Status: This story is completed!

Love is a Pretty Tragedy

Chapter Eighteen

[Chapter 18]

Henry's POV


Today I was glad to go to training; I needed to clear my head. I had to get out of the house so Keane wouldn't get suspicious to why I was walking around moping all the time. I joined this training in the first place to get my mind off her, but it seemed to just make it easier for me to stalk her. Now, I determined I was completely dedicated to the program. I just couldn’t let Audrey get under my skin anymore, or Shawn intimidate me.

I closed my eyes and transported to the gym. I rarely used my favorite truck anymore. Honestly, I couldn't bear to take out the CD that Estelle had made for me, the CD that we played so many times when we were out at our spot. I am almost surprised that it still worked since she had made it for me as a gift for our one-month anniversary. At that time, I was not really into music other than just following along to whatever the guys on the baseball team listened to. I wonder if she got her interest in music from her brother, but either way, she introduced me to so many new songs and artists that I also grew to love.

Instead, many days I would just listen to the radio or nothing. I used to be more connected to music when I was with Estelle. For some reason, it just doesn’t connect with me in the same way. Maybe one day when I saw how happy she was, I would listen to it again and it will bring back similar feelings.

I walked into the training gym, and it was much different than usual. The lights were on, when it was always pitch black. Shawn was sitting at his desk in the corner of the room reading a magazine. I do not know if I have ever truly seen him sitting down before. He is usually somewhere on the floor training himself. He appeared so causal and laidback, instead of the usual uptight and aggressive personality. Best of all though, Audrey was nowhere in sight. It seemed like I might have a different training day than normal.

I cleared my throat to get Shawn's attention, even though I was sure he heard me come in. "Have a seat, Henry." He took one hand off his magazine to point to the chair in front of his desk. I walked cautiously over to his desk. I could never trust Shawn and his antics. Then, it all came back to me, all that happened before Estelle's party. I had been so focused with the aftermath of my gift that I had almost forgot what had happened earlier that day. Audrey kissed me, and then I cussed her out. She must have told Shawn that I was headed to Estelle's party. However, when Shawn put down his paper, he didn't look angry at all. "You don't look too hot Henry, are you alright?"

I stumbled through my words, not sure if I should just go ahead and apologize first or not. "I-I guess that...you know, heard from Audrey?"

"Audrey. Hmm, she won't be training with us anymore." Shawn said point-blank. He turned another page in his magazine, determined to look at every last page instead of taking a break.

We sat in silence for a few more minutes as he casually flipped the pages. My mind was racing as that was not the answer I was expecting. I wasn't sure if I wanted to ask why, but I knew that I had to. Curiosity would get the better of me. "Oh, why?" I attempted to not sound too excited as I broke the silence.

"Well, it has come to my attention that you aren't very fond of her.”Shawn said casually as of course that is why she isn’t here.

“So she is no longer needed. We have a change of game plan now. I had made a promise to her so I told her I'd give her a chance, but you did not click." Shawn was suddenly serious and there was sense of frustration. He got out of his chair and began pacing behind his desk. However, what he said made no sense to me. Why would she leave just because I didn't like her? I thought this was just a training camp for new vampires to the clan.

“I’ve been working on this for almost 30 years, so she was useful to me for a time, and I felt like the least I could do was a trial run for her, but---” Shawn trailed off before continuing again. “I would not let her ruin this for me.” Shawn paced around a little more. I wasn’t sure what he was aiming for, a question or just some added suspense to what else he had to say. It almost sounded like he was putting on a performance and waiting for my reaction. As if I was the audience, and at this point, I was supposed to oh and ah.

"This is the most important task that I have told you to do yet.” Shawn stopped pacing and looked me dead in the eyes. “It might sound a little crazy, and I didn't really want to go about it this way, but I need you to get back together with Estelle Gray." I searched Shawn's face for a sign that he was joking, but there was none. He was completely serious.

"Hold up, I'm a little confused." I stood up, and now I was the one pacing the room. I looked him in the eyes and shook my head. "You want me to get back together with my human girlfriend? The one that you always tell me to avoid and that I need to move on from. The one that you told me I couldn't stay together with if I wanted to be part of the clan."

A quick smirk crossed Shawn's face, which sent me even more mixed signals. "Yes, that is exactly what I am telling you to do. I told you plans have changed, and I was figuring that this would not be a problem for you. Keane had warned me from the beginning in fact that he didn’t think you would be able to let that girl go. Perhaps I was naïve to underestimate you two."

I walked back to a chair and sunk into it. Shawn was not going to be happy about this. None of this made any sense. I didn’t want to put Estelle in harm’s way, and there was something about Shawn that told me that she definitely would be. However, it didn’t matter after what had happened last night.

"Well, I wish you told me earlier." I thought back to last night; she would never want to get back together with me now. I didn’t want to try to go after her anymore. We were done the day I told her I didn’t love her. I should have realized that way then.

"What's the problem? She loves you, doesn't she?" Shawn seemed concerned now. His eyes were scanning my face.

"She did, but there is another boy now...Ethan.” I couldn’t help to say his name with disgust.

Shawn's eyes went wide. "I'm presuming Ethan Clark. I can't believe this." Shawn slammed his fist down on his desk. "That son of a bitch."

I was utterly surprised, how did Shawn know who this Ethan was. Did literally everyone have some kind of relationship with this kid? There must be something about him, something that means Estelle should not trust him. "You know what," Shawn said, obviously a new idea was coming to him, "that makes it even better. You've shape-shifted into him before? You can do it again and sabotage the relationship. That will really get..." Shawn drifted off into his own thoughts.

How did he know that I had shape-shifted into him? I guess he kept more tabs on me than I knew about. "I have, and believe me I wouldn't mind doing that. However, I broke up with Estelle long before Ethan. I couldn't be with her because of what I am. I’m tired of the secrets and the lies, and I can’t hide behind her parent’s strict rules anymore." My mind flashed back to that horrible day when I first broke her heart; I shook my head to get it out. “I was obsessed these past few weeks, but last night confirmed that I need to get her off of my mind until she leaves for Chicago.” I was assured in my new resolution.

"Ugh." Shawn grunted. "I shouldn't have given Audrey that chance. She tried too hard, and in result you were too extreme with your fascination. I should have known you would have messed this up so badly that--" Shawn realized that he needs to regain his poise. He was going to say more than he desired to reveal. "Look, Henry." He was standing right next to me, and he had his hand on my shoulder. "You never hurt Estelle before, have you? I mean physically because of your hunger. You are one of the most controlled vampires I have ever met."

I shook my head, even more confused. "No, of course I haven't. However, she asked to marry me, and I couldn't..." I stopped because I looked at Shawn's face, he seemed to be melting with happiness.

He grabbed me by the shoulder. "She wanted to marry you?" I could hear the giddiness in Shawn's voice.

"Yes, after her brother died at his funeral. But Shawn, this is getting too weird for me. I still don’t quite understand. I’m not okay with this part of my ‘training’ either." I shook his hand off my shoulder, and started to head for the door. “I thought this whole program was so I could get ready to really be a part of the clan. I cannot see how Estelle or our past relationship has anything to do with this.”

Sure, I would love to get back with Estelle, but we broke up for a reason. I might have forgotten that these past couple of weeks. I was obsessed with this new power and not thinking clearly. However, last night was a rude reminder. I couldn't hurt her again. I was already at the door when all the muscles in my body were all the sudden frozen. There was severe pain as they kept attempting to thaw, only to be frozen in even tighter confines. I felt like I couldn't handle to move even one step, only the muscles in my face I could move. "What the heck?" I said trying to move. I couldn’t just from the excruciating pain alone.

"I am much more powerful than you, Henry. I have powers you didn't even know were possible. So, I will make this very clear." By now Shawn had walked in front of me and placed his hand back on my shoulder. His hand burned on my frozen muscles. "You will do whatever I tell you to do. Don't make me dispose of you like I did Audrey." With that Shawn transported out of the room, as my muscles painfully came back to their normal state. What did I get myself into, and how do I keep Estelle safe from an even bigger threat than me – Shawn.
♠ ♠ ♠
The plans begin to unravel! Each one of the following chapters will reveal a little bit more, as Henry and Estelle begin to see all the scheming that has been going on around them!

I'll try to update soon, but in the meantime thanks for reading and commenting! (:

~Charmedmiss