The Captain of the Football Team

The Captain Of The Football Team Chapter 28

That was the second to last time I really spent time with Jake. The other time was the night before he graduated and flew out to the NFL workouts. We went out to dinner, had sex then called it night. He called me and video chatted with me almost everyday that summer. I texted him, sent him care packages and called him.
Then he slowly stopped answering and writing back; he was busy... I understood that. Our phone calls were brief and our texts were hours apart.
Then one day it stopped. He stopped answering and I stopped calling…
“You have to break up with him,” Janet said as I sat on her bed. It was our sophomore year of college. We had different dorms this year this time with girl roommates.
“He broke his promise; he’s breaking your heart, Toni! Just call him leave a message and end it.”
“She’s right,” Liam said putting his arm around me.
I pulled out my phone as a tear rolled down my face. I dialed his number and waited. Answer machine. “Hey Jake,” I said forcing my voice to sound strong. “I’ve been thinking and it’s time for us to break up…” my voice broke. “I wish you all the best and…I loved you…”. I quickly hung up and looked at Janet.
“I’m sorry, little sis.”
“Me too…”Liam said hugging me.
“I’m sorry too…” I said.
♠ ♠ ♠
The End! The sequel will be coming soon!