You Stole My Heart

Dos.

The next morning Johnny was awake by familiar bangs in the kitchen. He sat up on the edge of his bed trying to fight off his hangover. When the sound of glass being placed on the counter met his ears he realized it wasn't just a dream.

"What the hell?" he murmured, digging the heel of his hands to rub his eyes. He lazily stood to his feet and walked to the open doorway of his room. The sounds increased, causing his migraine to increase. He finally reached the kitchen and saw the little girl pouring milk into her bowl of Count Chocula. "What the hell are you doing?"

Marco looked up, a bit shocked to hear Johnny's voice so early. It was only eight and she thought she was being quiet. "Oh. I was making myself some cereal, hope you don't mind. I made coffee."

Johnny turned to where she pointed. Sure enough there was a pot full of coffee in the coffee maker. He walked over, pouring himself a mug that had already been placed on the counter. A bottle of aspirin sat on the counter next to it. He quickly took out two, downing it with his coffee. He turned around to see Marco sitting at the island, eating her breakfast.

"How did you know how to make coffee?"

"It was something I just picked up," she replied with a shrug. Johnny just shook it off and sat at the island next her. It was silent for a few minutes before Marco broke it asking, "Don't you have a girlfriend or something?"

"No," Johnny slightly snapped, still sour about his last girlfriend, Lacey. She had cheated on him for a few months and was caught only when Johnny returned early from visiting his parents. That was only two days ago. That was the pure reason that he had drank so much that he had to walk home from the bar last night, discovering this little cretin. "Don't you have parents or something?"

"Everyone has parents," Marco said mockingly. She jumped off her stool, standing on her tippy toes to turn on the faucet so she could rinse out her bowl.

"Where are yours?" Johnny urged. Marco paused before turning the water off again.

"Good question," Marco said simply, her lips pursing. Johnny sighed, running a hand through his hair. Now how is he possibly going to get rid of her?

"Where did you plan on going?" Johnny asked. Marco smiled and shrugged.

"I heard Colorado's nice," Marco replied like she was just planning a vacation. Johnny shook his head at this.

"How's a, what, nine year old going to get to Colorado?"

"Ten," Marco whined like it was a big difference. "And easy. Go to a bus stop and pull the poor, lost girl routine. Either the bus guy will just let me on free or some poor soul will pay for me."

"So you're telling me I have a little con artist on my hands?"

"Nope. Just a survivalist," Marco corrected. She let this sink in as she walked toward the room where she had slept the night in. "So can you give me a lift to the bus or train station?"

"You expect me to let a ten year on a bus when she doesn't know where she's even going?" Johnny asked.

"Well I see it this way," Marco called. She ran back down the stairs with her backpack on her back. "You can do that or either let me try to walk on my own and possibly get kidnapped. At least if you give me a ride you can at least know I got there safely. Then on the bus there will be too many witnesses."

Johnny contemplated this. What else could he do? Not much. He sighed, finishing off his coffee. "Fine. But we'll have to walk back to where I was last night to get my car."

"Okay," Marco agreed. Johnny was still in his clothes from last night so he just had to slip on his converse again. Once they were outside and his door was locked Marco grasped his hand again. Johnny just ignored it this time, walking off down the street of Huntington Beach.

They finally reached a building with the name 'Johnny's Bar' over the entrance. Marco looked up at it with mild interest. "So am I going in or are you to force me to stay out here?"

"You might as well just come in. We'll only be here for a minute," Johnny muttered. He led the way in, holding open the door for the little girl to walk in first. As Johnny approached the bar they got many stares. The bartender, Jeff, paused from drying a shot glass.

"Hey Johnny," Jeff called slowly. Johnny held out his hand and Jeff obliged by placing the familiar key into Johnny's palm.

"Thanks Jeff."

"Who's this little lady?" Jeff asked, smiling and slightly leaning over the bar to see the little girl attached to Johnny's other hand. She grinned up at him, showing a missing tooth on the left edge of her mouth.

"A long story," Johnny replied hesitantly.

"I'm Marco!" Marco exclaimed with a wave of her hand. Jeff smiled down at her, digging into his pocket for a lollipop, his usual crack.

"Here you go Marco," he said, offering the sugar.

"Gee, thanks!" She unwrapped the lollipop and popped it into her mouth. As she was absorbed in it, Jeff turned to Johnny again.

"Seriously, do the guys know about her?" Jeff asked. Johnny sighed, running a hand through his hair again.

"No. She's about to be gone soon so it's not worth mentioning anyways." He looked down at the little girl who was looking around the bar. "C'mon kid. Let's go."

"My name's Marco!" The girl shouted as Johnny led her out of the bar. It was silent as Johnny led her over to the truck parked in the back corner. He picked up Marco, placing her in the backseat. He climbed into the driver's seat starting the truck.

"Here we are," Johnny announced pulling to a stop outside the train station. He turned off the engine and climbed out. By the time he was out Marco was already standing there. She grabbed his hand and they walked inside. They walked pass the rushing people to the ticket booth.

"Hello sir. Can I help you?" The woman asked cheerfully.

"I need a ticket to Denver, Colorado." She looked between Johnny and Macro who had a bright smile. "Oh. Her grandmother will pick her up there."

"Okay sir. That will be twenty-five dollars for a one way." Johnny pulled out his wallet, handing her the exact money. She took it before handing over a ticket.

"Thank-you!" Marco chirped as Johnny led them to the right platform. As they waited Marco hummed to herself.

"Train leaving to Denver, Colorado now arriving." A big, silver train pulled to a stop in front of them. Johnny bit his lip as he looked down at the ten year old detaching her hand from his. He felt a weird sensation of loss.

"Thanks for everything Johnny," Marco chirped as she took the ticket clenched in Johnny's hand. He hesitated before letting go. She started forward to the man waiting to take tickets. Johnny grabbed her shoulder. She turned around with a confused stare. "What? I have to go on. It'll leave!"

"But-" Johnny couldn't figure out what he was going to say. He didn't want her to leave? She wasn't safe?

"Johnny!" Marco whined, eyes shifting from him to the train. A loud whistle letting her know they had little time before the train left.

"You're not going," Johnny said sternly. Just then the train pulled away. Marco huffed, glaring up at the man.

"Now what?!"

"You're staying with me." All anger drained from Marco. She grinned widely.

"Really?" Johnny nodded, turning to lead her out of the station. "Thank-you Johnny."

"Well I can't just let you wander," Johnny replied with a shrug.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Psychokitty13, HotelBellaMuerte., and angy_kaulitz for commenting. Continue to please? C: