Status: completed

Escape This Afterlife

Hayden

Chapter Eighteen
Hayden's POV

I heard voices. They sounded so close and yet I couldn't quite see them. It was like they were just around the corner. Maybe I passed them? Maybe I could find someone if it wasn't so dark in here…wherever here is.

The voices got further and further away until they were a faint mumble. I'd almost given up on ever catching them when there was a sudden whoosh and a pretty blond neko wearing a long white dress--Wait! Neko? How do I even know what that is, or for that matter, why doesn't this freak me out? This isn't something I see everyday…is it?

"Hayden! It's great to see that you're okay! You're so stupid, you know that? How could you do this to him?! Hayden? Hayden, are you listening to me?! the girl shrieked.

"Hayden? That's me, right?" I felt so confused. I couldn't remember anything, not even who I was, but that didn't seem to matter. All I knew was I had to find the owners of the voices. "Do you know where the people are?"

"You can hear them?" she asked. "And you don't know who you are? How about who I am?" She waited for barely a second before answering her own question. "I'm Ewa. Does that make you remember anything?"

"No, I'm sorry. Who are the voices?" I asked.

Ewa looked at me weird. "I hope you're Hayden at least. I've never seen you so polite before. You should be like that more," she told me. "They're Kitty and his family. Do you remember them?"

"Kitty!" I gasped. I suddenly remembered everything. "I'm dead."

Ewa glared. "If I wasn't a ghost I would hurt you. I hope you know that" she stomped on my foot to prove her point, but it went right through me. "Ugh. You annoy me. How dare you try to kill yourself?! You didn't even do it right! You're still alive. You can still make it. Why would you do that to Kitty?" she hissed.

I felt myself tearing up. I don't want to talk about this. I just wish I were dead, so I didn't have to think ever again. "I should have died. Can't I just not wake up?"

"No. Tell me what's wrong. Maybe I can help?" she offered.

"No, you can't. It's hopeless," I sniffled.

"You can't just give up on him!" Ewa insisted. "You'll just be stuck here forever. And what about the voices? You wanted to find them, didn't you? You want to be back with Kitty."

"Of course I do, but I can't." I finally broke down and told her the whole story. "Don't you understand now?" I sobbed.

"Oh, sweetie," she gasped. "Why didn't you wait and talk to me first?! What do I look like to you? We're both ghosts. I can kick her ass. Don't you know you can block people you don't want to talk to? How do you think it's been only me you've been talking to for the last few weeks. I blocked them for you, but you can do it yourself. I'll teach you. Now come give me a hug." She looked at herself then at me. "Well, an air hug at least. I'll go rip all of insane, repulsive lady's hair out. I'll help you wake up first."

"Okay. How?"

"Chase the voices."

"Yeah, it's not like I wasn't doing that before," I said sarcastically.

"Well, try again. You were being slow before. Hurry yourself this time. Run like you're running from the football players! I'll be your cheerleader! Go! Go! Go!" she screamed, jumping up and down. "If I get to them faster than you, I'll be annoying for days and days and days and you know what? I'll teach Kitty to annoy you too. Run now!" she cheered.

I started running, partly because I thought she was right and I'd finally get out of here, but mostly because I wanted Ewa to stop screaming. Finally, it seemed like we were making progress. The voices got louder and, as cliché as this sounds I saw a bright light like the light at the end of a long tunnel. It got bigger and bigger as Ewa's voice got quieter and quieter. "I'll see you again soon. Bye!" Ewa's voice came like a whisper and she disappeared.

I opened my eyes to see the one I loved. "Hello, my angel."
♠ ♠ ♠
I can't believe how close this story is to being over! It's so sad. :(
I hope you all like this chapter!
Comment and Suscribe!