Their Violence, Your Silence.

It Can't Be Undone

Today had been absolutely boring. The only moment that clearly stood out in my memory was passing Winter in the hallway. She’d seen my approach I could tell, the way she’d hunched her shoulders and pulled her books more tightly against her chest.

It had ticked me off. What was up with her? Did she think she was special or something? Because she was smarter than all of us here?

Really it was like she didn’t want to have contact with anyone as if she thought we were beneath her notice!

I’d purposely strode over to her, preparing to give her a piece of my mind about it. Seriously she deserved the whole school hating her.

I dove into the water with force and made my butterfly strokes effortlessly. I enjoyed gliding through the water, it was the only time now a days I could relax.

I suppose it was a good thing Shane had stopped me. It had been obvious the guy just tried to distract me from going over to Winter. Lately he’d been doing that a lot. I suppose he was right. I should just ignore her.

Ignore her…

I started on my tenth lane, pushing myself to greater speed as I sped through the water.
Focusing on the movement of my body, the familiar rhythm. The burning in my muscles as I pushed myself to the limit.

It helped to clear my thoughts.

As I surfaced at long last and heaved myself out of the water I heard applauding.

‘Very good! You broke your personal record,’ the trainer said as he came over to me. Tossing a towel at me.

‘You’re in good shape for the competition’s this year Caleb,’ were his parting words as I hurried to the dressing room.

I really couldn’t care less, swimming was fun, that’s why I did it. The fact that I was very good at it just made it all the better.

Besides Winter had ruined even this small pleasure now. All I’d done was think about her while I was in the water.

When I exited the dressing room and hurried through the abandoned school corridors I became aware of an unfamiliar sound.

I’d stayed till after normal practice hours so I was the last to leave the school, or so I’d thought. But as I passed the auditorium I realized someone was playing the grand piano situated in the corner there.

As I carefully opened one of the doors a little to see who it was a soft melodic voice drifted out.

‘Where are the heroes, in my time of need? Is my crying abandoned or have they gone?’ the voice sang and I realized it was Winter at the same moment my eyes landed on her seated behind the piano, her fingers gliding swiftly over the key’s.

‘They just tend to stand out of the rain. Thinking but not acting, that they’re not to blame.’

I shivered uncomfortably as I realized the lyrics sounded an awful lot like a plea for help. A beautiful plea for help.

‘Falling and crawling, a fight to stand up. The memory still haunts me in the dead of night!’

I felt guilt clawing mercilessly at my chest. Did she sing about all the times I shoved her and pushed her down? Both physically and mentally?

Winters voice had gained more volume as she gained more confidence and now she sang:

‘But one day I’ll be stronger and you better watch out!

I will overcome,

Your violence, their silence!

It can’t be undone.

I will overcome,

Knowing that I’m not the only one.

I will overcome,

It’s the only way to carry on!’


Shock coursed through me and I felt she sang this just for me. Your violence…

My bag dropped with an audible sound to the floor and startled Winter ceased playing, the notes cut of abruptly as she twisted around to look at where I was standing.

Again I was shocked, she wasn’t wearing her glasses and in the sparse light I realized how beautiful her face was. Her hair cascaded around her face like a red golden halo and her eyes were a warm golden brown, normally concealed behind the thick glass.

My throat felt dry for some reason and I quickly picked up my bag and dashed towards the school exit.

I hope she didn’t see me, but I knew she must have.

Echoing in my head was one sentence now: It can’t be undone.

*~*~*~*~*


A sound startled me and I quickly turned around. Was there someone behind me?

I couldn’t be sure as I stared at the one open door. It was so dark in the corridor behind it and without my glasses a really couldn’t see anything.

I picked them up with a sigh and slipped them back on. Cursing the bloody thing for being so necessary.

Now that I lost my concentration I stood up quickly and picked up my bag. Jared was probably waiting for my outside by now anyway.

I loved playing the piano and I really missed being unable to play at home. I could still sometimes play on the piano at Katie’s house but it didn’t feel the same. I liked my privacy.
♠ ♠ ♠
I listened at least 10 times to the song Overcome by Within Temptation.
Copyright to the lyrics I used in this chapter are of course theirs.

Here is the video of this song (for those of you who don't know it):