Status: In college, but I'll update when I can!

Someone Get Me a Doctor, Someone Call the Nurse

Chapter Two

We rode in silence to the nearby hospital, Jared driving with tight fists and a clamped jaw. Occasionally, I could see the muscle in his cheek twitch. I didn’t try to break the silence, too busy trying not to stare at him. I usually hate stupid fan girls, but at that moment, I knew exactly how they feel. Here I was, in a car…with THE Jared Leto. Given the circumstances, however, I felt mildly guilty to be so excited for a car ride. While buried in my thoughts, Jared asked a question.

“Huh?” I blinked owlishly at him, having not heard him. Noticing this, he smiled softly and my heart melted to a puddle. It was one of those perfect smiles that sets your blood to boil.

“I asked if you had a name. I can’t in good conscience call you ‘woman’ all night.” I smiled back at him. He could call me whatever the hell he wanted, as long as it was decent. I kept that thought to myself and offered up my name.

“My name is Madison Berger.”

“Thanks again for saving my brother, Madison.” My smile fell slightly, remembering the reason I was in the car with Jared Leto.

“He should be ok. I think we got to him in time. And Maddie is just fine.” His smile softened as he pulled into the parking lot of the giant hospital. I could see the worry crease his face as he inhaled deeply before stepping out of the car. I wasn’t far behind him, rushing to keep up with his long strides. In my pocket, my phone chirped at me. It was from Amanda.

Where did you go? I can’t find you anywhere! I texted her back, sure she would never believe me.

Jared Leto asked me to come with him…I know, it’s crazy, but it’s true! I’ll tell you later. I’m at the hospital now. As I got ready to walk through the door, my phone dinged again, earning a look from the nurse in the window. I ignored it as I read the last message quickly.

You better. Love ya! I smiled softly while turning the phone off. I knew the rules about phones in hospitals and respected them. I could always talk to her tomorrow. The clock on the wall read somewhere close to midnight, and my body felt it. Looking around, I spotted the familiar brunette male sitting in a corner with his sunglasses on and headed over.

“Hey you!” I smirked as Jared jumped in his chair, probably thinking a fan had recognized him. Plopping into the chair next to him, I sighed heavily. “What a night…” I felt the air go out of the man beside me, and he seemed to wilt.

“You’re telling me…I just hope he’s ok…” I nodded in agreement, wishing I could reassure him better than just my word as a med student. A sudden ping went off, and both Jared and I dug through our pockets. My screen was dark, and then after Jared said “It’s mine”, I remembered I had cut it off. “Tomo wants to know how things are going. He’s trying to find the hospital.”

“Tell him it’s the big white thing with the orange sock on its roof. If he can’t find that, then tell him to follow the blue signs with the white H on them.” Jared rapidly typed out the message on his Blackberry before slumping back in his chair. Feeling antsy, I trotted over to the complimentary coffee stand and grabbed two cups. It was obvious Jared was zoned out when he didn’t even notice me handing him the cup. It was a little awkward standing with my arm held out, so I coughed slightly. He raised his head, a slight blush staining his cheeks.

“Thanks…” I sat back down beside him, sipping lightly at the hot liquid.

“It’s fine. Not the best coffee in the world, but it’ll do.” We must have sat there for twenty minutes before Tomo arrived. He just walked up and sat down on Jared’s other side, not bothering to ask who I was or what I was doing there. However, I didn’t really expect him to care, so it wasn’t a surprise to me.

“Is he ok?” Jared mumbled something like a yes, burying himself in his hands with a heavy sigh. I hesitated to rub his shoulder in comfort, a habit I formed while interning. Usually in times like this, people craved comfort, but Jared was a celebrity and would probably take it the wrong way, so I left my hands in my lap, curled around the cup of coffee. Feeling like an intruder, I stood up abruptly and worked my way to the other side of the floor, hoping to catch someone I knew.

----------Back with the men-------------

“Wasn’t that…”

“Yes. She helped him, and I really want to repay her somehow, but I don’t know how.” Jared sighed again, leaning his head back on the wall. Beside him, Tomo followed the movement.

“Well, ask her if she’d like something…free tickets, a shirt, an autograph, etc.” Jared shrugged.

“Somehow, I don’t think that she’d want all that, but it’s worth a try.” As he looked up, Jared spotted Maddie rushing back over with a smile on her face…Good news! As she reached them, she stopped almost against Jared’s knee.

“He’s ok. They have him on an I.V. drip and under surveillance, but he’s alright. I ran into a buddy of mine who knows the doctor treating him, and he says that your brother will be free to leave tomorrow afternoon.” Jared felt himself grin in response to Maddie’s own smile and slowly rose to his feet.

(Maddie POV again)

He towered over me by at least several inches, his eyes piercing into my own plain brown ones. Shocked, I felt his warm hands take hold of my own. They were rough, but not unpleasant, and I knew I was blushing extensively.

“Maddie, is there any way I can repay you? Free tickets for life, all our autographs on one of my guitars, money, anything?” I was too stunned to speak. I didn’t want anything for what I had done…that would be like putting a price on someone’s life, and the thought sickened me. Shaking my head, I tried to back away, but his hands held me firmly.

“I don’t want anything. A human life cannot be measured by money or objects of value. I’m just satisfied knowing he’s ok and that you guys can keep on making amazing music.” I smiled softly, trying to keep from blushing further as Tomo closed in on my right side.

“You saved his life. We don’t know how to thank you enough for it…” Yep…there went the blush up another level.

“Really, I’m fine. Just keep rocking out! And when you see him, tell him that he needs to drink more water during shows. Don’t any of you ever forget, ok?” Jared released my hands to mock-salute me.

“Aye aye Captain!” I giggled into my hands at their antics. With my hands freed, I could make a getaway before any more offers came up.

“Take care you three.” As I turned to leave, a hand caught my shoulder and turned me around. Jared handed me his phone, making a puppy face.

“Please give me your address?” Suspicious, I cocked an eyebrow at him.

“Why?” He looked sheepish and fiddled with the edge of his fingerless gloves.

“In case we decide to send you something…” My mouth nearly fell open, but I managed to hold it together.

“I really shouldn’t…You don’t have to send me anything.” His puppy dog eyes got more intense, making my brain turn to the equivalent of oatmeal. I sighed, not able to resist the gorgeous man’s request. “Here…” I typed it out really fast in a note and saved it as Maddie’s place. The grin I received in return was worth giving in. As they let me walk away, I prayed they would refrain from doing anything big. A shirt would be alright, but nothing extravagant. After all, I was nobody special. I just happened to know what to do and was the closet person to do it. Despite everything, the night had turned out alright.
♠ ♠ ♠
Two chapters in one sitting *gasps* How awesome! Comments are loved greatly!