Their Violence, Your Silence.

Facing the Parents

When my mind cleared again I felt much better. There was a bandage around my head and I felt incredibly stiff but there was no pain.

I realized I was in a car and when I heard the soft purring I knew it was Caleb's car. There was a blanket wrapped around me and I was half cradled by a strong arm.

I peeked open my eyes and saw it was Jared looking down at me, probably worried but I couldn't see his facial expression well without glasses. Immediately I smiled at him. 'Hey there big brother...' my voice croaked and I frowned at that, happy it wasn't painful to do so anymore.

'How are you feeling Winnie?' he said as he let go so I could sit up on my own. I realized I was still wearing my sweatpants and an oversized t-shirt albeit a little bloodstained at the collar and frowned when I realized I was holding another shirt in my right hand.

When I looked back up I saw Caleb was driving and he was indeed shirtless. His leather jacket over his bare chest. His chest a pink blur in the rear view mirror.

'How come you're not wearing your shirt Caleb?' I asked, utterly confused and why was I the one holding his shirt?

My voice was already sounding better but my throat was very sore. I guessed it was from the bruises forming there from when Damien nearly strangled me. I wished I could get some water to drink.

Both my brother and Caleb laughed at my question. Loudly at that, probably to relieve some of the tension.

Then Caleb answered, 'Winter... I had to take it off because you wouldn't let go! And I wasn't allowed inside while they bandaged you up...'

Oh...

My cheeks burned at that. I remembered holding on tightly and thinking I wasn't going to let Caleb leave me... But I honestly couldn't remember holding on that tightly.

'Well... you can have it back now?' I offered holding up the shirt in question. More laughter from both guys and then the car came to a gentle stop and the engine cut off.

'You think you can walk sis?' asked Jared from beside me. He was already opening the door and getting out, helping me slide to the side so I could get out too.

'Yeah my legs are just fine,' I told them honestly as I wobbled to my feet. Feeling slightly dizzy. Caleb was there on my other side quickly holding out a steadying arm, which I gratefully took.

A few minutes later I was seated on the couch with a clean shirt on, tucked in a blanket carefully by my mom with on my right side Caleb and left of me Jared.

Mom was spewing an endless stream of words showing how worried she was. My dad pacing up and down in front of the old TV set with a deep frown on his face. They wanted me to tell them who did it but I wasn't budging.

I did not want more trouble about this. Surprisingly Caleb hadn't said anything although I knew he knew it was Damien. Of all people I would have thought he'd been the one to press me into going to the police.

This had gone on for a while now and I was starting to feel really tired. I slumped a little to the side to rest my head and deciding to be bold I leaned against Caleb's shoulder.

To my surprise he turned his face to look at me, this close by I couldn't see his facial expression though. Then he lifted his arm and wrapped it around my shoulder, tucking me into his side more snugly.

I think I blushed but it was a really comfortable position so I breathed out deeply and closed my eyes. Caleb was warm and he still smelled of leather and diesel, but maybe that was just the leather jacket he always wore.

Just as I had settled down comfortably I became aware of the silence and I felt the prickling sensation of eyes on me. I looked up around the room and I guessed both my parents and Jared were staring but I wasn't sure because their faces were dark pink blurs to me.

'What?' I whispered and I cringed inwardly at how hoarse my voice sounded again. I didn't like how it made me sound weak and ill. Caleb seemed to only clutch me tighter to his chest as if trying to protect me from the staring eyes.

'Since when are you two dating?' said my mother suddenly sounding incredibly excited. She actually clapped her hands and jumped a little in her chair. My dad responded entirely different; he grunted in disapproval 'I don't like this!'

Jared said nothing but I knew he approved of Caleb, he'd said so himself the day Caleb first started driving me to school. Now as if knowing I needed reassurance he squeezed my knee softly once.

I gasped in surprise at my mothers words though but it was Caleb who hurried to say: 'Oh no Mrs. Ross, we're just friends!' True, I thought sourly, but he didn't have to say it that quickly...

It did however make my dad feel better for he said suddenly a lot brighter: 'Oh are you staying for dinner boy?'

'Oh yes please do stay! And don't ever call me Mrs. Ross again, it's Molly alright?' added my mom hurriedly she was already hurrying towards the kitchen to prepare dinner. I couldn't help but smile at that, mom loved to cook and she loved guests.

Caleb, always the gentleman said politely: 'I'd like that very much Mrs. Molly, Mr Ross.' I could feel him nod his head since I was still pressed comfortably into his side.

'You don't need to go home? Isn't your dad missing you by now?' I wondered out loud, nonetheless happy he was staying.

He turned his face to me and shrugged; 'He's away for business. He wont miss me and if he does he can call me...' he trailed off and sniffed his nose. Already scents were coming out of the kitchen.

'Oh, you think your mom minds if I watch what she's doing?' he asked me, already disentangling himself and getting up from the couch. My dad was staring at him from across the room, I could tell, probably surprised.

As soon as Caleb left the room I heard him say astonished: 'He likes cooking?'

Jared added: 'He's alone at home? Where's his mom then?'

Well at least they weren't focused on me anymore I thought before answering. 'Yeah his mom passed away a few years ago, he loves cooking because it reminds him of her.' Then turning a little more to face Jared I added: 'He's usually alone I think... His dad is always away on business.'

It was quiet for a moment and I could tell the both of them were thinking about what I'd said. From the kitchen drifted more delicious scents and my mom's voice as she chattered about what she was doing to Caleb, obviously delighted in his interest.

'Well if that's so he's welcome to stay over whenever he wants, I'm grateful he's looking out for you Winnie,' said my dad gruffly. Apparently now that he thought we were just friends he felt no objections about Caleb anymore.

I sat back into the cushions and closed my eyes for a moment, 'I'm sure he appreciates that dad.' Just a few minutes of sleep couldn't hurt.