Robin in her shin and run away because I was realizing how real my situation really was. I didn't though, I just walked quietly out of the hospital and got into Ms.Cooper's car. As she started to drive away I looked out of the window, and as the rain fell from the gray cloud filled sky my happiness dissolved with it. While sadness and fear took its place and changed my life forever.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments please :)
(if any one want to co-write this story with me just send me a message or comment somewhere thanks! :])