Status: RE-WRITTEN

Life, Death, and Strange Encounters

Chapter 2

I made it to Chris’ office at exactly 3 p.m. I’m not sure how I managed that, I’m almost never on time. He was sitting behind his desk, already waiting for me, although he seemed just as surprised that I did not turn up late. Closing his laptop, he folded his hands on his chest and turned his gaze on me.

I sat into a leather chair facing him. “So… tell me more about today’s shoot.”

“Well, we don’t have much time so I’ll be quick about it. The shoot is for Monton. It’s the spring collection, yet it’s vibe is a little bit dark. That’s why they wanted you. You’re pale and a bit gothic looking, so you will be perfect.”

“What about my partner?”’

“He’s still a mystery. I don’t know anything about him, they got him from another agency. But you’ll see.”

I rolled my eyes. “Fine, but you know I don’t like working with people I haven’t met first.”

Chris sighed. “I know, but I can’t do anything about it, the people of Monton insisted on having him. And they also want you, so…”

“Alright, I’ll do it. But it’s the last time I agree to working with somebody I know nothing about.”

My manager sounded relieved and stood up from behind his desk. “Thank you, I wouldn’t have been able to find another girl on such a short notice. Plus, it’s a very good deal. We better get going, I’m coming with you. We need to be at the studio at 4 p.m. and it’s already 3:16. Let’s take a taxi.”

We called a taxi and made it to the studio just in time. I was almost tackled by three people, one introduced himself as the photographer, the other two were the make-up artist and the hair-stylist. They told me to put on the first clothes I would be wearing in the shoot. I did it as quickly as possible and next I was dragged into the make-up area. I was used to all of that, so I didn’t care much when the make-up artist and the hair-stylist almost suffocated me. I waited patiently for them to be done, so I could wait in one of the comfortable armchairs until the set was ready. When they were finally finished with pulling and pinching me, I looked into the mirror and thought I looked very good. The style really suited me.

I had planted myself in one of the armchairs where I could see the photographer and his assistants running around, finishing the decorations of the set. I chuckled to myself. I never had so much trouble and running around in my studio. Most of my shoots were quite simple, but strong in essence. Still, if the client wanted, I digitally edited the pictures later to give them something extra.

I was getting really bored, since Chris had disappeared somewhere and I had no-one to talk to. I was wondering where my partner was. And who was he, this mysterious guy whose last name meant Death?

Then I saw Isaac enter the room. What the hell was he doing here!? He had two girls with her, one on his right arm and one on his left arm. They both were giggling like crazy and Isaac was flashing his pretty smile at them. But… Wait! He didn’t have a nose ring. Was it really possible that my modelling partner was his twin brother?

I decided to give it a test. “Isaac!”

He looked at me and came closer. “I’m not Isaac, my dear. I’m Jonathan. And aren’t you a pretty little thing… Are you my partner for today?”

I rolled my eyes. “Nice to meet you. So you’re his twin brother as I can see. And yes, I’m your partner.”

He tried his seductive smile on me. It didn’t work. This guy was absolutely different from Isaac. He seemed cold and arrogant. I couldn’t like him if my life depended on it! “And where did you meet Isaac, if I may ask? We have been in town for only two days and already he landed himself a girl…” He laughed.

I smirked. “I see you haven’t wasted time either.” I gestured towards the two slutty-looking girls who both glared at me. Nice going, Jo, you really know how to make friends!

Now it was Jonathan’s time to smirk. “Jealous?”

I laughed. “You wish! Are you seriously THAT arrogant to think that every girl you meet falls head over heels for you in a second?”

“As a matter of fact…”

I sighed in frustration. “Wait, no! Don’t answer that question.”

He laughed arrogantly. “I’m sure we are going to have a lot of fun doing this shoot, dear. You’re quite the feisty one, aren’t you?”

I growled. “I’m not your dear! And I wish I didn’t have to do this shoot with you!”

“Oh, but you do. And, as far as I can see, the set is ready. Let’s go.” He released himself from the death grip of the two girls in one swift movement. I could see he was used to it… What a prick!

“Sorry ladies, I need to go work with this pretty thing over here, I’m sure I’ll see you around, though.”

They both groaned and grabbed his shirt. “No, don’t go, Jonathan! Take us, don’t go with her! We’re models too!”

He fake sighed. “I wish I could. See you around!” And with that, he grabbed my hand and dragged me to the set. This was going to be interesting…

***

The set was decorated in a gothic theme. It was what appeared to be a bedroom in a mansion. The main colours were black and dark red. There was a big four-poster bed in the middle with satin sheets and many pillows. The walls were covered with paintings and there was a chandelier hanging from the “ceiling.” There was also a sofa and a coffee table in one part of the room and a wooden desk near the window which was covered with thick long curtains. The lights were dimmed, so that it would appear as if the room was lit only by candles, but it was still light enough to take photos. All in all it was the most astonishing set I had ever seen and I was happy I would be able to shoot there. Of course, there was one problem: Jonathan.

It looked as if he wasn’t moved by the beauty of the room at all. When I asked him if he liked it, he merely shrugged and said he had a similar one in his castle back in the United Kingdom. I stared at him for a while after he said that. I mean… He had a castle!? My parents were rich, but they had never even THOUGHT of buying a castle. The thing is, we really don’t have castles in Estonia. We do have mansions, but they are usually not just for one family or person to live in. Most of them have been turned into hotels or museums. Therefore, my reaction might have been understandable.

He saw me staring at him and grinned. “What is it, love? I know I’m good-looking, but your staring creeps me out already.”

I rolled my eyes. “I’m not staring at you because I think you’re good-looking. I was just surprised that you have a castle!”

He shrugged. “So? Isaac has one, too. Our grandfather gave one to us both on our 18th birthday. I usually live in London, though, to be more accessible for modelling work. Isaac spends more time in his than I do. He’s an artist and a writer; it’s not that important for him, where he does his work.”

I was in awe. “Your grandfather gave you both a CASTLE for your birthday? Who IS he!?”

Jonathan smirked. “He’s in the death business.”

I was confused. “What do you mean? He’s an assassin?”

He laughed. “No, of course not. He takes care of dead people, so to say.”

“He works in a morgue?”

Jonathan started laughing even harder. “Love, honestly, let’s just drop it. I can just say that he’s a very important man. Not many decisions are done without his say in it.”

I honestly started to suspect his grandfather was a mob boss or something. Death business? Seriously? But that reminded me of another thing which I wanted clarified. “Hey, Jonathan!”

“Yes, love?”

I rolled my eyes at the pet name but decided to ignore it. “Why does your last name stand for Death?”

He looked surprised. “How did you know?”

“Mort stands for Death.”

“Ah, you’re a clever one.”

“So, why is your last name Death?”

He didn’t answer, just smirked.

“Tell me!”

“It’s a secret, Doll-face.” I groaned in frustration, but decided to just drop it – he wasn’t going to tell me anyway. And it was probably just a coincidence.

“Okay, let’s start!” said the photographer and motioned for us to go to him.

“So, what I basically want you to do is to act like lovers. I want a little vampiric touch, that’s why the room has a dark theme. So act very passionately and you might even go a bit over the edge, overall the appearance of the pictures has to be very forceful.”

Jonathan and I looked at each other with a disgusted face, but we got over it and nodded to each other.

“Let’s do it.”

He took my hand and we begun the shoot.

***

I was wearing a black strapless dress that went to my knees, a black thin jacket with a red lining and black lace gloves. My shoes were black leather high heels. My long dark hair was curled and pulled back a bit, away from my face. The make-up consisted of dark eyes and crimson lips. My cheeks were blushed quite heavily to bring out my cheekbones. A good trick, I used it on my pictures, too.

Jonathan was wearing black pants and a black button-up shirt. The top 3 buttons were left undone. His long hair was a bit curly and his pale skin shined in the light. I had to admit, he was gorgeous. But he looked exactly like Isaac and it pained me. I had to act like I loved Jonathan, while I had a big crush on Isaac, whom I may never see again.

Jonathan grinned slightly and led me to one of the bedposts and pushed me against it. He put his one hand on my hip and the other on my waist. He looked into my eyes and smirked. “Play along. These pictures are going to be great.”

I sighed and decided to just let my emotions go. I had time to worry about Isaac later, right now I had to do this shoot and I had to do this well to get paid. I managed a flirtatious smile and looked Jonathan in the eyes. I put my hands around his neck and whispered. “We’re going to give them Hell.”

About three hours later we were finally finished and the photographer was very pleased with us. “These pictures are great! You two are the best models I’ve ever worked with, you’re so cooperative! Well done!” Jonathan and I looked at each other and smirked. Then we headed towards the dressing rooms to get changed out of the last clothes we had to wear in the shoot.

Before going to separate dressing rooms, we stopped walking and looked at each other. Jonathan had a smirk plastered on his face like always. “You did good today, love.”

I smiled back at him. “You weren’t half bad yourself, Jonathan.”

“So what do you think, are we going to do more work together in the future?”

I shrugged my shoulders. “Let’s see what the future holds. We DO make a good team, I must say.”

“Indeed we do. Hey, why don’t you give me your telephone number, maybe Isaac and I can invite you to London someday.”

My heart fluttered at the thought of going to visit Isaac and I felt a blush creep onto my cheeks. “Yeah, sure, but don’t think I give it to you because I like you or anything. You’re still an arrogant prick.”

He started laughing. “And you’re still as feisty as always. So, are you going to give me you number or not?”

“Fine.” I gave him my telephone number and made my way into the dressing room.

Little did I know the look Jonathan had when he watched me disappear behind the door. It held jealousy. He had seen my face when he mentioned Isaac. And he vowed to himself that HE would get me, not his bother. The biggest flaw of arrogant rich guys: they always want what they can’t have.

What had I gotten myself into?