Status: updated as I have time.

Welcome to the Family

One

“I still don’t get why I’m here,” Matt muttered as he got out of his mom’s car.

His mother rubbed her temples as she got out of her car to help him with his bags, which of course he refused to let her do. “Mattie we’ve been over this. You’re out of control. The drinking and the drugs are too much.”

Matt’s jaw clenched at the sound of the nickname. Only his father had been allowed to call him that and it had been that way since his father’s death a few years before. : Whatever. You never complained when dad was alive,” he snapped hating the satisfaction he felt watching his mother flinch.

“That’s not completely true Ma..Matthew. Your father just knew how to handle you better,” she said quietly as she walked inside.

Matt snorted and shook his head for once biting his tongue. If it weren’t for the step bastard he wouldn’t be here. He stood quietly outside the door playing with the lighter in his pocket.

“Hey. You got a light?”

Matt turned to see a guy a few inches shorter than him with long black hair standing behind him.

An easy smirk spread across the guy’s face and he nodded holding up two packs of cigarettes. “One of these could be yours,” he said faking the voice of some TV game show host.

Matt laughed as he pulled the lighter out of his pocket. The guy tossed a pack to Matt and he caught it before tossing him the lighter.

“Name’s Brian by the way,” he said as he handed Matt his lighter again.

“Matt. Nice to meet you,” Matt answered as he chewed his nail.

“So what brings you to Roaring Spring?” Brian asked as he ran a hand through his hair.

Matt hesitated as he scuffed his shoe on the ground. “Step bastard thinks I’m a fucking alcoholic,” he muttered.

Brian winced and nodded as he took another drag. “My old man thought the same thing about me. Turns out I was just nuts,” he said, the same easy smirk coming back.

Matt snorted and shook his head. “So you’ve been here a while?”

Brian nodded and shrugged. “Yeah. Been a few months. It’s not all that bad,” he murmured.

Matt nodded as he played with his lip ring. He frowned momentarily as his mother walked over, sliding the pack of cigarettes into his pocket.

“Matthew you’re all signed in. Your bags are up in your room. The lovely girl at the desk will give you your key,” she said trying to ignore the smoke from Brian’s cigarette., “I see you made a friend.”

Matt nodded. “Yeah. Mom this is Brian,”

Brian snuffed his cigarette out on the bottom of his shoe and wiped his hand on his jeans before he held it out for Matt’s mother. “Nice to meet you,” he murmured.

“Likewise. I’m off Mattie. Please call.”

Matt sighed and nodded as he ran a hand through his hair. “Yeah. I’ll try,” he said, sidestepping her hug. She frowned and shook her head before she turned and walked to the car.

“Ouch. Guessing she wasn’t always like that,” Brian murmured as he tossed his cigarette butt into the bushes before he walked inside.

“Step bastard changed her. She used to be…awesome,” Matt said failing to think of a better word.

Brian nodded and the easy smirk returned. “Well stick with me and you may make it out of here half sane,”

Matt snorted as he shook his head. “Only half?”

“Take it or leave it. I make no promises.”

Matt smiled and rested his hands behind his head. “I look forward to it,” he said with a smirk.

Brian threw on a cheesy smile and the girl at the front desk rolled her eyes as she handed Matt his key.

“Watch out for this one Mr. Sanders. Mr. Haner is a pain in the ass,” she said with a smile.

Matt smiled and shrugged. “So am I. We’ll get along just fine,” he said with a grin as he wrapped his arm around Brian’s neck.

Brian grinned and reached his hand behind him to rest it on Matt’s neck. He ignored the feeling of the other man’s muscles tensing as he grinned. “This is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. Sorry Ms. Morgan,” he said with a grin.

The girl smiled and shook her head. “Still. He’s a handful. I just hope you never meet Sullivan,” she said with a laugh.

Matt raised an eyebrow as he followed Brian back toward the rooms. “Who’s Sullivan?”

The smirk returned to Brian’s face and a mischievous glint shone in his eyes. “Jimmy Sullivan. He’s my best friend. I’ll introduce you to him tonight or tomorrow. For now you should get settled in and meet your counselor.”

Matt winced and nodded. “Yeah. Wish me luck. I’ll probably need it,” he muttered.

Brian smiled sympathetically as he watched Matt walk down the hall. “Good luck my man,” he murmured.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I'm pretty sure this story is terrible so far but I'm writing it anyway.

Comments would be awesome.

xo,
Joanie