Status: Weekly updates, sometimes a bit quicker

The Road Trip

Chapter 8

“Ford!”

“Toyota!”

“Ford!!”

“Toyota!!”

“FORD!”

“TOYOTA!”

“FORD!!!”

“TOYOTA!!!”

“FORD!!!”

“TOYOTA!!!”

Eric and I have been arguing about the best maker of cars for about 7 minutes straight. Obviously I am on the side of Ford, I mean seriously, just one look at my sleek and stylish vehicle and you’d convert to my side too! Eric, however, seems to have a brain that is on a different frequency than NORMAL people’s are. Which is, most likely, why he is stuck on Toyota? It also may possibly be because he is in LOVE with his ‘blue streak metallic’ (his exact words when asked what color his car was, ugh he’s so full of it!) Matrix XRS. I mean you may think I’m in love with my Expedition, but he is even more so with his, he is infatuated AND in love! Anyways, we’re both way too stubborn to admit that one of our favorites might be better than the other, so there we were in an unending cycle of back-and-forth. We couldn’t even make a compromise to agree to disagree! One of us had to triumph over the other, each of us getting louder and more into the pattern as it went on.

“ENOUGH!!!” Levi finally yelled as Eric’s and mine’s protests began to mix in with each others. I f you were listening to it, you wouldn’t be able to understand it. It would sound like ‘Foyotard’, which could possibly be misconstrued for some sort of insult or Japanese dish. We were still in my car, on the road, heading to a restaurant, so hearing the driver shout due to frustration is not what you usually want to hear. Eric and I both fell silent for a few seconds.

“Jeez! Calm down Levi!” Eric said surprised, at the same time I said, “OMG Kit-Kat! Take a chill pill!” in the same tone of voice. Jeezie peezie lemon squeezie! What sorta giant cricket thingie leaped up her bootie and got wasted and now has a hangover???We were both looking at her like her outburst was completely uncalled for.

“Don’t. Tell. Me. To. Calm. Down!” Levi told both us through gritted teeth. Her bright, sky blue eyes were flashing, almost as red with anger as her hair color—without the blonde highlights, of course—and when Levi was mad, it was like the devil had been released and given free rein on Earth! Oooo, we’re going to get it now!! I gave Eric a frantic, panicked look, which he returned with a confused one because he didn’t understand the terrifying powers of Levi’s wrath!

“Now, now Kit-Kat, Levi, Lev. You don’t want to do this. How about we just calm down and talk this over some nice hot chocolate? Hey lookie there! What luck, a Starbucks, if we turn now we can go there!” I said soothingly, trying to fake enthusiasm towards Starbucks in order to cover my fear and anxiety. Don’t test her anymore, don’t test her anymore…I tried to send telepathically to Eric. Sadly, I seemed to utterly fail (Hey, this isn’t Heroes!) because he then commented on Lev’s face that is changing into a deep scarlet.

“Chillax, Ms. Tomato!” Eric told her jokingly, completely ignoring my message sent to his brain. I guess his brain is too small to comprehend. Sucks for him... At least he got the attention off of me so now I just get to sit back and watch the steam blowing out of Levi’s ears smother him.Right after I thought that, we swerved over to the side of the road. Thank God, I was wearing my seat belt. I looked behind me and saw Eric was fine too. I sighed a sigh of relief, but then I looked to my right and saw Levi’s crazed expression. Thaaaaar she blllooooowwwwsss!!!!

“What the crap! Why’d you do that Levi? Remind me never to let a CRAZY person drive me around again.” Eric exclaimed, not even noticing Lev’s enraged face. Dang! This boy is unobservant, and that is going to get him killed! Please calm down, Lev… Come on Kit-at rein your anger back in…I thought hopefully and encouraging. It didn’t look as though it was working since Levi was still deep scarlet, so I decided I couldn’t leave Eric out alone in the storm as Levi just began her tirade.

“OMG!!! WHY CAN’T YOU GUYS JUST ADMIT YOU TWO LIKE EACHOTHER AND GET OVER IT?!?! QUIT ARGUING, IT’S NOT AS AMUSING TO EVERYONE ELSE AS IT IS TO YOU BOTH!!!! GOOD LORD! AND DON’T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON CALLING ME CRAZY, YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT CRAZY IS, YOU—“ Levi started yelling at Eric, before I interrupted her. Goodness gravy!! She is really letting him have it!

“Levi, Kit-Kat, it’s okay, it’s okay. I’m so sorry for our arguing. It’s going to be alright. No need to get mad and Eric was just kidding when he called you crazy… Right Eric?” I said soothingly, calmly, and reassuringly, directing the question at the end to Eric and urging him with a nod of my head toward Levi. I specifically skipped over the part of her speech that talked (well yelled...) about us liking each other. A look of understanding passed through his eyes and he was quiet for a few seconds in thought before speaking.

“Yeah, Levi. I am extremely sorry about calling you crazy; I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings. Like Denny said, I was only joking. And I’ll try not to argue with Denny anymore. Is that okay with you Denny?” Eric said in the same tone I did to Levi, asking me a question after he was done like I did. He’s a fast learner on how to deal with Lev’s tirades. Quickest one so far at least.Usually it took forever for someone to catch on to how to calm Levi if they insult or annoy her in anyway. Stupid people, besides Eric of course.

“Exactly, Eric. See Levi? We’re working it out.” I told Levi as her normal face color started to return to her face. Soon just a tinge of pink was left on her face. That was the only evidence of her prior fury. Her eyes were back to being light and happy, small smile now sitting on her face, and a realaxed posture. Phewf that was a close one… There was a moment of silence for a little longer.

“So how bout them Knicks?” I said randomly, just to break the silence. Eric looked at me oddly, whereas Levi just laughed. This was my usual method of breaking silence, which is weird, since I hate baseball, but, hey, it works.

“Well it’s not even baseball season, but last season they—“Eric started saying, but I cut him off.

“OH YES THAT’S VERY INTERESTING.” I said over top of him, slightly sarcastic.

“Okay just a little tidbit about me. I always say ‘How bout them Knicks?’ to break silences and I hate baseball. So when I say ‘how bout them Knicks?’ I mean, ‘so what’s our next conversation going to be about?’” I said matter-of-factly and briskly.

“Oh… Well in that case I think our next conversation should be about get back on the road and finding some food.” Eric replied.

“Okidokey then!” Levi said, turning the key in the ignition, starting the car. She then put it in drive, got off the side of the road, and started driving. Wow, I never even noticed I was still hungry… I think I’m hankering for quick and easy.

“TURN RIGHT!” I yelled. And Levi swerved to do as I said automatically, not even thinking about it.

“WHY?” Levi and Eric yelled back at me together. I hope THAT doesn’t turn into a habit.

“Cuz I wanna go to to McDonald’s!” I told them happily. They stared at me dumbfounded.

“What?” I asked them innocently.

“MCDONALD’S???” Levi yelled, Eric still silent.

“Mhmm, I’m hungry and I don’t want to have to wait. Plus, I haven’t had McDonald’s in forever.” I explained. I wonder why that is…

“Yah! Because of that video we watched in Health class that showed what they put in their meat and chicken!!!” Levi told me, reminding me. Oh yeeeaaahhhh.

“Oh… Well I change my mind, it’s still delicious, and I want some of their French fries! Yummy! French fries!!!” I replied excitedly. I looked pouty and pleading at Eric, hoping my face was good enough to sway his emotionless face in my favor. Come on, come on! I’ve been practicing! All my years of training my face leading up to this moment: the decision to go to McDonald’s or not… The showdown in a Western move theme song came to mind while thinking this. Dun nuh duuuun duh nuh nuuuuuh! Eric sighed and looked out the window.

“Very well… We can go to McDonald’s if you really want them that bad.” Eric told me, giving in.

“YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAAAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!” I squealed—which I don’t normally do, so that’s odd for me– happily. I was nearly vibrating out of joy! I almost unbuckled, jumped to the backseat and smothered Eric in a rare Denny hug… ALMOST! Both Levi and Eric laughed at my mirth.

“Oh Denny, Denny, Denny…” Eric said while shaking his head. Aww… he’s saying my name repeatedly, I can’t take it! Sounds sooo good! *mental sigh*…Then I looked around to make sure that my “mental sigh” was indeed a MENTAL sigh this time, and not out loud. I don’t have the concussion to blame anymore.

“Eh, you’re all just JEALOUS!” I said still hyper and happy! My smile is so big I’m surprised that no one’s hooked a generator up to it and harnessed its radiant energy. Levi was smiling a small smile as we turned into the McDonald’s parking lot and Eric was smirking. He has a sexy smirk… AH!!! No thinking that! NO BOYS!! GRRR!!!Ugh I need to distract my brain from Eric’s cuteness… I mean, from Eric’s… uh…uh? Nope not even I can disagree with it. Eric is cute. This led me to analyzing Eric in the mirror and thinking, Wow, Eric IS cute! That was a LOT easier to admit than I thought it would be. It just as easy as saying I’m cute. Hmm… a math equation to go with this is Eric+Denny=CUTE!Right after thinking that I gasped at the fact I did. How could I think that and not even realize what it means??

Then I realized Levi and Eric were having a serious conversation. Eh I don’t care, I have a REAL crisis going on!So I thought about my thoughts—I am sooo weird, I mean really, who thinks about their thoughts?—until we parked in a space and began to walk into McDonald’s.