Status: One-Shot: COMPLETED.

Vegas Skies

1/1

Alex Gaskarth looked around the suite of his hotel room. It felt so empty now that Zack had left. What was the fun in this Las Vegas vacation now? He was used to the constant fighting, the objects being thrown and the slamming of doors; but unlike the other times his boyfriend had threatened him with leaving, this time was different. This time Alex knew Zack was gone for good. He had bought a plane ticket and everything and now he was on his way back to Baltimore.

The clock was clicking unusually loud, or at least that's how it felt to Alex. It was 9 o'clock and he knew all the best clubs on the strip were opening up their doors to thirsty twenty-somethings ready to party and with any luck, get laid. He stretched as he realized he had nothing to lose but his sanity, and made his way into the bathroom.

-

About an hour later, Alex was standing in front of one of Vegas' hottest gay nightclubs, Evolution. He was never a fan of these places as he did not like labels, but it would be a lot easier to meet someone there. Someone better than Zack, or at least someone who could numb him for the night.

A large and frankly terrifying bouncer at the front door checked his ID before opening the door. Alex took a deep breath and adjusted his skin tight white jeans. He hoped he looked okay. The worst thing you can do is look bad in front of a crowd of gay men. The music inside was so loud Alex could feel it start in his stomach and make it's way all the way through his throat. He sat down at the bar and ordered his favorite drink.

As he sipped the apple martini, he gazed out at the dance floor. That's when their eyes met. The guy was around his age, with deep chocolate brown eyes, a defined nose and dark hair that spiked slightly in the back with bangs in the front. He casually walked toward Alex and sat next to him at the bar. Things were silent for a moment before the guy turned to him and said, "I like your jeans."

Alex felt his heart thumping a mile a minute. "Thanks. I- I-I'm Alex." His voice was soft and sheepish, almost boyish sounding. This apparently made the mystery-man smile.

"The name's Jack. Let me buy you a drink."

Alex just smiled, "Actually, this is going to sound strange, but there's a Waffle House down the street.....and I would much rather strike up a conversation with a gorgeous man like yourself over a cup of coffee than here at glitter-and-techno-palooza drinking cheap liquor."

Jack laughed a bit and nodded in agreement, and the two left the club. As they walked down the street Alex could hear a song come from somewhere in the distance. His mind lurched a bit. 'Not that song, oh God, please not our song.'

Jack noticed his pained expression. "I noticed you because I could tell you're in pain. No one comes to a gay bar, and actually sits at the bar. If you were single or at least happy at all, you would have been out on that floor working up a sweat."

Alex figured the best thing to do was to lie through his teeth. "I don't like dancing."

"Bullshit."

"No, I'm serious."

"Bullshit."

"Okay,you win."

Jack stuck his hands in his pockets. "Care to explain?" He swung the door of the restaurant open for Alex and they found themselves a table.

"My boyfriend, Zack, well, we fight all the time. But we love each other, or at least, I love him. We fight over the most stupid shit but today I guess it just reached a boiling point. I was reading some of his texts and I found one from some Kyle guy. It was all lovey-dovey and it scared me, and I guess it also pissed me off a little bit. So I confronted him about it and he started to yell at me. He told me that I wasn't anything like Kyle and that he needed him because I was terrible at making love...and at everything else I do."

Alex hadn't realized it, but hot tears were pouring down his face and dripping off of his chin. They were wetting his shirt a little bit but he didn't care to wipe them. Jack reached over and grazed them away with his thumb. "Don't cry, Alex. He clearly isn't good enough for you."

Alex smiled. "You're different, aren't you Jack?"

"I try to be." The boy smiled in return.
-

They spent that night, talking and touching each other's hands gently, even sharing a few soft kissed on the lips. Before they realized it, the sun was coming up. They walked outside into the morning sun and stood there for a while, neither one of them wanted to say goodbye.

Jack scratched a note on a piece of paper, before kissing Alex on the cheek and getting into a cab.

Alex felt his heart breaking into a million pieces. He knew that there was great uncertainty in him ever seeing Jack again. He opened the note and began to read it with tear filled eyes.

"Say goodnight, our first goodbye. We've only got forever and forever is fine. Just take your time...we'll stop the clock together. I know the timing was right."