Status: This story is completed!

Love is a Pretty Tragedy

Chapter Six

[Chapter 6]

The sunshine flooded through my blinds as I slowly awoke. How nice it is to wake up not to an alarm. There was an unfamiliar smell seeping under more door, the delicious smell of banana pancakes. I quickly sat up in bed, slipped on my slippers and ran downstairs only to find my brother wistfully flipping away. He had a smile on his face that I had missed so much while he was gone. No one really smiled in our house, unless it was just a front for guests. "Mmm…smells good.”

Wesley turned around looking a little startled. "Well this is my first time making them, so you can be my guinea pig. My roommate's girlfriend showed us this great recipe. Try it." Wesley grabbed a fork, got a piece of pancake and practically shoved it down my throat.

"Yum!" It took me a second to swallow the large amount of pancake Wesley put into my mouth. “I can’t remember the last time we had pancakes.” I took this as an opportunity to grab a plate full of them. “Well, more specifically, I can’t remember the last time I didn’t just have cereal or a frozen waffle for breakfast.” I was not much of a cook and neither where my parents. Really the only time I did eat real breakfast food was after my dad got back from his council meetings and brought home the leftovers. I guess that is one of the advantages about him spending all of this time there.

"Let's hang out today." Wes said now stuffing his own mouth with pancakes covered in gooey syrup. He even brought out the walnuts to put on top of the pancakes.

"Um…” I didn’t really want to tell Wesley. “I would really, really like to, but I already have plans with Henry.” I paused and waited a second for his reaction, which was nothing so far. “Tomorrow?" I felt horrible. I hang out with Henry practically every day, but I really couldn’t just back out now. Sometimes I do feel like Henry gets depressed if I change plans on him.

I look up at Wesley and could tell he was about to say something. Maybe before the conversation yesterday, he would have said something about how Henry is so horrible. Now I believe he understands though. "Well, when's your date? Unless, you take hours to get ready or something like I guess most of those girls do..."

"At two and no, I only take about 2 seconds. Got anything planned?" I said taking another bit of the pancakes, savoring every bit. I was surprised. They were quite fluffy. My brother might actually land himself a girlfriend if he keeps these skills up.

Wesley looked at me weird and just said, "Sure…I got something planned. Just hop in the old good luck charm."

We arrived at a park that we used to play at when we were just babies, not too far away. We could have walked, but I had missed riding in Wesley’s car as well. I watched all the little kids climbing on the monkey bars and chasing each other around. "I thought this would be a good place to talk." Wesley sat down on a picnic table, and I sat across from him.

“Gosh, I remember how we had a little clubhouse in the woods.” Just coming back here after all of this time brought back so many memories.

“I remember how many times I beat you on those monkey bars, on swinging the highest, on the mini-rock climbing wall...” Wesley said half-teasing and half-proud of his youthful accomplishments.

“Alright, alright I get it! You were much bigger anyway, so definitely an unfair advantage.” I stuck out my tongue, and it instantly brought me back to the times of being immature and that being okay. Being in a serious relationship did mature me faster than Aly or even my brother. Wesley stuck his tongue back out at me, and we both shared a soft laughter. "So what do you want to talk about?" I asked.

"Whatever, you go first." Wes urged. “I just wanted us to catch up on our lives outside of that house. It hasn’t gotten any better since I have left.”

"Ugh, fine." I truly sounded annoyed but was actually enjoying this. "Okay, Mr. College Guy, tell me. Is there a special girl in your life that you would like to discuss? I now mother already brought it up earlier, but you can tell me the truth."

Wes just laughed, "No, not currently. College lets me meet a lot of great people. I have met some really interesting girls that I have a lot in common with but nothing serious romantically." Wes paused reflecting and in his own thoughts. "I guess it's my turn. So, how are you and Henry? I honestly want to know the truth, so I can finally put to rest this perception that I have of him."

“Good, right now.” I wasn’t sure if I really wanted to get into everything. Henry and I couldn’t really even discuss our problems without Henry dismissing them and just allowing the good times to happen.

Wesley sat there waiting for me to continue; I guess I was not going to get out of this one as easily. “It’s just college.” I tried to dismiss, but Wesley knew that there was much more.

“Well, as you know I am going to University of Chicago, and Henry has decided to go to a community college around here.”

“Long distance relationship, alright. You two have already been together for so long, and hey I couldn’t even break you two up.” Wesley joked.

“True, but Henry won’t even talk about what we are going to do or anything. It is just kind of frustrating. It seems like after I leave, he is already planning for us to break up, which I don’t want to do at all.” It felt good to say those words. They had been swirling around in my head ever since I got accepted to Chicago.

"Well, maybe he could move to Chicago with you? There are plenty of opportunities there." Wesley suggested.

I sighed. I appreciated Wesley’s suggestions. I agreed in fact. I didn’t see why he couldn’t give it a try. "He doesn’t even want to. I mean he doesn't have a job there, or a place to stay. His family doesn't have the money for him to move. He says that small town is for him and he owes his life to his brother."

"I’ve seen you two, and it seems like he would do anything for you, even if that means moving to a big city for a couple of years. Also as you know I'm only 45 minutes away from Chi-Town," Wes as hinting that his apartment would be available.

"Wesley don’t be silly, you have roommates already." I truly just didn’t want to get my hopes up, but honestly that could be a possibility.

"Nah, they're cool, and we have an extra room we were gonna rent out. He would probably have to pay something, but it would definitely be at a good discount. Way better than in the city,” Wesley pointed out.

"Well yeah. I’m just still not sure.” Of course, it really wasn’t up to me, it was Henry’s decision.

“It’s an option.” Wes gave me a small smile. More than anything, this was his olive branch. He was saying he loves me and accepts who I love, and that meant the most of all.

Wesley pulled up to the spot right next to Henry's car. "Today was a lot of fun. We should hang out when your home more often," I said wanting and not wanting to get out of the car. A wave of guilt washed over me for only being able to spend a few hours with him.

"We will." Wesley confirmed. I gave him a quick hug and a peck on the cheek before I climbed out of his good luck charm of a car. I gave it a pat on the hood and waved goodbye. Henry was leaning beside the tree as he usually does since I am always the late one. Wesley’s engine started once more and he revved off.

As I approached Henry, he had a weird look on his face. "Interesting," Henry slowly said.

"What do you mean?" I questioned.

"Well, your brother. He drove you here. That's good you guys are getting along better." Henry still had a suspicious look on his face and he crossed his arms. He was aware, more than anyone, how much my family disliked him.

"Yeah, he seemed to have a change of heart while at college. It was unexpected.” Henry raised his eyebrow at my statement knowing that word was definitely an understatement. “He actually even had a great offer. I don’t want to pressure you into taking it or anything because I know we have talked about this so many times and...”

“Just spit it out.” Henry joked.

“Okay.” I finally took a breather. “Well, Wes says he might be able to help us with our situation in the fall. I know that you had wanted to stay here, while I am off in Chicago, but we know that just isn’t all that reasonable. Wesley offered a room in his house for you to stay in for a discount. You could take classes at a community college there, and still do the same things that you were planning on here. He is only 45 minutes away so we can visit each other on the weekends. I just can’t be six hours away from you."

I could almost hear those final words ring in the air as Henry was silent. I figured this may be the reaction from him and that is why I was reluctant to the idea when Wes mentioned it. "It's just...I mean...” Henry fumbled over his words once he finally spoke. “I don't know about my brother... if he will approve." Henry said reluctantly, and it truly sounded like an excuse. I knew that I shouldn’t have gotten my hopes. Henry instantly picked up on my disappointment. "I mean I haven’t been on the best terms with your brother. I feel like this is a lot to put on him, and my brother is starting to depend on me more. He is expecting me to work at somewhere that makes more than the ice cream shop.” Henry took a deep breath as he saw my face. “I will definitely ask and think about it." He quickly recovered.

“No, no it’s fine. I was trying to tell my brother that the plan wouldn’t work anyway. I know I should stop bringing it up...”I felt on the verge of tears as Henry pulled me into his arms.

“Don’t cry babe.” Henry whispered. A gust of wind whirled around us as I tried to hold in the tears. We both walked to the huge oak tree and sat down, trying to get away from the blazing sun. I knew it was good for me to ask, but Henry had already made it clear that he was staying in this town. He was starting to build a life here, and it seemed like that was a life without me.

We were quite for some time, so Henry asked if his response was still bothering me. However, my thoughts had actually shifted to the memories that I was having the night before about our past. I figured it wouldn't hurt to tell him. "Well, last night I talked to my brother about you and all. Then, it got me thinking about when we met and you know." Henry looked down at the grass. I know that he is ashamed and will never forgive himself. He wrapped both of his arms around me tightly. I could feel the slow beating of his heart, almost if it wasn't there. He slowly kissed my ear; then whispered into my ear, "Thank you." I knew exactly want he was thanking me for, changing him. He looked back into my chocolate eyes, I looked into his emerald-green eyes and remembered how they were one of the first things about him that I fell in love with.

At that moment I realized that I truly had to stop worrying. This moment, this spot, he was mine. I couldn’t have asked for a better way to spend my summer. The future is unpredictable, and I need to make the best of every moment I have now.

I took in his scent. “You smell like strawberry ice cream today.” I giggled.

“That’s what I was going for.” He flashed his signature smile.

I flashed a smile back. “Well as you know that is my favorite flavor.” I bit my lip, and next I felt his lips crash into mine. His lips tasted delicious as well.

"Let’s just stay like this forever and never grow older." I said as I broke away. I truly meant my statement. How nice it would be to freeze time in this exact moment.

"Well I’ll see what I can do about that." Henry said before he eagerly returned to the kiss.
♠ ♠ ♠
Perfect? Except, not for long. Everything is about to go downhill, fast. Comment. =D