The Witching Hour

Double-crossed

I felt lost. Trapped. The thing that held me in was small, and held nothing of any source of light. I felt as though the walls were drawing in on me, sliding further with each breath I took. My hands pushed forcefully against what felt like steel; cold and unbreakable to the human touch. I seemed to lose all memory of what colours were, what the glow of a sunrise looked like when rising over the sea bed. I had forgotten what it was like to see completely and hear anything other than my pounding heart. My fingertips felt sore; most likely ripped from where I had tried to escape the metal cage. I knew I was alone, unheard, unseen. I was doomed to face my final breaths in a place I didn’t know, a place where I didn’t know how I had got myself to. I was soon to die.
I gasp, and fall back from the edge of the pavement. Cars honk, and people stare as I slide down the edge of a building. My vision had come from nowhere. It was unexpected and haunting. Where was that place I had been? It felt so real and yet so far away. What was going to happen to me? And when?
“Excuse me, are you alright?”
I glance up and shield my eyes from the setting sun. A boy wearing a white shirt, blue jeans and trainers stares down at me. His blue eyes fixed steadily on mine,
“Yes, I’m fine thank you.”
He arches a brow and runs his hand through his mane of blonde hair. “No offence or anything, but you look like you’ve seen a ghost.” He crouches down in front of me and links his hands together. “You sure you’re alright?”
I nod and give him my best “Thanks for your concern smile, but really, I’m fine” smile, and lift myself from the ground.
“I’m Luke,” he says, rising to my level and offering me his hand.
I take it. “Kala.”
It seemed weird that a complete stranger would offer such kindness to another. It wasn’t in an inappropriate way, but in an “I just wanted to be sure you were okay way”.
He looked at the display on his watch and his face fell. “Shoot. I have to be on my way now. You sure you’re okay though?”
Thanking him again I nod and watch him leave. Clouds had started to roll in once again and I could feel the bitterness of winds stir around me.

. . .

“Kala, I have nothing more to say to you. You’re a backstabbing, double-crossing bitch!” I had been surprised to find that Thora actually answered her phone to me – well after at least twenty-five attempts on my part and on a few occasions being to receiver to her kind words of, “Fuck off and leave me alone!”
“If you’d just listen you would understand. It wasn’t at all what it looked like!” I myself had already doubted the words which continuously flowed from my lips. But the truth was there was nothing, nothing but a stupid misunderstanding.
I sigh, rolling off my bed and walking over to my window. A rain had started to fall and I could see people battling the weather, barely able to keep hold of their umbrella’s.
“Are you home?” I ask, hearing muffled voices in the background.
Her hushed voice sounded down the phone to the other people with her. “Uh . . .” She pauses and lets out a breath. “Well, actually, I’m at Leo’s.”
I feel my mouth twitch at the corners, my face burning with rage. “So you’ll forgive him but not me. Is that it?”
No reply.
“I’m coming over to get this sorted. Right now!”
I hang up the phone, rushing down the stairs and taking my raincoat from the banister. Luna was in the living room, talking to my mother. I didn’t even know she was here. But if she was – her car sure would be too.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry that it's short.