Their Violence, Your Silence.

Saturday's

‘Hand me that wrench will you?’ my brothers voice sounded muffled from his position underneath the shiny black car. I Had no clue what kind of car it was of course but it looked incredibly expensive.

The wrench my brother had indicated was lying at my feet on the ground just out of reach from his searching hand. I jumped down from the empty oil barrel I’d been sitting on and handed him said item.

‘You think It be a good idea if I got a job as well? Seems unfair that I’m the only one who doesn’t work…’ I really did feel bad about that. I mean all of them even worked most of the time during the weekend.

Although of course Jared just really loved his job and for him this was as much his job as his hobby. All of his friends pretty much worked here as well come to think of it.

‘You shouldn’t feel bad about that kiddo, you have your homework and school to worry about,’ Jared said as he rolled out from under a car for a second to look at me. His golden brown eyes gazed up at me with a frown creasing his forehead. A dark smear on his left cheek.

I fidgeted under his eyes, ‘I really don’t have all that much homework… In fact I already finished everything last night. Don’t have anything to do for school all weekend.’

With two entirely free days I should be able to pitch in a little, if not for the normal bills and stuff then at least so I could put more money in my college savings. I knew my parents and even Jared put every penny they could spare in that account so that I could go to college.

‘Heads up Jared! The owner of that black beauty is coming in. Oh hey there kiddo!’ Andrew the owner of the garage came out of his small office.

He looked just like he always did, his long blond hair in a tight ponytail at the nape of his neck and his blue eyes sparkling as if he’d just been laughing his head off. He wore a slightly dirty overall in a dark blue color and his big hands, permanently looked dirty.

He ruffled my already messy hair with a wide grin, ‘Looking as pretty as ever Winter.’ Before stooping down to look under the car he just mentioned to look at Jared.

They loudly discussed how the repairs were coming along and what still needed to be done or had to be changed. I tuned them out, not all that interested in cars anyway, and focused on the book in my lap.

Yes a job would be a good idea, better than spending all day doing nothing with Katie no matter how much fun it was. Better than being cooped up in the stuffy garage with the guys no matter how much they all treated me like their little sister.

Much better than letting my parents and brother do all the work…

But where to find a good job? A job I’d be able to do without both Jared and my parents protesting that it would be too much for me. Although I was sure anything was fine, I wasn’t weak just a little clumsy because of my bad eyes.

‘How’s she coming along guys?’ a new voice interrupted my thoughts. A shiver ran down my spine and for a moment I stared in confusion at the newcomer. At the warmth in the voice and how differently it sounded from what I was used too.

Then his eyes landed on me, those deep green orbs that I was so familiar with. Another shiver ran down my spine as I saw a quick succession of emotions flit across his face.

First shock, surprise and then shame and regret or at least something that looked like it. Disgust followed that emotion and after that his face sort of shut down. Becoming void of anything but a cold steel look. It was obvious he was gritting his teeth.

Jared and Andrew didn’t seem to notice the change as they both rolled out from underneath the car. It was almost funny how they both jumped up quickly and brushed off their overalls.

The movements were nearly identical.

‘Hey dude! You’re early…’ Andrew said clapping Caleb on his shoulder. Caleb only glanced at Andrew but his eyes quickly returned to mine as if he was still coming to terms with the fact that I was actually here.

Jared popped up beside me and wrapped his arm protectively around my shoulder. I could see how Caleb took in this movement with a small frown, was he worried I’d tell my brother he bullied me? I know Jared was buff but I doubted he could win from Caleb if it came to a fight.

‘Sis, doesn’t Caleb go to your school as well?’ Jared’s heavy rumble said from beside me. I could tell he was smiling, neither of the guys aware of the tension between me and my nemesis.

‘He treat you well Kiddo? Protect you from the nasty bullies?’ asked Andrew his big hands balling into fists unconsciously. Both Andrew and Jared knew how much I’d been bullied at my old school and had on occasion when picking me up from school threatened to beat someone up. He said it with a smile though, more joking then being serious.

Caleb had stiffened dramatically at those words and his stare was almost piercing now. Emotions once again flickered in those cool green eyes but it was so fast I couldn’t tell which. Did he warn me not to say anything? Or was it something else?

It was a miracle no one but me seemed to notice Caleb’s odd behavior.

‘Sure Drew,’ I mumbled, embarrassed with all the attention. ‘We’re best of friends.’ I added when I saw Jared frown. ‘Right Caleb? We hang out all the time,’ I forced myself to say. In my head screaming out for them to notice that I was lying.

Caleb jumped, startled, when I said his name, those green eyes turning colder if that was even possible. ‘Oh yes, definitely.’ His voice sounded forced as well now but I could tell the guys bought it.

‘Good, good, I’m glad you’re making friends Winnie… Told you changing schools wouldn’t be that bad.’ Jared ruffled my hair now a warm smile on his face as he looked at Caleb.

‘I appreciate you watching out for my lil’ sis, she got picked on a hell of a lot at her old school.’ I groaned both embarrassed and mortified. About Jared calling me by that stupid nickname and about thanking Caleb for doing the exact opposite of what he was actually doing.

Caleb seemed at a loss for words as well as he stared slightly wide eyed at both Jared and Andrew. ‘I… Really… It’s no trouble…’ Then he suddenly smirked and I knew he was back to his old self.

‘Who wouldn’t want to watch out for her? She’s so tiny…’ he even smiled saying that and as he looked at both guys I could see they were nodding in agreement.

‘Oh yes,’ Jared said grinning, he let go off my shoulders and walked back over to the car.

‘Anyway, I’m almost finished, just need to tighten a few things up and she’s all good to go.’
Caleb nodded and then they launched into a conversation about of course cars.

*~*~*~*~*


I couldn’t believe Caleb went to the garage my brother worked at. I just couldn’t believe out of all the places that… that guy could go he’d choose to come here. My mind had trouble coming up with appropriate description’s for him.

The way I’d heard the guys talking about him I knew he came here often with a variety of cars. It sounded like he and friends raced with the cars or something.

It made me sad but resolute in deciding not to come with Jared to his work again. I did not need the chance to run into Caleb on the weekend too. Five days a week seeing him was definitely more than enough. Much more than enough.

I really, really needed a job for at least my Saturdays.