Status: Completed. Decided not to do a sequel.

Children Of The Damned

Chapter 25

Eliana

The next few days felt like they came right out of a dream or a teenaged romantic comedy. Damon and I were as inseparable as always, only now things were different. However, the shift was easy as breathing, as if we had always belonged this way.

When he kissed me, I didn’t want him to stop. Even though we had only officially been together for a few days, I felt an insane sort of intensity with him that I knew wasn’t normal. I wasn’t going to complain, I just wasn’t used to it.

He never pushed me, never tried to take advantage of my intense attraction to him. He made sure that we were going at a pace that was going to be comfortable for me. It was one of the many things I loved about him.

Tonight would be our first real date, and I wanted it to be perfect. Damon proposed that we make a sort of public entrance as a couple. I knew he just wanted everyone to see me on his arm. He wanted to show off, he was so happy. And so was I. I never thought this would happen, but it did, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way.

But if I was going to be going out with him, I was going to look hot while I was doing it.

I put on a black and white striped dress with one sleeve that went off the shoulder. I paired that with black tights and matching platform heels. I put little red rose studs in my ears and painted my nails to match, following with red lipstick. I pulled my hair out of my face with a clip studded with black stones.

I told Damon I would meet him at the Grill at eight, and I could tell already I was going to be a little late due to my vanity.

I ran out to my car (not an easy feat in the heels I was wearing) and drove down the road to the Mystic Bar and Grill.

I could tell already that it was going to be a busy night because I had to park across the street and walk almost a block to get to the door.

When I walked inside, I immediately felt self conscious. Why is everyone staring at me? And then I met eyes with Damon, sitting at a booth by the far wall.

I gave him my own private smile, the one I reserved especially for him, and walked over to meet him.

___________________________________________________________

Damon

At first, I didn’t realize she had arrived. But then I heard Tyler from across the room let out a low whistle, talking to one of his friends at the pool table. “Look at Ana. Damn.”

My eyes shot up, and there she was, walking through the front door, hips swaying in that way she did without trying. Her high heels made her legs look impossibly long, and her lips were pouty with red lipstick. Her hair had been pulled away from her face, leaving her long, graceful neck exposed. It made me hungry just thinking about it. I took another swig from my drink for courage, and then Ana looked up, spotting me.

She smiled in that way that stirred up emotions I had forgotten I was capable of feeling.

Her eyes never strayed from mine, and when she reached me, she placed a lingering kiss on my cheek.

“You look beautiful,” I told her, surprised by how unsteady my voice sounded. What was happening to me?

“Thank you. And you look as handsome as ever.”

She smiled again, and took my hand from across the table. She was going to drive me crazy if she kept it up.

“Everyone’s staring at us,” she whispered across the table to me.

“Correction. Everyone is staring at you.”

She had an incredulous look on her face. “Why? Do I have something on my face?”

“No. Look at yourself, Ana. You look absolutely…delicious. That’s why everyone is staring at you. Every male in this room wants you.”

She blushed furiously, and the blood that rushed to her cheeks made my mouth water slightly. I took another swig from my drink.

“Well,” she retorted. “I only want one male in this room.”

For a second, I forgot my own name. but I managed to pull one of my signature smirks. I brought her hand to my lips, kissing it. She smelled amazing, a slight mix of rose perfume and her own natural musk.

She ordered the spaghetti, and I ordered the steak. She ordered a coke, and I ordered another drink, whiskey on the rocks.

As our food was delivered to us, Stefan and Elena walked in the door. I tensed automatically, wondering what their reactions would be to us being together, finally.

Stefan smiled at me. “Good luck,” he mouthed, and took Elena to a booth on the other side of the room. Elena wasn’t paying much attention. She didn’t even notice we were there.

We managed to finish our meal without attracting Elena’s attention. Matt walked by and saw us as he was bussing tables, but he didn’t look sad, or even mad.

But when he walked up to our table, I started to worry.

“Can I talk to you for a second?” Matt asked, looking to me.

“Matt-” Ana started with a warning tone.

“Don’t worry about it, Ana,” I assured her. “We’re just going to go talk for a minute. That’s all.”

Then I got up and left the table with Matt, who led the way out the side door of the restaurant and into the chilly evening air.

“Look, I’m not here to give you a bad time, but I just wanted you to know that she really cares about you. I’ve just seen what you do to girls, and I don’t want anything like that to happen to her.”

“Matt, I’m not the same person you thought I was a few months ago.”

“Ana changed all of that?” he asked, his tone dubious.

“Believe it or not, she changed a lot for me. And I would never hurt her, Matt. I would kill for that girl.”

“Good. Because I still think she can do a lot better than you. Although I can’t deny the fact that I have never seen her smile more than when she is with you. But if you hurt her, so help me God-”

“You’re not really in a position to issue threats, Donovan. You were fine up until that point. Now I’m going to pretend you didn’t just say that, and I’m going back inside to enjoy my first date with my girlfriend.”

Matt nodded, and I think he understood on some base level that I could do some serious damage to him if he crossed me like that again. No one ever threatened me, and for good reason. It went against instinct, like a deer threatening a mountain lion.

When I went back inside, I found Ana sitting at the booth, wringing her hands, looking nervous.

“You okay?”

“I was about to ask you the same thing. Did he give you a hard time? Because if he did, I swear I am going to-”

“Don’t worry about it. He was just telling me to take care of you. He cares about you. I respect that.”

I sat back down. “You ready to go?” I asked.

She nodded.

I called for the bill, and after I paid it, I walked with her out to her car.

“You really do look beautiful tonight,” I told her, and I couldn’t resist touching her. My hands went to her hips, and I pushed her gently up against her car, pressing myself against her.

Her breath quickened, and I felt her heart racing against my chest.

I pressed my lips against hers, closing my eyes as I listened to the thrumming of her pulse. Her arms went up my sides to clasp behind by back and under my leather jacket.

She deepened the kiss, her tongue meeting mine.

Suddenly I knew I had to stop or else risk hurting her. I needed blood, and I didn’t want it to be hers.

I pulled away, and her eyes widened as she saw my face.

“Are you okay?” she asked, trying to hold my face in her hands and turn it toward the nearest street lamp.

“I’m fine,” I said, blinking repeatedly, rubbing at my eyes. “I think I just had something in my eye.”

“Are you sure?” she asked, and I caught just a hint of disbelief in her voice.

“Positive,” I said, and then I reached behind her and opened the door for her.

“Thank you,” she said, and kissed me again, this time soft and innocent. “I had a great time.”

As she drove off into the night, I raked my hands over my face. This was going to be harder than I thought.
♠ ♠ ♠
Song: Howl- Florence & The Machine.