Status: ~possibly in the process of being published~

Visual Kei

Transformations

Tightly-packed aisles stood close together in the small store, each shelf filled with frilly, brightly-colored garments in a style known as Lolita. Though I knew we were searching for Miko, I couldn’t help but stare in awe at the amount of stock that was available. Each aisle was nearly spilling over with clothing, all folded neatly and stacked high. Racks held layers of accessories, so that one would have to dig to see every item. There was even a clearance section at the back, a large pink plastic tub overflowing with various garments.

Kiiro and Shinji entered nonchalantly, uninterested in a sight so common in Japan. It was my first time truly “away” from the base. This was Osaka, this was impressive. All I could do was stare—stare at the intricately-patterned wallpaper and at the stuffed animal decorations, but mostly at the employees. Two employees, one male and one female, watched us enter, greeting us kindly. The female was dressed in Sweet Lolita and the male was dressed in aristocratic clothing.

“How may I help you today?” she asked pleasantly, her eyes drifting toward Shinji as she spoke. “Are you looking for something specific, perhaps?”

“Actually, we were looking to speak to one of your employees. I believe she is a new one,” he said. “She might call herself Miko.”

“Miko? Oh yes! Please wait here for a moment.” She disappeared into a back room. The man smiled to me absently and busied himself with something in one of the aisles. The guys stood awkwardly, unsure of where to go or what to do. I stepped into one of the aisles, glancing at their products. I had always wanted to shop at a Lolita boutique, but I was painfully aware of how poor I was when I saw the price tag.

After a few moments, I heard a new voice, a slightly nasal, but delicate soprano. I turned at the sound, looking upon something… unexpected and slightly scary.

Miko had changed since that day we saw her picture in the mirror. Her hair was now dyed one tone: a light brown and curled in large ringlets and piled up high on her head except for two long locks that swept down her chest. What was really surprising (other than her obvious extensions) was her horrible tan. It looked like she bathed in copper or something of the same luster. She wore a miniskirt and a Baby, The Stars Shine Bright shirt with short sleeves. She no longer wore Visual Kei makeup and her piercings had long since been removed. Visualesque Miko had evolved into full-on Kogal/Ganguro... I had to do a double-take.

“Miko?” I asked, my eye threatening to twitch.

“No, I don’t use that name anymore,” she said loudly, shaking her head. “I stopped.”

“Why?”

“I’m not in Fallacy anymore. I don’t want to be a part of the Visual Kei scene; I just want to be… myself. If you’re a fan, please leave me alone.”

“I’m not a fan,” I said flatly. “I just want to talk to you.”

“Who are you then?” she asked, her eyes wide with surprise and a little fear. “Have I met you somewhere before?”

“No,” I said, shaking my head. I smiled a little, but it sat strangely on my face. “I’m Alice. I am a friend of these guys here.”

There was recognition in her eyes before they darted to the men, scanning Shinji quickly, but I noticed that her gaze stopped on Kiiro. Somehow, her eyes became even wider. She looked frenzied and stepped behind the safety of the counter, gripping it for support, never for a moment taking her eyes from Kiiro. “Wh—what are you doing here?”

“Do not excite yourself. I am not here by choice,” he said coldly, his eyes hidden by his sunglasses. I hadn’t noticed them before.

“You haven’t changed, I see,” she replied quietly, her words somehow more acidic than his.

“Did you expect me to be all rainbows and butterflies? Spare me your sermons.”

“You think so highly of yourself. It’s a wonder you have any admirers at all.”

“I am many things, but I am not arrogant.”

“Say what you will. I know some of the things you say to others… even her… and you still deny being haughty? Pathetic, Kiiro.”

“Know your place, woman, for my mother is dead.”

“So is your sense, apparently.”

“You would like to speak of sense? Where were your precious senses when your friends needed you? Where were you for them in their vulnerability? You were hiding out here like the feeble coward that you are.”

“I… that is…”

“Why did you break away from your band and your band mates? I’m told that it wasn’t all that… bad… a break up,” I asked to relieve the tension. “And you had to have your reasons.”

“I don’t want to be part of the music scene anymore. Isn’t that reason enough?”

“Not really, you enjoyed it before. At least your sister said so.”

“My… sister?” she repeated, as if unable to understand. There was pain and anger in her voice. “What would you know of my sister! If you hurt her, I swear I will—“

“No harm has come to her. She is travelling with us, but she is not with us at the moment,” Shinji said soothingly. “Don’t worry.”

“What do you want from me?”

“There’s something I need to know that only you can tell me. You did some work for the American government. There’s no need to deny it, I already know of it. I just need to know the details.”

She was silent for a time, her eyes analyzing me quickly, coldly. “Why should I tell you anything? I don’t know you,” her eyes ventured to Kiiro and landed there hostilely, “and I’m sure I don’t want to.”

“True, you have no reason to trust me or anything I say,” I said with a soft chuckle. I walked around toward the other side of the curved counter, nearer to the man whom had watched us speak with detached interest. “We know what's going on around you. We can see the bigger picture, and we have the power to alter it. We can do things that you could only dream of while shaking in terror beneath your Hello Kitty blankie at night before beddy-bye time… and we know how to avenge the wrongs against you and your friends. We can guarantee an end to these petty cat-and-mouse games that you’re dealing with now. If you want to die a pointless and painful death, then by all means refuse me.”

I shot her a glance, feeling pity and shame as I looked on her. She was clearly frightened out of her mind. The Aku had not been kind when they were able to catch up to her, and there were bruises visible even with her tan. I knew what it was to be afraid, but I also knew a good deal when I saw one. Her eyes fearfully darted across the men's faces and her lips quivered. I thought for a moment that she might cry out.

“I know of your clairvoyance,” I continued easily, returning to my place between Kiiro and Shinji. “I know that you have seen me in your visions. You must have, if you heard what he has said to me.” I indicated Kiiro. “And you must know the… depth of his emotion. You may know even darker secrets than these simple things.”

Her gaze fell to the floor a moment before returning to Kiiro’s face. Her eyes flashed hotly and she turned her harsh stare upon me. “How do I know you’re not bluffing?”

“You appear to be… acquainted… with Kiiro,” I said, shooting him what I imagined to be a look of disapproval, though I attempted to hide it. My suspicions were rising. “You must know of what he is capable of. Imagine a group twice this size with capabilities rivaling his.”

“Fine, I’ll tell you whatever I know. Let’s get out of here first.”