The Captain of the Football Team

The Captain Of The Football Team Chapter 12

I meet the rest of the guys in the boys’ locker room and sat down next to Liam and Travis. The coaches were talking to each other for a moment before the head coach, Coach, walked over to us and sat on the bench.
“Okay men and Toni, this is our first game. I want you to go out there and show them everything you’ve got. I expect nothing but your one hundred percent, Understood?”
“Yes sir!”
“Good! Now go out there and make us proud!”
Jake put his helmet in the middle of our little circle and the rest of us followed. “Team on three! Team on three! one, two, three!”
“Team!” we all said together before running out of the locker room and onto the field.
The two announcers announced our team and school before the other team came on the field. We did a quick warm up before the starters went over to the coaches.
I was with the bench warmers and substitutes, nearby the benches.
Moments later it was time for the kick off and the game started.
**********
We were getting creamed!
The other team was beating us by at least three touch downs and there wasn’t much time left.
I was pacing along the sidelines, hoping that Coach would come to his senses and put me in the game.
Joel and Liam were in the game, like they hoped, I was waiting for my chance to go in.
“Scott!” coach called.
“Yes?” I asked hurrying over to him.
“Go in for Green and tell them to run brown then gray then that weird play of yours.”
I smiled. “I won’t let you down!” I said running on the field.
“Hey,” I said smiling at them.
Jake glared at me. “What’s the play?”
“Brown, then gray than The Little Titans.”
“Don’t drop the ball!” Jake said.
“She won’t! Back off!” Travis said.
“Whatever. Liam, I’m going to throw the ball to you in brown so stay open.”
“Okay,”
We did a quick cheer before getting in formation.
Jake started us off and Liam and I ran wide for a pass. Jake quickly passed it to Liam and he took off running. He was tackled a yard away from the sidelines.
We ran gray next and we scored. I ran off the field with the rest of the offensive line as the defensive line ran on the field.
Dylan caused a turn over and I was put back in the game.
We were in the formation for blue and Jake started us off. I sprinted behind him and he passed me the ball. I ran up the sidelines with two of my teammates in front of me.
It didn’t take the other team must time to realize that I had the ball. I made it to the end zone before they tackled me. The guys hugged me and smacked my butt as we got ready for the kick off.
We were now tied and I was back in the game after another turn over. Coach told us to run the Little Titans when there was ten seconds on the clock if we couldn’t then we should give the ball to Jake and let him run it up the sidelines.
Jake started us off and threw the ball to me. I sprinted up the field. The other team was trying to tackle me. I knew I wouldn’t make it far before getting tackled.
I quickly glanced at the timer.
Eleven seconds left.
I quickly passed the ball to Jake and he scored.
We had won.
******
“Great game today,” a teammate said to me at Jake’s after party.
I smiled. “Thanks”.
I made my way into the kitchen where Jake was.
“Déjà vu” I said walking over to him.
“I guess so,” he said smiling at me. “Good game today.”
“You too,” I said.
“Look, I’m sorry for benching you,” he said.
“And I’m sorry that you’re such an asshole.”
“I deserved that. How about a dance?”
“No thanks. Last time that happened you tried to sleep with me.”
“No, the last time I tried to sleep with you was when you came over uninvited.”
“Whatever,” I said grabbing a beer.
“One dance…” he whispered in my ear.
I smiled to myself. “One dance.”