It All Started at a Bar

It All Started at a Bar Chapter 6

I woke up next to Dan early the next morning. I felt gross and hung over and Dan’s snoring wasn’t helping. I sighed and slowly got out of bed. I pulled on my clothes and quietly left Dan’s place. I hailed a taxi and headed to Mike’s place.
I slowly opened the front door and heard laughter coming from the kitchen. I also smelled bacon so I headed over.
Jill was wearing one of Mike’s shirts and she had her arms wrapped around his waist as he make breakfast.
They looked happy and lovey dovey so I left, despite my hunger. I headed upstairs and took a quick shower. As I got dressed there was a knock on my door. I quickly pulled on my clothes and opened the door.
Mike was there, shirtless, holding a plate full of food and a beer in his hand.
“Good morning,” he said handing me the food and the beer. I smiled.
“Thanks,” I said taking it from him.
“I wanted to say thank you for telling me about Jill. Last night we really reconnected and talked. It was nice.”
“Don’t mention it,” I said sipping the beer.
“Yeah, well, I just wanted to say thank you. We’re off to work if you need anything just call,” he said walking away.
I closed my door and grabbed the plate of food. I sat down on the bed and started to eat when the door opened again.
“Hey,” Jill said leaning against the door.
“Yes?” I asked with my mouth full.
“Thank you for talking to Mike. I don’t know what you said but it was nice to hear him tell me how he feels about me. Maybe having you here isn’t too bad. Mike left ten bucks for you in the kitchen for lunch,” and with that she closed my door and left.
I finished my breakfast and started to read Dan’s book again.
******
I woke up a little after noon and headed downstairs. I went out the backdoor and lit up a cigarette.
I needed a plan, I couldn’t stay here forever.
I closed my eyes and tried to think of a plan. I needed a second job. I used to waitress, before I was taken away. There was a restaurant across the street from the bar. I could see if they were hiring. I needed to find a cheap apartment and get a car. The car was going to be the hardest part of all this.
My cigarette was out so I lit up another one. I took a deep breath and thought about my options. I needed to start job hunting.
I put of my cigarette and headed back inside. I grabbed a beer and headed upstairs. I got dressed and tried to look as professional as possible but still trying to look causal, for the bar later on tonight. I headed back down stairs and grabbed the ten bucks from the kitchen table and headed outside.
I hailed a taxi and had him take me into the city towards the bar. Once there I start to go into restaurants and taverns applying for waitress positions. By the time I had to go to work I had three call backs which was enough for me.
I walked into work and took off my jacket and pulled my hair up.
“Hey Madison,” Big Al said once he saw me.
“Hey,” I said sighing.
“What’s up?” he asked as Dan gave me a quick kiss on the cheek.
“Job hunting. I need a day job,” I said as I grabbed a beer from the fridge.
“Mike charging you rent?” he joked.
“No, I just need my life back. I don’t feel like Madison you know?”
“Well, what does Madison need to feel like Madison?”
“My own place, a car, independence,” I said simply.
“Don’t rush it. Mike is a good guy. Milk it a little,” Big Al said before walking way.
I smiled a little as Dan walked over. “How’s the book?” he asked.
“Great, I’m half way done. I love the foreshadowing and the character arch that you put in there. Oh and the metaphors, you’re a brilliant writer,” I said taking a sip of my beer.
“Thank you. I had no idea that you knew so much about literature.”
“It’s my little secret. I went to school for writing, but dropped out my sophomore year.”
“Why?”
“Life happened, I made some bad choices…” I was starting to get a little uncomfortable. I took a longer sip of my beer.
“Ever think about going back?”
I shook my head no. “It’s too expensive,” I said as a few customers walked in.
“Show time,” I said walking over to them.