Status: updated as I have time.

Welcome to the Family

Eight

Brian sighed as he hung up his cell phone. His mother wasn’t seeing him this weekend. Again. Not that he’d expected her to come. At this point it would’ve been a miracle if she’d shown up.

“You know how busy I am with work Brian. I can’t lose what little time I have,” Brian muttered in a perfect imitation of his mother’s voice. He muttered a few choice words under his breath even suggesting where she could shove her laptop as he went back to his room.

“Did you talk to your mom?”

Brian spun around reflexively almost punching Matt in the face. The other guy smirked never flinching as Brian shot him the best glare he could muster.

“You scared the shit out of me. And yeah. She’s not coming,” Brian said as he relaxed and opened the door to his room.

“Neither’s my mom. Though she yelled at me for getting into trouble here so damn early,” Matt muttered as he sat on the edge of Brian’s bed.

Brian snorted and yawned as he flopped onto his bed. “My mom doesn’t care what I do anymore.”

“Almost makes you wanna check for a pulse yeah?”

Brian smiled and nodded. “Sometimes. Most of the time it ain’t worth its weight in shit.”

Matt snorted and shook his head as he rubbed the back of his neck absently.

“Hey can I ask you a question?”

Matt raised an eyebrow as if he already know the question before it was asked. “Yeah. I guess,” he muttered leaning back on his hands. Brian noticed the way his muscles seemed to tense and made a mental note to be ready to defend himself. “Does…your step dad ever hit you?”

There was a silence so thick with tension it made Brian’s breath catch in his throat. After what seemed like forever Matt looked up at Brian. “It’s none of your fucking business.,” he said quietly the venom dripping from his voice.

Brian leaned back away from Matt and raised his hands in defense. “Cuz I know what that feels like. Trust me on that. My mom’s last boyfriend treated me like a punching bag.”

Matt’s anger melted away almost instantly and he ran a hand over his face. Finally someone knew what he was going through. The knowledge made the feeling of isolation leave him like a breath he didn’t know he was holding. “You can’t tell anyone.”

“Promise. Scout’s honor.” Brian said saluting.

“Were you even a boy scout?”

“…No. But you get the idea.”

Matt laughed and shook his head. “Whatever. You doing anything?”

Brian shook his head and yawned again as he stretched out on his bed. He extended his foot ever so slightly pushing Matt to the floor. He smirked at the bigger man not flinching under his glare. “Nope. You gonna work out meat head?”

“No cock for brains. I’m gonna swim. Legit swimming.”

“Not a bad idea. Meet you there?”

Matt smiled and nodded as he stood. He stretched and walked out of Brian’s room.

Brian quickly changed his clothes stopping to fix his hair before he walked out of his room. He paused as he felt someone’s eyes on him. He turned frowning as he looked down the hall and saw no one. He shook his head as he kept walking muttering something under his breath.

“Hey Bri wait up!”

Brian turned grinning at Zacky as he waited for the younger guy. “You coming?”

Zacky nodded. “Yeah. Jimmy wanted me to run an idea past you and Matt.”

“More skinny dipping?”

“Nah. He wants to fuck with Johnny.”

Matt’s eyebrow raised as he only heard the end of the conversation. “Fuck Johnny on your own time dude,” he said getting snorts from the other two guys.

“He’s got an idea for a prank,” Zacky said whipping Matt with his towel.

Matt’s eyes glinted mischievously and Brian grinned. “Go on,” he said with a laugh.

“Next time Johnny gets in the shower we steal his clothes and towel and lock ourselves in his room.”

Brian thought for a minute before he grinned. “Or we could steal his key and lock him out. I don’t wanna know what the fuck is in his room.”

“I can help. I’m good at sneaking around. Plus I’m kinda a clepto.”

The guys turned to see a girl about Zacky’s height with short jet black hair and long bangs with electric blue streaks.

“Who are you?” Brian asked watching her.

“D-Danielle. S-sorry for barging in,” she mumbled looking at the floor.

“No it’s okay. You could actually help,” Matt said as he stood. The girl’s brown eyes brightened as she played with the sleeves of her sweatshirt.

“I didn’t know you were following us. You’re quiet which is always good,” Zacky said.

“I used to pick pockets. I’m good at that. You said he keeps his key in his pocket right?” Dani said quietly.

Brian nodded as he watched the girl. “That would be perfect. He would know something was up if it was one of us. He wouldn’t think twice about running into a person he’s never seen before.” He said with a grin.

“I’ll tell Jimmy. He’s gonna love this,” Zacky said as he got up.

Brian smiled as Danielle’s eyes widened and she nodded nervously. She glanced up at Brian and smiled shyly at him before she looked away.

“You gonna join us?” Brian asked as Matt dove into the pool.

Dani shook her head and flipped her bangs out of her face. “I can’t. I gotta meet a friend. Just wanted to help you guys,” she said as she turned to leave.

“I’m Brian,” he called after her.

She stopped and turned smiling at him before she nodded. “I know. Nice to finally meet you.”

Brian watched her walk away unsure of the feeling she left in the pit of his stomach. He smiled as he dove into the pool, loving the feeling of someone watching him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long!

Comments = <333

x,
Joanie