I Was Just Looking For A Way Out...

Chapter 8

“Uhmmmm excuse me, are you new here?” She says it like an angel. Not one of mercy, or one bringing death or any particular message, but one of compassion, one of kindness, one trying to save me from all this solitude. You know, and angel that just happens to be in a mental hospital. Something corny like that, at least that’s how I’m looking at it, but again, I’m in a mental hospital for a reason.

“Uhh, yea, I came in yesterday night.” I sound like a complete fucking idiot when I say it, I know I do, if I was alone I’d slap the shit out of myself.

“Well, my friends and I were wondering if you wanted to eat with us or something?” She says smiling.

“I’d really appreciate that! You know… being new kid and all, thanks a lot.” I say trying to give her my most pleasant smile… it always seems so forced and awkward but I at least I can say I tried. You know, when I’m telling our future kids about his in 20-30 years. Yea, she’s that hot. I follow her back to her table.

It’s 2 girls and 2 guys before I come counting the girl that got me, looks like I’m fucking up that even ratio. Or fixing it I guess… I suddenly realize one of the guys isn’t quite a guy… well he his, he’s just a really weird like; transgender cross dresser. So it’s kind of like 2.5 for both sides now that I’m there.

I can’t help but wonder if he’s here because he has fucked up parents and they think gender confusion is a mental problem, or if he’s more going on for him then a love for women’s fashion. Apparently he noticed my somewhat slack jawed stare because he starts to talk.

“Hi, I’m Simone.” And he stretches his hand out, it hangs limp and feminine in the air. I’m not sure if I’m supposed to kiss it or not… so the handshake is a little awkward but it gets the job done. He really had a strong grip for the girly handshake…

As I’m about to say my name somebody else speaks,

“Hey, I’m Jeremiah.” …of course he’s here, and of course his voice is as amazing as his face. It’s smooth… not normal smooth, it’s like melted chocolate. The girl who brought me over introduces herself as Emily, and the other girl as her girlfriend Taylor.

There goes that perspective love interest.

“Well, I guess it’s my turn, I’m Will.” I say, trying to sound somewhat gracious. You know, or whatever the proper tone is for a meeting a new clique at the teen wing in a mental hospital.

Then it hits me, if the girls are gay, and the one guy is obviously flaming in his girly sheik clothing… then this is probably the gay table, which means things with my hunky roommate could get interesting.

You know, providing he doesn’t vomit at the sight of me first. Complete and utter lack of any kind of good looks is usually a pretty big turn off. I’m more of a drunk brown bag date… double brown bag if they’re sober.

“So, uhh, Jeremiah; I think were roommates.” I say nervously and laugh a little, even though I didn’t make a joke. God, how cool am I?

“Yea, I noticed I had a new roomy.” He says and laughs… somehow it’s just so much cooler when he does it. Less pathetic or something.

“You two are rooming together? That’s such a huge coincidence!” Emily says, way too excited then she should be about it. Maybe she’s the matchmaker around here, and I’m supposed to be Jeremiah’s new ugly, safe, boyfriend. I must look pretty gay; especially if that’s her first conclusion about me.

Aren’t there only like 30 people here? It’s really not that big a coincidence… and how shallow am I? Now that there’s no chance with me and her my opinion changes from angel to annoyance in a matter of 2 minutes.

“Not really, I mean counting Will there only, what? 25 people here, and I had an empty room. It’s not like we beat any impossible odds here.” Jeremiah says, and for some reason I think we might get along all right.