Status: In Progress-sparatic updates

The Lace Masquerade

December 17, 2010-8:47 AM

I suggest you hunker down with some popcorn and a drink again...super long chapter!

December 17, 2010
8:47 AM
Location: School
Feeling-ready for finals to be OVER.

Riley got recruited! Like full ride, going to college recruited for Northwestern.

And, to make matters better, he and Zane are now an official couple. Holding hands in the hallways, kissing on the lips in front of everyone. It is, if I do say so myself, the most adorable thing ever.

Fiona leaves today for New York. Seniors are exempt for most of their exams so, when she said she was catching a 2 oclock flight, I wasn’t that surprised. I met up with Adam when I finally made it to school, and he was still pondering Wednesday’s events.

“That stinkbomb totally saved my ass,” Adam said with a painfull shrug at his locker. I nodded.

“Sure as hell did.”

“I still can’t figure out who set it off though! Whoever did, I owe them my life!” I smiled to myself, and then glanced over at the library, where I could clearly see Clare hiding from Mr. Simpson. I watched as Eli came around the corner of the bookcase, said something, and she jumped about a foot in the air. They talked for a minute, and Adam started putting things in his locker. “But, I mean, seriously. Eli was getting wailed on too.”

“Uh huh.” I spoke without thinking, and saw Mr. Simpson take a few steps forward. Eli, Clare trailing behind him looking like she was about to wet herself, walked up to him. And then I saw him say it. And I thank god that I can read lips for this. I watched him say I think you should question Mark Fitzgerald and Tyler Mayfield about the stink bomb. I felt my eyes widen, and I turned towards the locker as Mr. Simpson leaned forward, obviously intrigued. My heart dropped. It’s true, I’m still kind of mad at Fitz. But he’s my boyfriend, and I care about him. And I certainly don’t want him in more trouble because of something Clare and I did.

“Hollie, you okay?” Adam slammed his locker shut, and I turned back towards him, remembering he was with me.

“Oh yeah. Fine. I just…” I looked around, trying to find any angle that would give me a better view of what was going on. “I need a drink of water!” I said it a little too enthusiastically, but I still managed to convince him, and the water fountains had a good view through the door of the library. I sped walk towards it, and then, after grabbing a quick drink, I looked back up again to see Simpson walking away, and Clare and Eli exchanging sarcastic words. I looked at Clare, and saw her mouth Well what’d you have in mind?

“Hey, look! It’s Clare and-

And then it happened. Like no one was around, Eli leaned forward and pulled Clare’s lips towards his in a long, somewhat passionate kiss. Adam, next to me, gasped, and I let out a surprised laugh, covering my mouth and looking at Adam. He looked just as surprised as I felt. A few seconds later, Eli walked out, and the warning bell rang for next study period.

“Hey Hollie! French study time?” I looked back at Adam, and we both broke into fits of giggles.

An hour later, Eli and I sat in the quiet French room, looking over our books, but I wasn’t really studying.

“What did you say after?” I asked impatiently. I’d been interrogating him about his quite passionate interlude with Clare earlier in the Library, and he rolled his eyes again.

“Nothing!”

“I saw you say something!”

“Creeper!” he said with a laugh. “Seriously, it was nothing. I just said I had a French exam!”

“And what did she say?” He was quiet for a minute, and then smirked.

I think you just passed it.” I laughed pretty loudly, and covered my mouth again, trying not to disturb the other people studying.

“She did not.”

“She did! I swear!” He shakes his head. “I think you’re becoming a bad influence on our innocent little Clare.”

“And I’m damn proud of it, too!”

10:15 AM

As soon as I was finished with my French exam, I ran downstairs to catch up with Fiona before she left for New York. She’d texted me this morning, said she’d been exempt from her last bit of exams, and was heading out early for break with her mother. Holly J and I were just plugging in the neon signs when she walked in, fully prepared for her vacation.

“Viva Las Vegas!” Holly J said, going up to the counter. Fiona smiled.

“Guess I shouldn’t have left my sunglasses in my suitcase,” she said. I shook my head.

“I’ve got some right here!” I reached under the counter, and pulled out a pair of large, comedy sunglasses that Sav had hidden under there for later in the night. Holly J and Fiona both gave me a weird look, and as I put them back with a smile, I glanced at Fiona’s face. “Looks like you won’t be needing them to hide any champagne eyes!”

“I got through my deposition sober, I can get through anything.”

“And those anti-anxiety meds?” Holly J asked, leaning over.

“Are in my purse if I need them,” Fiona replied, pulling her bag further up on her shoulder. “My plane back to New York leaves soon, so if the judge is satisfied, the defendant requests some goodbye hugs?” I let out a laugh, but the two of us went around the corner, and Fiona pulled us into a big group hug.

“Why can’t you take Declan with you, Fi?” I asked with a sigh. “He’s going to make me dance with him all. freaking. night.” I gave a glance at Holly J, and she laughed. In the weeks since the bachelor auction, Declan had been pestering me to be his date to the winter dance. Luckily, Adam had saved me by asking me to be his date. But Declan had made me promise to save him a dance.

“He never misses a good party,” Fiona said with a shrug. “And if he starts harassing you, just shove him towards the woman he should be with.” She gave a pointed look at the red head next to me, and we all roll our eyes.

“I can’t believe you’re missing Vegas Night!” Holly J said, and the two have a small talk that includes Fiona giving her a bag, from which she pulls out the dark red cabaret costume that she wore to the NYU A Night in Vegas party. At one point, the two look at me as if saying they don’t want me in the conversation, and I put my hands up in defense, turning around and busying myself straightening a set of streamers.

“Before I go…” Fiona pulled me back into the conversation, and gives me another look. “I wanted to talk to you about this Fitz business.” I gave her a stressed look, and glanced at Holly J.

“Oh, come on, Hollie,” Holly J said with a laugh. “Fiona’s my best friend. You think she didn’t tell me about you and Fitz?” I rolled my eyes and thought for a minute. Holly J knowing wouldn’t be such a bad thing. In fact, it would probably be something good. Another girl to talk about it with.

“I really think you should be careful.” Fiona leans against the counter. “When I came in earlier to talk to Simpson about last week, Fitz was being pulled into the office with that loser friend of his, Tyler. I think they were questioning them about the stink bomb.” My eyes widened, and I slapped my hand to my forehead. I couldn’t believe Simpson had already pulled him in. I hadn’t even had a chance to warn him that someone might have told Simpson that.

“Yeah,” I said with a head shake. “I figured that would happen. I saw some people talking about it in the library this morning.” I looked at Fiona. “Don’t worry. Fitz doesn’t have anything to do with it.” I paused. “Well, much.”

11:30 AM

After saying goodbye to Fi, I met up with Alli and Jenna by their lockers, and talked about our collective Fashion Merchandizing exam coming up the next period. Alli started blubbering about running into Mrs. Torres, Drew and Adam’s mom, and I expressed my sympathies-she could be a bitch at times. And then, suddenly, there was a bang from behind us. I turned around just in time to see Fitz get extremely close to Eli, Tyler standing on the sidelines, watching with a smirk on his face.

“Just spent an hour in Simpson’s office. Someone told him we set off the stink bomb.”

“Me and my loose lips.” Before Eli could even finish talking, Fitz pulled him into a headlock.

“Not so lippy now are ya? What’s a guy gotta do to get you out of his grill?” I literally threw my stuff on the ground, and ran towards them, trying not to slip on my ballet flats, and put one hand on Eli’s back, the other on Fitz’s chest, trying to pry them apart. “What’re you…?” Fitz gave me a look, and we both looked over to see a teacher coming down the hall. Without hesitation, Fitz let go. “This isn’t over,” he said, looking at Eli, and then he walked away, glancing at me over his shoulder, Tyler trailing behind him. Clare walked up, looking concerned.

“Dude’s a menace,” Eli said with a disgusted look at the two of us. “Someone needs to teach him a lesson.”

Eli,” I chastised.

“Because that worked so well last time.” Clare gave Eli an exasperated look. “Can’t you two just kiss and make up?”

“He’s not really my type,” Eli said with a laugh. I gave them both a disgusted look, and the mental picture of Eli and Fitz kissing, I think, will now permanently be engrained in my head.

“I’m serious, Eli.” Clare’s voice sounded just as motherly as mine does.

“So am I,” I second.

“Someone is gonna get hurt!” Clare watched Eli grab something from his locker and close it.

“The only way to avoid a bully is to keep him scared.”

“Or,” I started.

Or,” Clare seconded. “You could lay low with your girlfriend?” After a second, Eli replied.

“Twist my rubber arm, girlfriend.”

“Awwww.” I looked at the two in admiration just as the bell rang, and Clare grabbed Eli’s hand, twisting it over her shoulder. I immediately felt like a third wheel, but I could honestly care less.

THEY’RE FINALLY TOGETHER!!!!!!

1:50 PM

After our Algebra II exam, Clare and I went straight to buy our tickets to the dance-the four of us had agreed that if the girls bought the tickets, the boys would spring for dinner at Chez Moi, the fancy French restaurant in town, afterwards. Of course, after telling Fitz, he’d begged me not to agree to go, so we could have some time together after, but I said I’d save some room for a midnight pig out (and/or makeout) session.

As we gave Brody, the guy behind the counter our money, and said four, someone came up behind us.

“Four tickets?” We both turned to see Fitz, standing with Tyler. Fitz looked at Clare. “Quite a gamble. That boy of yours might not make it to Vegas night.”

“Hurting Eli won’t solve anything, Fitz,” I said, crossing my arms.

“Dude set us up,” Tyler said with a snarl.

“Because he was trying to protect me,” Clare said lightly, and we followed them away from the table.

Us,” I corrected.

“I set up that diversion to stop you from fighting Adam.”

“With my help.” I leaned closer to her.

“You’re digging yourself a grave,” Clare said in a high voice.

“This is good to know,” Tyler said. The two of them started to walk away.

“So, you’ll leave Eli alone?” I watched Clare go up to Fitz. “I’ll come clean to Simpson-I’ll tell him you weren’t responsible. Anything.”

“Anything?” Fitz smirked, and a little red flag in the back of my mind popped up. I knew something was going on the second he said it. Clare glanced at me, and then back at Fitz with a confused look.

“That doesn’t involve breaking a commandment…”

“You two got plans for tonight?” He looked between us, and then at Tyler.

“Uh, kinda, yeah,” I said with an eyebrow raise. Fitz knew full well my plans with Adam.

“Break ‘em. Fitzy and Ty need dates to Vegas night.” Clare and I both managed to look at each other at the same time, the same wide eyes on our face. I turned back and gave Fitz an exhasperated look over Clare’s shoulder. Something between are you kidding me and what the fuck. “Or I put your little boyfriend in the hospital.” He looked straight at Clare, but I know he saw the glare I was giving him.

“Why me?” I ask, crossing my arms. “What do I have to do with this?”

“Can’t leave my man Tyler without a date, now can I?” Fitz swung his arm around Tyler’s shoulder. “We couldn’t find him a good enough girl.”

“Awh,” I started, fake pouting. “Poor Shrek couldn’t find anyone stupid enough to play Fiona?”

“Watch it,” Tyler snarled. I saw Clare let out a laugh next to me, and even though he was trying to keep a straight face, I saw Fitz’s mouth turn up at the sides a bit.

“If we go with you,” Clare started, “You’ll leave Eli and Adam alone?”

“As long as they stay out of our faces,” Fitz said with a headshake.

“Take it or leave it, ladies.” Tyler grinned at me as he spoke, and I felt a wave of nausea in my stomach.

“Okay.” I barely heard Clare, but she said it. She said okay.

Okay to ME going to the dance with TYLER. At least I know that Fitz won’t try anything with her. I can’t say the same for Tyler. And as the two of them walked away, I turned back to her and gave her a death glare.

“What the hell was that?” I asked as she flipped her tickets in her hands.

“I don’t know.” She looked down. “Maybe it’ll end this stupid feud. Maybe then Fitz and Tyler will finally see that Eli and Adam are good people. After everyone stops messing with each other.”

I couldn’t argue with that.

3:55 PM

Adam practically flew off the handle upon finding out about our evening plans.

“I can’t believe it. How could you date those bastards?” he said as the three of us, Clare, he and I, sat against our lockers, waiting for Eli to get out of his last exam.

“It’s one date,” Clare started. “To a school sanctioned event.”

“Yeah, I’m sure Eli snapped a gasket.” Clare and I looked at each other, and then back at Adam as she let out a deep breath. “Wait, you haven’t told him yet?” He looked like he was about to flip again.

“We will,” I said.

“As soon as he’s out of his history exam. We’re doing this for you guys. I’m doing this for him,” she said, shaking her head. “For us. He’ll understand.”

“And ignore that the girl he likes and one of his best friends are going to Vegas Night with his nemeses’?” He shook his head too. “Yeah, sounds just like him.” I crossed my arms and leaned against my locker, wanting to scream out to the world what was so wrong with this whole situation. And then, I saw a pair of dark army boots walking up to us.

“Okay,” Eli said, “please tell me an ostrich started World War I.” Clare and I looked at each other again, and she bit her lip. “Spit it out, Edwards, Peterson.”

“Well, you know,” she stuttered out, closing her book. “It’s funny that you should mention World War I.” She stood up clumsily. “Because, well, many say that the-the revenge en-enacted by the United Nations on Germany post-war was responsible for the outbreak of World War II.” Way to ramble, Edwards.

“What is she talking about?” He looked at Adam, and then at me.

“Clare and Hollie are going to Vegas Night with Fitz and Tyler.”

Adam!” Clare and I spoke at the same time, giving him the same dirty glare.

“What the fuck?” I said after we looked at each other. Eli’s eyes widened.

“It’s better to rip the bandage off,” Adam said, and then, like the bloody coward he is, he walked away. Just freaking walked away. Leaving me in the most awkward situation EVER. Eli let out a sarcastic laugh and looked at us.

“I’m waiting for the punch line.” Clare squirmed under his gaze.

“Fitz and Tyler promised to leave you alone if we went to Vegas Night with them,” she said, wringing her hands.

“And you said yes?”

“We want this stupid feud to be over,” I said, finally standing up with the aid of the locker behind me.

“And if we go with them tonight, it might actually happen.”

“I suppose crazier things have happened.” Clare glanced back at me, somewhat surprised by Eli’s reaction.

“So you’re not mad?”

“Just a little bit,” he said, leaning forward. Eli’s sudden change in demeanor scared me a little bit. I was kind of expecting a tantrum. Rage. Something. But for him to be this fine with it…something was up.

“Good.” Clare tilted her head and smiled, and I immediately felt awkward invading what looked to be a private moment between a couple.

“And I’ll be leaving now,” I said, leaning over and picking up my backpack.

“Wait!” Clare grabbed my arm. “We have an hour before we pick up Alli and Jenna,” she said, looking between us. “You guys wanna find Adam, and we can all go grab coffee?”

“Rain check?” Eli tilted his head like Clare had, and she nodded, giving him a sad smile.

“Sure.” He walked away, and Clare and I looked at each other, a smile spreading across our faces. “That went better than expected.”

“Yeah…” And I didn’t tell her what was festering in the back of my mind. “Listen, I gotta go to the restroom, and then pick up some DECA stuff from Ms. Andrews. Be at my car in ten?” She nodded, and I grabbed the rest of my stuff, heading to the bathroom around the corner. When I came out, I went down the hallway, looked to my left, and watched as Eli and Fitz talked in what looked to be heated words. Without thinking, I went towards the door and opened it just in time to hear Fitz speak.

“But don’t you worry,” he said, looking straight at Eli. “When we have sex, I’ll be gentle.” My eyes widened just as Fitz looked over Eli’s shoulder and saw me standing there. Something flashed in his eyes-what looked like embarrassment, maybe, and then he turned and walked away with his friends. Eli, too stunned or bothered to speak, leaned back against the railing on the side of the door, and I put my hand on his shoulder for a split second before looking at Fitz and his retreating gang. When Fitz glanced back and saw me still standing there, he and his posse turned around, looking at us. And I did the first think I could think of.

I flipped him off.

7:45 PM


Getting ready for the dance was exactly what I needed. Girl time. And I got to practice my stylist skills. I helped Jenna, Clare and Alli get ready, even before I did my own stuff. We got ready in the master bathroom, which had way more mirror and counter space than mine. My mom, who was chaperoning the dance with Mrs. Torres (my argument, which was actually as true as possible, to Alli, Jenna and Fitz was that she, being a Hollywood mom, would be a lot cooler with a LOT more stuff than most moms-the only thing she’d be preventing was any violence or cheating during the gambling bit of the night) was already ready, and was perched in the living room going over files for my dad before he came up for Christmas. Alli was in a hot pink bustier number, so I left parts of her hair hanging in her face and pulled the top into a big, fluffy ponytail with a tiara she brought from home. Clare was planning on wearing this God awful polka dot number that looked like something a sixth grader would wear on picture day. I forced her to go through my dresses until she found something that she was comfortable in, but didn’t look like she’d escaped from a convent. She finally settled on a dark green tank dress in a satin fabric, that looked kind of like Alli’s, but a little less ruched and pulled up. I let her do her hair like usual (much to my own dismay), and handed her a blue and green peacock headband that matched the dress.

At first I was confused as to why Jenna was there, but Clare explained that after KC had dumped her, much like he had Clare, they’d kind of bonded. So I put my questioning glances to the side and pulled her hair into a messy bun, which made her shoulders (and boobs) look great in her spaghetti strap dress. You could hardly tell she was pregnant.

I was the last of us to get ready. My dress was something I’d had for a while, and brought to Toronto on a last minute decision. It was short and spaghetti strapped but the cut on the top was high enough to where I looked more like Taylor Swift than a prostitute. The entire thing was covered in gold sequins that I found extremely appropriate for Vegas Night. Paired with black platform heels, a black boa, huge, wavy hair and smoky makeup, I was going to make Fitz extremely pissed off that he let Tyler take me.

I’d berated him about saying the sex thing, and he said he wouldn’t have said that had Eli not blamed the stink bomb on them and almost gotten them suspended. Over the phone, he’d apologized for fucking things up with Adam, and I thanked him, but reminded him that it wasn’t me he needed to apologize to. I texted him as we got ready, and he would not give me one freaking hint as to what he was wearing. Not that I gave him any idea what I was wearing.

Please?!?! Just tell me what color tie you’re wearing. ANYTHING.

Nope. :) You’ll have to see when you get there! Are you guys taking your car?

Yeah. Jenna’s meeting Anya at the dance and hanging with her, Alli’s with Drew, and then I guess Clare and I are with you guys all night. :/

Alli was putting on her gloves, talking about break. “Finally. Two weeks, no school. Just rest, relaxation.” Jenna interrupted her.

Come on. It won’t be that bad.

“And sneaking out of your bedroom to go on romantic dates with Drew.” Alli and I laughed, and I put on another coat of Chapstick., typing on my phone.

Says the guy who’s going with his girlfriend’s bestfriend.

“Could life be any more perfect?” Alli’s voice sounded dreamy, and in my head, I was screaming; YES, my head yelled.

My friends could NOT hate my boyfriend, I could be going to the dance with HIM, and, oh yeah, I could also not be part of this elaborate scheme to cover up the fact that we got two finals rescheduled inadvertently by setting off a stink bomb, which got blamed on MY BOYFRIEND. THAT NO ONE KNOWS ABOUT.

“Depends,” Jenna started, looking in the mirror. “How pregnant do I look?” Alli and I exchanged a glance, and I grabbed a white boa I bought at the craft store last night.

“It’s nothing this boa can’t hide,” I said, walking up and putting it over Jenna’s shoulders. “Distraction is the biggest part of perfection.” My phone buzzed again.

You’re the one who wanted to be as UNOBVIOUS as possible. Sorry for playing by YOUR rules.

You know that’s only for-

I stopped mid reply. This was getting heated, and I hate fighting over the phone.

I’m sorry. I’ll talk to you later tonight.<3

“It’s so unfair,” she responded, pulling the ends of the boa over her stomach. “KC helped me make this baby, and I’m stuck dealing with it.” Alli walked up next to us and smiled.

“Don’t worry. Once you win Next Teen Star, you’ll be able to take care of the baby without him.” Clare came out of my mothers room in her dress, and both Jenna and Alli looked astonished.

“No more convent!” Jenna cried, running to hug Clare. She let out an uncomfortable laugh.

“I don’t want to give Fitz the wrong idea about tonight,” she said, crossing her arms. I reached out and uncrossed them.

“He won’t!” I said with a laugh. “Don’t worry! I had a little chat with him after school, and he’s fully aware that if either of them pull a move, my Louboutin’s are going to leave a more permanent mark this time.” I lifted my foot. “Like maybe a fracture.” All three of them laughed.

“Okay, help me out here,” Jenna said, looking confused. She pointed to Clare. “I thought you liked Eli.” And then gestured to me. “And who are you going with?”

“Tyler Mayfield,” I replied with a snarl. Jenna made a face back.

“Ew, why?” I let out a laugh and looked to Clare for help.

“I do like Eli,” she explained, leaning against the counter. I smiled at the words.

“But you’re going to Vegas night with Fitz?” Clare threw me a helpless look, and I put my hands up, leaning next to her on the vanity.

“Hey, you’re the one that got us into this mess.” She glared at me, and then looked down, like she was trying to figure out what to say.

“Fitz damaged Eli’s car, so Eli tricked Fitz into getting arrested.”

“Then he hit on me,” I cut in, “so Eli and Adam pantsed him in the hallway.”

“Then Fitz and Tyler tried to fight Adam,” Clare continued, “so I set off the stinkbomb-

We set off the stinkbomb. It was my idea too.”

“So we set off the stinkbomb.” She rolled her eyes. “Which he and Tyler got blamed for.”

“So to stop them from fighting slash killing Eli or Adam, Clare volunteered us to go to the dance with them.”

“Volunteered isn’t really the right word,” Clare said with an eyeroll.

“What would you have preferred?” I crossed my arms. “Signed up? Offered on a silver platter?

“Is it clearer?” Clare ignored my last comment (probably a good thing), and Jenna gave us a look that clearly said she thought we were off our rockers.

“Crystal,” she said with a laugh.

“Uhm, question,” Alli said, her eyes widening. “When did your life become West Side Story?”

“When I became a part of it.” I laughed and slung my arm around Clare’s shoulder. She grinned.

“We just need to get through tonight, then maybe Eli and I can go on a real date.” She paused. “If he’s over his dead ex girlfriend.” Obviously, Clare had failed to mention Julia to either of them before, because both of them gave us looks again that made me feel like I should be admitted into a psych ward. My phone went off a second later.

Come downstairs. ;)

My eyes widened at Fitz’s message. “Uh, guys. I’ll be back in a second. I just have go to grab…” I looked around, trying to think of something I was missing. “A purse.” And with that, I ran (yes, ran, in pumps no less-the things you learn to do in an action/romance movie) downstairs. Sure enough, Fitz was sitting on the couch, the window by the kitchenette sitting wide open. I gasped when I saw him. He looked…great. In black slouchy skinny jeans, a black tee, black blazer and black skater (ish) shoes, he almost looked like Eli. His reaction when he saw me was priceless. Dropped jaw, wide eyes, the whole bit.

“What’re you trying to do?” he asked, pulling me towards him. “Encourage Tyler to try something?” I laughed and put my hands on his chest, and he wrapped his arms around my waist. The doorbell rang up above us, and I heard Eli talking through the window and the open door. He asked where I was, and when Clare said I was downstairs, there were two sets of footsteps leaving the house, and the front door closed.

“The plan was to make you jealous-you are, after all, the one forcing me to go with him.”

“I’m not forcing you to do anything!” he said a little bit loudly. My eyes widened and my hand moved to cover his mouth. He stuck out his tongue, and I laughed, making a face.

“Hush! The girls are upstairs-Eli and Clare are…” My eyes went wide again, and without saying anything, I separated from him and moved over to the kitchenette, kicking off my heels. Fitz had figured out what I was going to do, and helped me up onto the counter, following, and both of us stuck our heads out the window.

“What the hell is she wearing?” Fitz asked, his eyes glancing between Clare and Eli. I narrowed my eyes at him.

My dress.” He shut up.

“Don’t be naïve,” Eli said. They stood feet apart in front of Morty, and at this angle, I could just make out something in Eli’s hand. “Fitz is a bad guy. He wants to have sex with you. And who knows what Tyler may try with Hollie.” Without looking away, I slapped Fitz on the chest. He made a little guaff, and my hand covered his mouth. He shook against it, and stuck out his tongue again. Point taken.

“Oh, then you’re right. The appropriate response is to poison them.” Yeah. Seriously. That’s what she said. Poison. Fitz and I both looked at each other, the same horrified look on our faces. When we turned back, Eli was talking again.

“I told you, this is how you control bullies; keep them scared.”

“Do you know who also uses those tactics?” Clare asked, crossing her arms tighter.

“Terrorists,” I muttered under my breath.

“Terrorists,” Clare said. I smiled to myself. Great minds think alike! Eli laughed sarcastically.

“I don’t understand-who’s side are you on?”

“I’m not sure,” Clare replied, looking down. “But I know it’s not the side that poisons people.” With that, Clare walked inside, leaving Eli standing by the car. I turned back around, and slid off the counter, picking my phone up and dialing it as quick as possible.

“What’re you doing?” Fitz asked, climbing off the ledge and back onto the floor. I made a quiet sign with my hand, and a voice on the other end picked up.

“Adam, don’t ask any questions, just listen and answer. You were with Eli after school today, right?”

“Yeah,” he replied hesitantly.

“Did say he was going to do something to Fitz and Tyler at the dance tonight? Have Clare and I do something?”

“Hollie, I-

“Adam, I’m being completely serious. I was downstairs, and I just heard the backend of the conversation, and right now it sounds pretty bad. The only thing I heard was poison, Fitz and Tyler, and then a side debate between Eli and Clare.”

“It’s just ipecac, Hollie.” I felt my eyes widen as I pulled the phone away from my ear and pressed the end button.

“Ipecac,” I repeated, slumping against the counter. Fitz’s eyes went as wide as mine.

Ipecac? As in the syrup?” I nodded, my hand resting lightly on my forehead. “He wants to poison us with ipecac?”

“I think he wants us to,” I said, shaking my head. “Me and Clare. That’s why he asked where I was.”

“Well you’re not going to, right?” I gave him my worst look that plainly said no, and he pressed. “To Tyler either?” I pursed my lips. I honestly wouldn’t be completely objected to watching Tyler puke his guts out. But I shook my head no anyways, for the sake of my relationship. He smiled, and pulled me back to him as he leaned against the counter. I hadn’t noticed that I was shaking until then. “Don’t worry,” he said, rubbing my back. “It’s gonna be fine.” I looked up at him, and then closed my eyes, leaning against his chest. We stood there, quiet for a minute. “You aren’t still mad at me, are you? I’m asking that you go with Tyler to play by your rules. I don’t agree with them, but I’m going by them for you.” I smiled up at him, and then leaned back, closing my eyes again.

“I know. And no, I’m not mad. I just wish you would have consulted me before-

Hollie?!” Clare’s voice called from upstairs, and my eyes flew open. I shoved away from Fitz, and pushed him against the back wall of the kitchenette.

“Hide!” I whisper-screamed, and then grabbed my shoes and ran towards my bedroom. Just as Clare finished descending the stares, I was walking out of the room with my black sparkly clutch, my shoes back on. “Oh, hey. Was that Eli at the door?”

8:52 PM

The four of us rode together in my car. My mom drove behind us, and we all parked separate, walking in at different times. As we walked out the door to my house, I’d gotten the Fuck, did I leave my keys at your house? text that came every once in a while. If he walked over, he often brought his keys and accidentally left them on my counter or bedside table. But two minutes later, I got a Nevermind, found them in my inside pocket. It took us all of five minutes to get to school, with my driving barefoot since Louboutins are a bit hard to operate in a car. As the three of us walked into school, my phone buzzed.

We’re here-@ my locker.

“They’re here,” I said as we walked in. Drew was waiting for Alli at the benches, and the two of them walked away as Clare gave me a look. My mother walked in behind us, and greeted Mrs. Torres at the door.

“How do you know?” I lifted up my phone. “Why do they have your number?” I momentarily panicked at my second of stupidity.

“Fitz does-from when we all worked on that project, remember?” She flashed recognition, and then nodded.

“Oh, yeah, okay.” She looked around. “I guess we should go find them?” I nodded back.

“Do you want me to go with you?” Jenna asked quietly, and looked at the door to the dance. I took pity on her.

“It’s fine, doll. Just go find Anya and Chantay.” She flashed us a pearly smile, and then turned around with a quiet “good luck!” Clare and I listened to the bustle going on inside the gym as we walked down the hallway.

“Welcome to A Night in Vegas, where, with a little bit of luck, anything could happen!” Holly J’s voice was still audible in the dark hallways with the lockers, and as we rounded the corner I spotted Fitz and Tyler standing by Fitz’s open locker. They seemed to be in an animate conversation, and didn’t notice as Clare and I walked up, giving one final pleading glance at each other.

“Are those corsages for us?” Clare asked, and Fitz was the first to break out of their conversation, looking at us in surprise.

“Uh, yeah,” he started, and his eye did this cute little twitch thing. I grinned as Tyler held one out to me. “My mom made us bring them…she got them this afternoon when she found out we had dates.” I laughed and slid mine on as Clare took hers from Fitz.

“I like it, but I’m not going to have sex with you.” Fitz and Tyler’s eyes both widened, and I bit my lip to keep from laughing at their faces.

“Whoa!” Fitz said, his face scrunching up. “Where did that come from?”

“I know what you told Eli,” she said with a shrug. I leaned over to Tyler, but I spoke loud enough to where the others could hear.

“You ‘aint gettin any either, buddy.” I crossed my arms, and both Fitz and Clare laughed. Tyler looked genuinely disappointed.

“Clare,” Fitz started, glancing at me. “In theory, all guys want to hook up with a cute girl like you. It’s like Chemistry.” He gave me a smile.

“Biology,” Clare corrected, and I couldn’t help but laugh. I think I knew where he was going with that one, but we were the only two that got it.

“Whatever,” he said with a smile. “I wouldn’t try anything on you. Unless you want me to…” He looked at me again, and my eyes went wide with mock horror. I was still trying not to crack up.

“In theory,” Clare started.

“Not a chance.” I gave Fitz a rueful smile as I spoke, and Clare gave me a playful one as she tucked a curl behind her ear. Fitz laughed, flexing his jaw in the most adorable way possible.

“Betcha Eli overeacted,” Tyler said, punching Fitz lightly in the arm. I threw him a slight glare for joking about all of this. If only he knew what we were doing to keep him from spilling his literal guts all over the casino floor. Clare gave me a half ass version of the conversation she’d had with Eli earlier, and I faked horror, like I hadn’t already heard everything.

“Kinda.” Clare shook her head.

“You have no idea.” I rolled my eyes and shifted on my feet.

“Wouldn’t it just be easier if you guys all got along?” Clare asked, looking up at both of them.

“One would think,” Fitz said, “but the last time I tried to end this fued your little boyfriend got me arrested.”

“Would an apology still work to end it?” Clare wrung her hands in front of her.

“Sure, but good luck getting it.” Fitz closed his locker, locked it up, and then gestured for all of us to start walking down the hallway. “You two look great, since I haven’t already mentioned.” I got in line walking down the hallway between Clare and Tyler, with Fitz on the other side of Clare. I smiled at him as we walked.

“Yeah, totally smokin’.” All three of us gave Tyler a look with raised eyebrows, and I rolled my eyes as his seemed to look ever bit of my body over. I fought a shiver. When we got to the door, Fitz rested his hand on Clare’s upper arm, a sign that they were going together when they walked in. I watched as eyes widened, jaws dropped, and two boys at the Craps table glared maliciously at them. Tyler, of course, chose to not grab my arm, but instead my lower back. As we walked in and got the same reaction, I leaned into him and smiled as grittily as possible while talking.

“Your hand goes any lower and I cut it off.” I immediately felt it move up to my waste, and we followed Clare and Fitz as they sat down at one of the Poker tables. Two tables away, I saw Adam moving to sit at a Blackjack table. I nudged Clare as I sat down, and gestured in the direction of the table. Bianca was playing there too, and Drew was talking to her. As Tyler got into the poker game next to me, Fitz, Clare and I watched as Alli walked up and started bitching at Bianca. A few short seconds later, Bianca stood up, saying something to Drew, and left the two of them bickering. Finally, Alli gave Drew a disgusted look and stormed away crying. Clare and I both glanced at each other, horrified by what was going on. Fitz leaned forward, his head between his hands.

“I can’t believe she actually did it,” he said, shaking his head. Both of us looked at him, interested.

“Did what?” Clare asked. Tyler, though somewhat absorbed by the Poker game, spoke.

“Bianca was talking about hooking up with Drew after our physics exam today.” My eyes widened, and I looked back at Fitz. He nodded. “We didn’t know if she’d actually do it or not.”

“I guess she did,” Fitz said with another head shake. Clare hopped off her stool and looked at him.

“Look, I’m really sorry, but Alli’s one of my best friends and-

“It’s fine,” he said with a laugh. “I totally get it. Go. Just make sure you come back when she’s okay.” He winked at her in a playful, friendly way and she smiled, grabbing her bag off the counter and speed walking in the direction Alli had gone. When she was out of sight, I turned to Fitz.

“That was really nice.”

“It’s been known to happen,” he said with a laugh. I shook my head, and turned back to watch Tyler play Poker. I suck at gambling, otherwise I would have been a part of the game. A few minutes later, the song changed, and I recognized it as something off the mix I gave Sav last week. Shark in the Water by VV Brown.

“I love this song,” I said with a sigh, and opened up my purse, pulling out my Chapstick. I saw Fitz watching me out of the corner of my eyes.

“You wanna, um,” he started, and gestured to the dance floor awkwardly. I laughed and hopped off the stool, asking Chantay, who was running the table, if I could ditch my purse and boa with her. She let me, and I turned back around, smiling, and followed Fitz to the small dance floor. Without hesitation, I started dancing to the beat, my foot tapping up and down as my hands went over my head. Fitz, despite the fact that he’d suggested it, stood relatively still, watching me with a blush.

“Oh, come on. You wanted to come out here!” I grabbed his arms and shook them back and forth trying to get him to move. “Why’d you suggest it if you don’t wanna?” He leaned forward, grinning, and talked in my ear.

“Because I know you love to dance.” Finally, he managed to get ahold of the beat of the next song, Toxic by BSpears, and I looked around for signs of Clare. I spotted her talking to Adam at a Craps table, and gave her a look to hurry up. Tyler came and joined us on the next song, and I pushed off his attempts to get closer to me on the dance floor. Once Clare got in the group again, I pulled her close and danced with her; I was more comfortable looking like a lesbian with my best friend than dancing with Tyler. That says something in and of itself. But despite my blantant ignoring of his come ons, Tyler did not take a hint. He kept moving closer and closer behind me, attempting to grind on me. I wanted to scream out at him, but kept myself from actually doing it. Fitz, however, also noticed, and kept coming around and dancing with me to keep him away. Had it not been so amusing, I probably would have stopped him for fear of people wondering what he was doing, but no one seemed to notice.

The last straw came when Low played. I was trying to teach Clare how to go low (we’d long since abandoned our heels on the side of the dance floor), and Tyler kept coming up behind me. When the last chorus came on, I felt his arm on my hip, and he tried to pull me back to him. Finally, I stood up, ripping away from him and into Fitz.

“What the fuck,” I said, moving away from Fitz and towards Clare. “I told you, Tyler. Don’t touch me.” He rolled his eyes and moved towards me.

“Oh, come on, you know you wanna get cozy with me.” My eyes widened, and I pressed into Clare’s side.

“No, I don’t.” Fitz stepped forward, grabbing Tyler’s arm.

“Ty, man, cut it out. She doesn’t like you like that.” Tyler shook his hand off and looked at him.

“And how would you know that?” He nodded his chin in my direction, an appraising look in his eyes. “She’s just playing hard to get.”

“No, she’s not.” Fitz grabbed his arm, and Tyler shook it off again, shoving Fitz out of the way with his hands.

“Back off, man.” When he tried to step forward, Fitz sidestepped in front of him.

“Stay the hell away from me, asshole, and take a fucking hint.” Tyler’s eyes widened, and something in them changed. He looked…angry.

“What did you just say to me, you little bitch?” He started walking towards me again, and Fitz grabbed him one last time, trying to stop him. Tyler turned back around, and before anyone could do anything, he took a swing at Fitz’s face. Fitz staggered back, clutching his nose, and suddenly a rush of adults came towards us, pulling Tyler back. I hadn’t noticed till then how many people were watching-there was a small ring around us, large crowds on either side. My mother was one of the first adults in, and a strong, buff guy restrained Tyler.

“Hollie!” she cried, her hand on my shoulder. “Is everything okay?” I nodded silently.

“What happened here?” Mrs. Torres walked up, her arms crossed. “Clare?” she looked at the girl behind me, who slipped an arm through mine.

“Tyler was hitting on Hollie and she kept saying to stop. He wouldn’t, so Fitz asked him to. Tyler was the one that got physical.” Mrs. Torres looked at me.

“Is that true?” I nodded again, and she turned around. “Take him out.” Two men escorted Tyler out, and he glanced back at us, a glare in his eyes. As soon as he was out of sight, I broke out of Clare and my mother’s grasps and stepped towards Fitz, my hand reaching out and lifting his face with my hand under his chin.

“Are you okay?” He nodded, still holding his nose.

“I forgot how mean of a punch he throws,” he said, and then moved his hand. Blood was trailing down his upped lip and into his mouth. My eyes widened. “What?” My mother stepped forward, pulling me back and going towards Fitz.

“Come on, we’ll get you cleaned up, Mark.” He gave her a confused glance. “You’re bleeding?” His eyes widened and he looked at his hand for the first time-it was spattered with red. “Let’s go.” She ushered him out, and the crowd around us dispersed. My first instinct was to follow him; to make sure everything was okay. But I couldn’t. I turned around, my hand moving to my forehead as Jenna rushed up, looking worried.

“What just happened?” she asked, her eyes wide.

“Tyler kept coming onto Hollie. Fitz tried to stop him and got punched in the face.” Her eyes went even wider, and I covered my mouth and nose, shaking my head.

“I can’t believe he just did that.”

“Who? Fitz or Tyler?” Clare put a hand on my back. “Because right now, both of them are equally as shocking to me.”

“Well, both, I guess.” I looked around for any sign of my mother, and when I couldn’t find them, I turned back to Clare and Jenna, eager to make any excuse to go check on Fitz. “Can we go to the bathroom?” I asked, taking a step back towards the door. “I kind of feel sick.” Clare nodded, and followed me to the bathroom by our locker bank after grabbing our shoes from the side of the dance floor. I pulled my phone out as we walked, and sent a text to Fitz.

Where are you? Are you okay?

When we got into the bathroom, I stood in front of the mirrors, trying to catch my breath. That was the first time any guy had tried that in a long time. I looked down at what I was wearing, and sent a mental note to myself to never try to make Fitz jealous again. My phone buzzed on the counter.

Nurses office. Your mom left me in here to get cleaned up.

“Uh, Guys,” I started, heading towards the door. Both of them were still in stalls. “I’m gonna go get some water-maybe that’ll help. I’ll meet you back in the gym.”

“Kay!” Jenna called, but I was already out the door. When I rounded the corner, Fitz was sitting alone in the semi dark, glass-surrounded nurses office, holding a tissue to his nose.

“Holy crap,” I said as I walked in, immediately rushing to his side. “Are you okay?” He nodded, pulling the tissue away. No blood gushed out.

“I think so. It stopped bleeding.” He threw it in the trash can, and jumped off the table, grabbing a few paper towels from the dispenser. “Better get cleaned up-I’ve gotta get back to my date.” He gave me a sarcastic smile, and I took the tissues from his hand, pointing to the table.

“Sit back down,” I said. He didn’t argue, and I walked over to the sink, turning it on and getting the paper towels wet enough to wash the blood off. I turned back and went to him, kicking off my heels and hopping up onto the table next to him. I went to work cleaning.

“I shouldn’t have let Tyler take you,” he said quietly. He was looking at me the entire time, trying to make eye contact. “I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be.” I set the first towel down beside me, and tried to clean up some of the blood that’d trickled down his chin. “I understand why you did it-you did it for me. So no one would suspect anything.” I let out a sigh, moving one my hands to his face to hold it while I tried to get a spot off one bit of his chin.

“I just wish we didn’t have to do that.” There was no more blood on his face.

“I do too.” I picked up his hand-the one he’d grabbed his nose with at first-and tried to get some of the blood out of the crevices. “But-

“But!” He laughed sarcastically. “I know, I know. But your friends.” He shook his head. “Your friend Eli is the one that insists on keeping this going. I’d be fine and dandy if this entire thing just stopped. Hell, Eli seems like a pretty cool dude. And Adam and I have already established that we can be friends. He even knows how to throw a punch.” I let out a laugh. “This whole thing is just a huge mess that needs to end.”

“You’re right,” I said, jumping up and grabbing some antibacterial wipes from the counter, sitting back down. “It all does need to end. But that doesn’t mean that you can handle-

“Doe, you know I can handle what comes with being in a relationship with you.” I wiped his hand off with the wipes, and then picked up all the paper towels with one, wiping down the table. “All that stuff you were worried about-the paparazzi, the weirdos. I’m willing to deal with all of that.” I moved to get off the table, but he stopped me, his eyes boring into my own. Despite the fact that I’d just spent five minutes cleaning blood off the guy, there was something ridiculously sexy about the way he looked in that blazer. So when he leaned forward, capturing my lips with his, I had no objections. I let go of the tissues in my hand, and his trailed up my arm, sending a shiver down my spine. I felt him smile into the kiss, and my hand moved to the back of his neck, the other resting on his arm, his finding its way into my hair. He pulled me closer to him, deepening the kiss, and then without any objections from me, leaned me back on the table. He wasn’t pushing on me or anything, and despite the fact that the vinyl of the table was sticking to my back, I felt completely comfortable covered by Fitz. He pulled back and I opened my eyes, suddenly worried that I had a double chin in this position. But he grinned down at me, pushing a curl behind my ear, and I smiled back at him, my hand on his neck coming forward to stroke across his cheek.

And then I heard the footsteps. Just barely, but they were there. I sat up, not even thinking about the fact that our heads were inches apart. Our foreheads banged together with a painful conk, and we both grabbed them with our hands.

“Ow! What the hell-

“Shh! Someone’s coming!” I stood up, still grasping my head, and walked over to the sink, pretending to busy myself with the dirty towels I’d grabbed off the table.

“I left him in here-Clare said she saw Hollie go this way too.” It was Mrs. Torres’ voice, I recognized that much. The door clicked open, and I turned to see her and Mr. Simpson standing in the doorway. “Ah, I was right.”

“Ms. Peterson,” Mr. Simpson started, looking extremely confused. “What are you doing in here?”

“Trying to get Mark cleaned up,” I replied, rolling my eyes in the most nonchalant way possible. “I think his mother would kill both of us if he got blood on that blazer because of me.”

“We’re neighbors,” Fitz explained to Simpson’s confused look, and I realized I was babbling. We explained, in short, what’d happened with Tyler on the dance floor, and Simpson seemed to be relatively satiated.

“You can understand why I would have a hard time just believing you, Mark,” he said with a pointed look at Fitz. “But Ms. Peterson here has a good track record, and her friends are all telling the same story.” Simpson gave Fitz a clap on the shoulder. “But what you did was brave, and I’m glad you didn’t fight back.”

“There wasn’t really much to fight about. We were right, he was wrong. He punched me. End of.” I let out a little laugh at his explanation, and leaned against the counter next to the sink.

“Well, Tyler’s been escorted from the building, and come Monday he’ll be suspended, at least for a day or two. But just in case, a police officer has been asked to patrol around, just checking for things. For now, though, try to enjoy the dance.” With a wave, he walked out, and Ms. Torres looked at the two of us, a small smug smile on her face. Sure, she loved me, but she hated Fitz. With good reason, too-he’d thrown one of her sons through a window and beaten the other one up. But then she turned and smiled at me, walking out, the door closing behind her. We were alone again, and the static in the air was practically tangible. I hopped up onto the counter, and could feel Fitz look at me from across the room, and heard him stand up. I studied my nails in my lap, picking at excess polish on my middle finger, until his hand covered mine, the other forcing my chin up, to look him in the eyes.

“What do you want to do?” I opened my mouth to speak, my face in what I think was a consternate expression, so he cut me off. “No, what do you want to do? What do you want, not what do you think would be the least drama or the best PR move.” I pursed my lips, and his thumb stroked my cheek again. I felt myself melt in his touch, immediately breathing out heavily.

“I…” I closed my eyes for a split second, playing over everything in my head. He wanted to let people know. He wanted to tell everyone about us, that we were dating. “I don’t know.” Suddenly, he ripped away from me, angry.

“Don’t say that!” he half screamed, throwing his arms up in exasperation and pacing a few steps away. “Don’t say you don’t know. Because everyone has their opinions. I know, you’ve spent the last fifteen years trying to hide your emotions from the public for fear of judgment, believe me, Hollie, I understand more than you think. But can’t you tell everyone that you’re happy? Can’t you let your friends see that you’re excited?” He looked back at me then, his eyes blazing.

“Fitz, do you think I want to keep this a secret?” I hopped off the counter walking up to him and poking him in the chest, like I had the first time I’d met him. “We’ve been over this time and time again. What else is there to do? If I were to tell Eli and Clare and Adam that I’ve been seeing you all this time, it would break them. Eli especially. Because not only have I been lying about dating someone, but I’m dating you. The reason this entire semester has been so batshit crazy for them. And until they see you the way I see you, the reason I like you so much, they won’t accept you. They won’t be okay with us.”

“So what does that mean?” His eyes went dark, and he bit his lip. “What does that mean for us, Hollie? Because I’m pretty sure I just took a punch for you in there.” He gestured to the door. “I took a punch because I was willing to protect you, in public, for all your friends to see. For all my friends to see. Hell, it was my friend who punched me. So what’s left to deal with? I’m pretty sure that’s a good indicator that something is going on with us.”

“I don’t know!” I yelled, and I turned from Fitz, hot tears streaming at my eyes. “Fitz, I can’t put you through that. I can barely stand putting Eli and Clare and Adam through the Paparazzo stuff. Fiona and I, we’re used to it. But the three of them, they’re not.”

“And look how much they’ve got going on in their lives!” Fitz said, coming around to face me. “Clare’s parents are fighting all the time. Eli has a dead ex girlfriend. And Adam has a hard enough time as it is. And yet, somehow, they’re managing to deal with the drama that comes with you. So what makes you think that I can’t?” I didn’t know what else to say then, but in that moment, I knew what I had to do. And I think he knew what I was thinking, that I’d figured everything else out, because the next second, he was pushing me up against a wall, almost so forcefully that I fell against it, his lips pressing into mine. And that’s all I wanted. Reassurance that no matter what we dealt with, no matter what hit us, we could get through it.

Fitz’s hands slid up and down my sides, sending shivers down my spine while I grasped at the back of his neck. When standing wasn’t an option for me anymore, his hands settled behind my thighs and he picked me up, my legs wrapping around him. He walked towards the counter I’d been sitting on and put me back down, hands roving, lips moving down my neck and assaulting my collarbone. I leaned back, giving him easier access, and all other thoughts fell out of my head. Thoughts of Clare and Eli, of Adam and Tyler, of my mother and Marcie and all the other people whose useless drama was filling up my brainspace, all dropped away. And the only thing I could think of at that moment was this stupidly adorable, amazing guy in front of me.

He hit my sweetspot a second later, and I felt myself buck against his hips, to which he responded with a growl into my neck, only fueling his fire as he pushed the strap of my dress down, and I bent my head over, letting a whimper out against his hair. My fingers clawed at his shoulders, our hips grinding together, the only sounds in the room being our heavy breathing and the low base of the music blasting from the gym. My hands found their way to his collar, and I shoved off his coat, bringing his head back up and nibbling at his lip as I pulled at the hem of his shirt. When he pulled it over his head, his muscles in both his arms and his abs flexing, I pondered over how lucky I was to have a both attractive and useful boyfriend, who knew exactly how to turn me on. Fitz grinned at the small smirk I’m sure was playing at my own lips, and pushed down the other side of my dress, revealing the black balconette bra I was wearing underneath, specifically because I figured he’d be seeing it by the end of the night. I traced the outline of his shoulders with my nails as he kissed my neck again, and felt his thighs tighten when I ran my hand down his chest.

You show the lights that stop me turn to stone, you shine them when I’m alone. And so I-

I felt Fitz freeze against my chest, his hand beneath the strap of my bra, and he let out a frustrated sigh. I smiled, running my hand through his hair and kissing his forehead before pushing him away and jumping up to answer my phone.

“Hollie?” Clare yelled over the music. “WHERE ARE YOU? DECLAN IS LOOKING FOR YOU. HE WANTS A DANCE.” I rolled my eyes, looking back at Fitz as he located his shirt and slid it over his head. Part of me was extremely sad he had to hide that six pack of his all night.

“I’ll be there in a minute,” I said, pulling up the straps of my dress with one hand and using the mirror above the sink to adjust my sex hair. “I was just outside making a call to Sasha. Something about awards.” Clare laughed on the other line, and then said to hurry up, ending the call. I turned back around, and Fitz was dressed again, his hair slightly mussed, lips and cheeks bright red.

“That was unexpected,” he lamented with a laugh, and I smiled, sauntering up to him and letting him wrap his arms around me. “Unexpected, but good.”

“Not good,” I corrected. “Great.” I looked up at him, and took a deep breath before I spoke. “I’ll tell them. I’ll tell them tonight, over dinner. I don’t care what they do. Because I shouldn’t have to hide this from everyone. You make me too happy to do that to either of us. I want to share it.” And that seemed to make him incredibly, incredibly happy.

11:29 PM

My hands are shaking. My eyes are watering. And right now, I don’t even know where to start.

I guess, after we left the nurses office, right?

I left first, as to not arouse suspicion if we both showed up at the exact same time, looking that disheveled. But Declan grabbed my hand as soon as we walked through the door, twirling me out and then back into his chest to the sound of some adorable song Sav was singing to a fawning Holly J on stage. “You promised me a dance, remember?” That I had. So I leaned against his chest and let him move me around the dance floor while looking over his shoulder. Fitz walked in a few moments later, and when he saw me dancing with Declan, his eyes narrowed. Behind Declan’s back, I put my hands together, forming a small heart with my fingers, and he smiled, descreatly returing the favor. He glanced to the side, raising his eyebrows, then looking at me and gesturing to where he’d glanced. I followed his line of vision and saw Clare and Eli at a table looking like they were fighting. “So is your night going well?” he asked, and I let out a laugh. “I saw the fight earlier. I assume this was all some elaborate scheme to cover up you and Fitzy Boy?”

“Don’t you start calling him that too,” I said, and watched Clare pat Eli’s hand and then walk over to Fitz. They spoke for a second, and when Fitz nodded at me, Clare turned around, gesturing for me to follow them as she grabbed him by the arm and dragged him towards Eli’s table. “And it looks like this whole thing is about to get fixed,” I said, parting from Declan’s chest as the song ended and Sav stepped off stage. “Will you excuse me?” He gave me a sad nod, kissed my hand (I blushed), and I teetered over to where the three of them were standing.

“Okay, we’re here,” Clare started. “All set for the apology.”

“The what?” I said, startled. Aparently, I’d missed something. Eli gave a smug look.

“You know, in some places this would be considered blackmail.”

“Eli!” I sputtered, laughing, slowly catching onto what was going on. Eli was supposed to apologize to Fitz.

“Stop procrastinating,” Clare chastised, giving him a hard look.

“Yeah, Eli, do what the lady says.” I quietly stepped on Fitz’s toe with my heel, and saw him squint just the tiniest bit as the two glared at each other. Eli, trying to avoid doing the inevitable, looked at Clare, who gave him the same I’m waiting look that I did.

“I’m sorry,” he finally said in a pissy tone. “For everything.”

“That’s not gonna do.” Clare and I both turned to Fitz, and I almost growled. “You said the words, but I didn’t feel them.” My hand swatted out, slapping him across the chest.

“You feel that?” Clare and Eli both laughed, and Fitz glared at me.

“Okay, enough!” Clare looked up at him. “Fitz, you got your apology. Now shake hands!” She gestured between the two of them.

“Or,” Eli started. “We could toast to a cease fire.” My eyes widened, and immediately Fitz and I shared a glance. I gave a stressed look at Clare, who returned it just as enthusiastically, and the three of us looked at Eli. Hesitantly, Fitz took the drink Eli handed him, and they clinked cups.

“Wait!” I said.

“Stop!” Clare called, just as the two of them were about to drink. “Trade cups.” The three of us looked at her, confused. “It’s an ancient Roman custom.” I held my hand to my mouth to keep from smiling at her genius, and Eli shrugged.

“She’s the boss.” They traded cups. “L’Chaim!” he said, and they both took long sips of their drinks. The second Eli looked over his cup with that smug smile again, I knew something was wrong.

“Oh, God, Eli, you-

But I didn’t get to finish my sentence. Because right there, in front of everyone, Mark Fitzgerald puked on my shoes. Yes. He puked. On my shoes. My $3,000 black patent Louboutin’s. I let out a shriek, and then looked wide eyed at Eli. “What the Fuck?” I screeched at him. Clare glared daggars, and Fitz stood up, his hand over his mouth, and with a seething glance at Eli, ran out. The entire group of people around us was staring, and I slipped out of my shoes, picking them up and looking at Eli.

“What did you do?” Clare asked, looking down at my ruined shoes and then back up at Eli.

“You’re the one who made us switch.”

“Oh don’t you dare try to blame this on her,” I cut in, almost hitting him with my puke covered shoes.

“Whatever Fitz does to you, you deserve it.” I nodded, and as she backed up to leave, I picked up the cup of what Fitz had drank and threw it on Eli’s jacket for added effect. His surprised face was enough for me, and I walked out, shoes in hand, in search for Fitz.

I found him in the boys bathroom down the hall. He was still throwing up, coughing over the last stall’s toilet. I set my shoes on the sink, and then came up behind him, rubbing circles on his back until he was done. My phone buzzed in my purse, and I checked it as he flushed the toilet. Jenna got sick at literally the same time. I’m in the dressing room bathroom with her. Where did you go? And have you seen Alli? I didn’t bother responding, just pulled some toilet paper off of the roll and handed it to him as he collapsed against the wall. “You okay?”

“What do you think, Hollie?” His tone set me aback, and I raised an eyebrow at him. “Sorry, sorry. That was uncalled for.” I crawled to sit down next to him, and he leaned his head on my shoulder, coughing again as I stroked his head.

“Whatever happens to Eli from now on is none of our concern. He’s made it very clear that he’s not mature, but please, please don’t retaliate for this.”

“I don’t know what I could do that would make him feel much worse than this,” he said, and I leaned over and kissed his forehead, which was slightly damp with sweat. “Can we just get out of here?” I nodded, standing and helping him get up. He looked so weak, so tired. So..un Fitz. I felt so bad, and I hated seeing him like this. But I did think getting him out of the building was probably the best idea for that moment. After washing off my shoes, we both headed out of the bathroom, and stopped by his locker to get his things. Clare, of all people, stepped out of the Gym, and after giving me an odd look, started in on Fitz.

“There you are! Are you okay?”

“Yep,” he answered in a monotone voice.

“I should have known that Eli would try to pull something like this. He’s always trying to come off as this bad-ass.” I laughed at her choice in words, and pulled Fitz’s car keys out of his locker, slipping them into my purse. “The worse part is, I fell for him. Guess that makes me a-

“Regular ass?” I swatted Fitz on the arm, and he gave me a dirty look.

“I was gonna say niave, but…” It was then that Clare stopped in her words, looking behind us. There was someone walking down the hallway, and when they came into the light, I almost gasped. It was Tyler. Tyler was walking down the hallway.

“Awh, don’t you two look cute,” he called down the hall, hitting a locker on his left. “I should have figured this was what was going on the entire time.” Fitz and I glanced at each other, and I bit my lip.

“I don’t know what you’re-

“DON’T GIVE ME THAT BULLSHIT, YOU LITTLE BITCH,” he screamed, and punched another locker. “Owen and I have been joking about it since that fucking english project. Kept saying how Fitz needed a good fuck, other than Bianca, and that maybe little goodie two-shoes Peterson would be up for the ride.” He looked at the two of us, and then laughed. “I guess she was.”

“Don’t talk about her like that,” Fitz said calmly, stepping in front of me. I pushed him out of the way, and shook my head at Tyler.

“This isn’t any of your business, Tyler. None at all.”

“What’d you say, whore?” To our horror, out of his pocket he pulled a switch blade, the end of which popped open. I heard Fitz and Clare take in a deep breath at the same time as me. “Not so talkative now, huh?” He dragged his knife along the lockers for a few feet, and the sound made me cringe.

“Clare, go get Simpson. Now.” I half whispered, half ordered her to leave, and she slowly backed away, almost running towards the Gym.

“You should have been nicer to me, Little Miss Hollywood. You should have been a good girl and let me ride you when I wanted to.” I felt a shiver go down my spine as he got closer, his dark eyes blazing with anger.

“Tyler, please, calm down,” Fitz tried to reason, and I heard the butt of the knife slam into the locker.

“Shut the fuck up, Fitz!” Tyler let out a snarl. “You lied to us. You lied to me. About everything.” He narrowed his eyes at the two of us, and suddenly I felt colder, my heart beating faster. “And now the two of you are both going to pay.”

It all happened in slow motion then. I can see it in my head now. Tyler swinging the blade. Me trying to pull Fitz out of the way. Him stepping in front of me. And then the sound of the knife as it sliced through Fitz’s leg.

Everything after that kind of went fast. As Fitz dropped to the ground and Tyler lunged towards me, Owen came out of the door behind him and tackled him to the floor. At the same time, the fire alarm went off, and I heard screams from the Gym as water sprayed out into the hallway from the sprinklers, followed by a crowd of screaming girls running towards the door. The first person to come towards our group was Clare. I sat with Fitz strewn across my lap, my hand putting pressure on his leg. Owen had Tyler in an Armlock, and was dragging his ass outside, with the assistance of Riley and Zane. Clare pushed some hair out of Fitz’s eyes, which were blinking spratically as he looked up at me. “Just keep some pressure on that. I’m sure the cops are…” she trailed off, her gaze down the hallway. “Already here?” Clare stood, jogging down the hallway.

I was shaking. My entire body felt like it was going to collapse. And through the screams of students exiting the gym, I could hear my own crying, sobbing as I held my hand to Fitz’s leg, trying to stop the bleeding. Someone came up next to me, and I looked to see the police officer. “We called for backup, but the ambulance is stuck in traffic. I can take your friend here faster than it would be for them to get here.” I gave a nod, and she seemed to look around for help. Adam, trying to help get everyone out, standing by the door, jogged over.

“Need help?” The officer nodded, and he looked down at me. “Do you want me to go with them?” he asked, and I met his eye for a split second. And in that second, I knew he knew. I knew he’d figured it out. He’d realized why I was crying, why I cared so much. He knew that Fitz and I were together.

“Please,” I coughed out, and he nodded silently before helping her carry him out the door.

“You should get out too!” Adam yelled over his shoulder, but I barely heard him over the sound of the alarms and the door slamming behind him. Owen was standing outside, and I saw him help them carry him the rest of the way to the car. I still sat against the wall, trying to understand what had just happened. Tyler had stabbed Fitz. Tyler, stabbed Fitz. Tyler stabbed Fitz because I wouldn’t put up with his flirting. And suddenly, I was filled with anger. Tyler was sitting outside, handcuffed in the back of a cop car, while the rest of the damp student body sat aside chattering. This teenage boy, now looking sickly and sad, had just stabbed my boyfriend not minutes before. And now, he looked like he wanted some sort of sympathy. Regret flitted across his face. I stood, about to head for the door, when I glanced back into the Gym and saw Clare and Declan ushering the last people out of the corners of the room.

Fuck, I thought, stopping in my tracks. Jenna’s still in the dressing room. My eyes widened, and I turned, fighting against the crowd to get back in. Clare looked at me from the door, and I called “JENNA!” over my shoulder. She nodded and waved me towards the stage. The sprinklers immediately matted the hair around my face to my head, and I pushed it out of my eyes, kicking off my heels and jumping onto stage, where there was less water flowing from the sprinklers. When I made it to the dressing rooms, there was no more water coming out, but you could still hear the fire alarms. Jenna was still bent over one of the toilets in the girls room when I went in, and she saw me, her eyes widening, wiping her mouth with toilet paper.

“Hollie? What’s going on-I heard the alarms.” I wiped under my eyes, the tears streaming down my face mixing with the water dripping from my hair.

“It’s Tyler-he-he brought a knife.” My voice was cut with a sob, and I leaned against the stall, trying to catch my breath. “Let’s just go. I’ll explain it when we get out of here.” She grabbed more toilet paper and her wristlet on the back of the toilet, and we walked out. The water had stopped, but the alarm was still sounding. We got through the curtains only to see Clare and Declan standing in front of the doors, which were now closed. “WHAT’S GOING ON?” I yelled over the sound of the alarm. Neither of them turned around, so I yelled it louder. After the second time, Clare turned around, seeming to hear me.

“OH, HEY. THE FLOOR LOCKED.” I furrowed my brow.

“THE WHAT?”

“THE DOOR LOCKED.” My eyes widened, and I leaned in closer, trying to get her to hear me.

“ARE YOU SERIOUS?”

“WHAT?” I pursed my lips, and leaned in closer.

“TURN OFF THE DAMN ALARM.” She got that just perfectly. She walked back over to the fire alarm and pulled the lever back down, pressing the lock button in the middle. The alarm stopped sounding almost immediately, and it felt oddly quiet in the large, empty gym, filled with now water drowned poker tables and a ruined sound system. “The door locked?” I gave Clare and Declan a questioning look, and they both nodded.

“I think the water must have tripped the emergency locks,” Declan said, cradling his head with his hand. “We were about to walk out and they slammed closed on us.” I glanced around the room. There were no other doors that I could see.

“’Course.” I shook my head, and let go of Jenna’s arm to rub my temple, a headache washing over me. “Could this night get any worse?”

“What happened exactly?” Declan asked, crossing his arms. “I could have sworn I saw Tyler Mayfield being dragged out by Owen and Riley, of all the pairs.” I norrowed my eyes, and then squeezed them shut, trying to keep from crying. Jenna gave my hand a squeeze.

“Tyler came back with a knife,” I said with a snarl. “He’s why that cop was here in the first place; from earlier tonight. I guess she was busy or something…because when Fitz and I were in the hallway talking, he managed to get back in.” Jenna gasped next to me, and I shut my eyes again.

“I was there at first,” Clare stepped in, and put an arm around my shoulders. “Fitz was trying to reason with him-he was babbling. Hollie told me to get help, and I couldn’t find Simpson, so I had Adam call 911 and then pulled the fire alarm.”

“The cop came out then-she saw Fitz on the floor, and then Tyler with the knife.” I was still shaking as I spoke, and I leaned closer into Clare for support. “Owen tackled him and the two of us ran back in here to get everyone out.”

“Is Fitz okay?” Jenna asked. I closed my eyes, taking in a deep, ragged breath.

“Last we saw him, he was getting carried out by the cop and Adam. The cut was pretty deep.” Clare gave my shoulder a squeeze, and I looked down at the floor, my eyes flooding again.

“Why don’t we try to get out of here, okay?” Declan spoke again, and I looked at him for a long minute before nodding. My mind was still foggy-I didn’t know if I could think straight, much less walk straight. But the four of us, all looking tired and slightly soggy, tried every possible exit, from the back door in the tech rooms behind the stage, to the windows along the corners of the offices of the theatre teachers. Nothing would open. Adam sent a text a few minutes later, saying they had arrived at the hospital and Fitz was rushed into surgery to close up the wound, but because he wasn’t family, he couldn’t go in. Did they call his mom?

I think so. I gave the nurse his name and they fished his phone out of his pocket when they undressed him. Are you on your way?

We’re locked in the gym. Clare texted Eli to tell Simpson and my mom, but let Andrea know I’ll be there ASAP.
I felt myself involuntarily shudder, and pinched the bridge of my nose as I leaned against a ladder sitting against a wall in the back of the tech room. You will not cry, Hollie. Do you get that? You WILL not cry. Not in front of them.

“He’s going to be fine,” Declan said suddenly, and my eyes shot open, and then narrowed again in a glare. He understood what I meant immediately, and pursed his lips, looking away.

“Of course he will be!” Clare assured me, patting me on the back. “That officer probably got him there really quick, and it didn’t look too bad.” She and Declan shared a glance, and I shook my head.

“It was a nice try, Clare, but-

“Guys, look at this!” Jenna interrupted, and we turned to see her near a hatch next to the door to the wardrobe closet. It was large, close to the floor, and when she opened it, a light popped on. She stuck her head in, and looked down. “I think it goes down to the basement laundry room.” I walked over and looked down, realizing that on the wall closest to us, there was a ladder.

“We can get out from there-I think there’s a back flight of stairs up to the roof from down there.” We all looked at Clare, eyebrows raised, and she shrugged. “It’s where KC and I got locked Freshman year.” I let out an involuntary shudder at the idea of them being locked anywhere together, and then looked back at the hatch.

“Well, there’s only one way to find out.” Declan was the first to go, being the male and all. Once he was down, he called out from down the hatch.

“There’s not much light down here, but you can kind of see. Jenna, you next!” Clare and I helped her in, and she slowly waddled down the ladder and into Declan’s awaiting arms at the bottom. I made Clare go next-I didn’t want her watching me from the top if I teared up again. When I finally got down, I threw my shoes and bag down to them, and sped climbed, jumping the remaining few feet with the grace of a jungle monkey. “Where the fuck did that come from? Usually you would have tripped the last few feet.” I gave him a glare as I threw my shoes back on and checked my phone.

Eli: Simpson called an emergency crew but it’s going to be a while before they can make it into the school. The water did some damage to the security system.

Well no shit, Sherlock. We’re already on our way out.

Adam: Have you guys seen Drew? Mom’s calling me, freaking out.

No. We’re still stuck in school.


“I’m upset-no, I’m pissed off. I’m tired. I’m hungry. And I just want to get out of this fucking school and make sure Fitz is-

“HELLO?!” There was a call from a door to our left, and all of our heads turned. Clare and I met each others gazes for a few seconds. Was that…

“Alli?” Clare called out, walking to the door the scream came from.

“Clare, is that you?” That was definitely Alli’s voice. “We’ve been stuck in here for like, twenty minutes. I don’t know what happened-

“We’ll tell you when we get you out. Just hold on!” Clare looked at Declan, who walked up to the door and yanked on it a few times. Nothing happened, and he looked back at us and shrugged.

“Oh, come on.” I glanced around, looking for some sort of tool, and managed to find a crowbar hanging next to a set of keys on the wall. I gave Declan the crowbar with a pointed glare, and he rolled his eyes before wedging it into the door and pushing at it with a frustrated groan. With a crack and a snap, the door busted open, and a discheveled looking Alli came running out, and into Clare’s arms. She immediately started crying, and I was confused, until a pissed off Drew sauntered out of the door behind her.

“What were you two doing in there?”

“Don’t ask!” Alli sobbed into Clare’s shoulder, and I gave Drew a confused look, to which he shrugged and just rubbed the back of his neck. “Can we just get out of here please?” Declan made a sarcastic comment under his breath, and I glared at him before looking around, trying to locate a way out. The only thing I saw was…an elevator?

“Declan, grab me those keys!” I said, and he ripped the keys off the wall and threw them in my direction. I snatched them out of the air and turned back to the elevator, covered by a gate closed by a padlock. I fiddled with the keys unitl I found one that fit, noticing my hands were still shaking, and managed to get the padlock open. “Since there’s no staircase, this seems to be the only way up.” I stepped inside and heard the floor creek. “Come on!” I gestured for the rest of them to come into the Elevator, and Clare raised an eyebrow but walked a shaking Alli towards us. With a shared glance, the buys got in, and I pressed the up button as Declan closed the gate back up. With a rickety sound and a groan, the elevator slowly started to move up.

You show the lights that stop me turn to stone, you shine them when I’m-

“Hello?”

“Hollie? Where are you? Are you okay?” My mother’s worried voice came through my phone as the display on the elevator read 2.

“We’re in an elevator inside of school. I think we figured out a way-

“Andrea’s on her way to the hospital. She just called. Fitz, Hollie, I’m so sorry, Fitz got hurt and-

“I know, I know Mom. I was there.” The elevator came to a screeching hault, and the rest of the people with me steadied themselves. Drew opened the gate, and there was another set of double doors, which he twisted open. A blast of cold air rushed in, and Clare let out a sigh of relief. “We’re on the roof!” I said, stepping out. “Mom, we’re on the roof!” I stepped out of the elevator, sliding off my shoes and taking them in my hand with my bag, tip toeing across the gravel floor and towards the edge of the roof. The rest of the group came up below us, and you could see flashing lights from cop cars and ambulances lining nearly the entire parking lot. I saw a figure waving off to the side, and realized it was my mother, who I waved back at.

“I see you!” she called out, and I felt my body relax. For the first time since things had started going downhill, they were finally going right.

The second we made it down the ladder on the side of the building, I was thrown under a blanket and into the back of an ambulance. “I’m fine, I’m fine!” I called, looking over at Jenna, who was in the ambulance across from me. “If anything, she needs the attention. All this stress can’t be good for the baby.” The lady taking my blood pressure rolled her eyes.

“You’re probably right, Ms. Peterson, but we have to do all of this. It’s just a precaution. We’re taking Ms. Middleton to the hospital to check on the baby, if you’d like, you can ride with her there. I know you’re probably anxious to get there anyway.” I looked at the woman in front of me, and realized I’d been babbling about how worried I was about Fitz the entire time she’d been checking on me. “If it’s any consolation, I hope he’s okay.” With a smile, she walked me over to sit with Jenna on a stretcher in the back of the ambulance.

“We’ll meet you there!” Clare called over one of the paramedic’s shoulders. She and Eli were sitting next to each other on Morty’s hood, with Declan leaning against the driver’s side door. And when the paramedic shut the doors on us, I broke down again. What a night. What a god aweful, horrible night.

The second we braked into the hospital turn in and the paramedic opened the door, Jenna pushed me half out. “Go find him,” she said with an eyebrow raise. I’d flat out told her on the way there-between sobs and gasps, I’d told her that Fitz and I were dating, and she just nodded and rubbed my back, like I was the one on the way to be checked out at the hospital. And that’s when I noticed them. The paparazzi sitting on the benches on either side of the emergency room door. With a kick of my heels, I picked up my shoes, gave a small smile at Jenna, and made a run for the sliding doors. Nurses gave me crazy looks from inside and the cameras started flashing, voices pushing at me from both sides. “HOLLIE! HOLLIE, IS EVERYTHING OKAY?” One of them tried to follow me in, but a male nurse, with a stern look, grabbed them by the arm and walked them back out. I have to remember to send him some sort of thank you. Without even stopping, I walked up to the front desk.

“I need to know what’s going on with Mark Fitzgerald,” I said hastily, leaning against the counter and trying to catch my breath. I probably looked crazy, with matted hair and makeup running down my face, carrying my shoes in my hands. But I didn’t care. I was in the same building as Fitz-I was close to him. And that’s all I cared about. The young nurse behind the counter looked at me with a raised eyebrow, but when her eyes widened and she realized who I was, she spoke.

“I’m sorry, Miss, but-

“Hollie!” I heard Adam’s voice, and turned towards it. He stood up, and next to him in the chairs I saw Andrea and Ben, both looking worse for wear. Adam ran towards me, pulling me into a tight hug, which is just what I needed. When he pulled back, he looked me in the eyes. “Fitz is in surgery. Tyler cut pretty deep, so they’re trying to…” My eyes were welling up, and when he saw that, he stopped, taking me by the hand and directing me towards Andrea, who was now standing with her arms open. I fell into them, and we sat down, both too upset and tearful to even talk. It took about half an hour for the waterworks to stop.

“I’m sure he’s going to be fine,” Andrea said, wiping at her eyes and then at mine. I took a deep breath, letting out a gurgle and sniffling. Adam reached over to the table next to us and pulled some tissues out of a box, handing them to us. “The doctor said we should know something within the hour.” There was the click of heels behind me, and I turned to see my mother, holding one of my large Dooney duffels close to her chest, and talking into her Bluetooth.

“Just do damage control until I can get an official statement out to Arianna. No, she hasn’t mentioned anything yet. But she’s a Huffington-she’ll…” She stopped when she saw me, and her eyes widened. “I have to go. I’ll call you back in a little while.” She pressed the screen of her phone and crouched down in front of me, an impressive feat in 5 inch pumps. “Are you okay?” I shrugged, staring at a tile to her right and avoiding eye contact. She looked to Andrea. “What do we know?”

“He’s in surgery, we should know something more soon.” I shook my head, leaning against Adam again. The images of Tyler, of all the blood, they were flashing in my head, replaying like some bad commercial. That’s when mom put the bag in my lap.

“I brought this for you.” She turned to Adam. “Will you walk her to the bathroom? Make sure she’s okay?” He nodded and helped me up, and I felt feeble and shakey. I still don’t know why-just the night’s effect on my body. When I got into the bathroom and looked inside the bag, I sighed in relief. If there was one thing my mom knew, it was what I needed and when I needed it. Sure, she could be completely oblivious to my feelings or the idea that I am, in fact, a human being, and not her puppet, but she had my routine down. And when I’m upset, all I want is my Sober is Sexy sweatshirt, my fluffy blanket and a bottle of Diet Coke. That’s exactly what was in the bag. I slipped out of the dress and into the comfy bra and sweatshirt she’d packed, put the jeans and TOMS on, wrapped my blanket around my shoulders, and met Adam outside.

“Thanks,” I said as he took the bag with my stuff from my hands. He shrugged, looking down at the floor as we walked. “You can ask me, you know.” He looked up, eyebrows raised, and then, realizing what I was talking about, let out a deep breath.

“It didn’t feel like quite the right time.” Adam looped his arm through mine, squeezing it tight, and glanced down at me as we walked. “How long have you two been together?” I let out a laugh, scratching my head. I’d looked in the mirror in the bathroom briefly and decided that the drowned raccoon look suited me. All I did was swipe away at some of the eyeliner dripping down my face and I looked just messy enough.

“That’s a really complicated answer.” He laughed back, and I sighed, thinking it all over in my head. “We’ve been friends since the week I started.”

“But you kicked his ass! Literally!” I giggled, shrugging as we rounded a corner.

“He redeemed himself. We went on our first date at the start of last month. And we’ve been an actual couple since the fourth.” Adam gave a nod, and I kind of wanted to yell WHY ARE YOU NOT FREAKING OUT?!

“I’m not going to ask why, because I can see the reasons you two work. And I’m not going to say everything that I think, because right now is not an appropriate time.” I smiled at him for that. “But I’ve seen the difference in him since you got here. It’s been gradual, but there’s a difference. And you’ve been ridiculously happy the last couple of weeks, and now I finally know why.” I didn’t get the chance to respond to his words because when we turned the next corner, Owen was leaning against a wall, and his eyes widened when he saw me.

“Hollie!” He walked up, looking adamant. “Is he okay? I just got here.” I took a deep breath and separated from Adam, who was steadily glaring at Owen.

“He’s in surgery, we don’t know anything yet.” He cradled his head in his hands, and I put a hand on his shoulder. “I think we need to talk.” I looked back at Adam, who rolled his eyes in the most unsympathetic way ever.

“I’ll take your stuff back to your mom.” One of the nurses showed us to the back entrance, where the Employees go to smoke and the ambulances wait for calls. Without hesitation, Owen pulled out a pack of Black & Milds and a lighter, offering me one. I don’t really know why I did it, but I took one, letting him light it for me as I held it between my shaking fingers. It took me a few puffs to get used to the taste again. I used to smoke a lot with Marcie when I was still on the party scene. My brother used to leave packs lying around that we would pilfer and smoke in the VIP rooms. But it’s been almost a year since I’ve touched anything smokable, and I almost cough on the first drag.

“Never took you for a smoker,” Owen said, and I shrugged, leaning against the back of the bench we’d found and crossing my legs.

“You didn’t take me for a drinker either, but I proved you wrong on that one, too.” He let out a laugh, and I smiled, blowing smoke out.

“So, tonight, it’s been…”

“Fucking insane?” He laughed again, and I shrugged. “I just wish Fitz hadn’t been the one to get hurt.”

“If I understand what Clare told me correctly, he was trying to protect you.” I let out a laugh.

“Everyone thinks they’re protecting me. But in reality, all they’re doing is putting themselves in harms way. I always wind up hurt, one way or another.” I cradled my forehead, dusting ash over the edge of the bench. “Look at this, Fitz is in surgery, Tyler’s probably going to jail…” I shook my head, reveling in the craziness of the night. I still felt sick-physically ill over the idea that this boy was laying on a surgery table somewhere for me. Because one of his asshole “friends” decided he didn’t like the idea of us as a couple.

“He really must like you,” Owen muttered, ashing onto the concrete. “I’ve never known him to be secretive about anything, much less any action he was getting.”

“We aren’t just sleeping together, Owen,” I spat, throwing the bud of my cigarette into the dirt and standing to stomp it out. “Hell, we haven’t even had sex.” Owen looked slightly surprised, which worried me momentarily. “He’s a different person around me, you know. I don’t know what it is about being with you guys, you and Tyler, but it turns him into a dick.” Hurt flashed across his face, and I backtracked. “I’m not saying it’s you guys. There’s other things going on. But he feels this need to be macho around you guys. Around me, he’s different. He’s like he is with his mom. Sweet and funny and just a good guy. I’ve told him time and time again that if he just acted like that all the time maybe people wouldn’t hate him so much.”

“I’ve seen that side of him,” Owen says smugly, flicking the stub left of his cigarette into the street. “Just one or two times. Mostly when he’s dealing with his sister or mom.” He pulls out his phone, reading over the screen. “I didn’t know Tyler would snap like that.”

“No one could.” I shrugged. “But now all we can do is hope that he’ll be okay.” When we got inside, we found Adam sitting with my mom in the waiting room. He wordlessly pointed down the hall, where I saw Andrea, Ben and Owen of all people were standing with a woman in a white lab coat with a clipboard. I took off nearly running towards them, and when I got there, Andrea threw her arm around me.

“He’s okay!” she cried, pulling me into her chest. “He’s okay!” I hugged her back and turned to look at the doctor in front of us.

“Mark is out of surgery. We stitched him up and he should be fine. He’ll be out of it for a few hours, anesthesia and all, but he should be lucid enough to talk by morning.” Andrea and I looked at each other, and I swear, the smile on her face was going to split her lips. Owen looked just as happy, grasping his hands in front of his face, and then turning to pull out his cell phone, presumably to call Bianca and whoever else might care that Fitz is okay. My mother rounded the corner then, just getting off her cell phone.

“He’s okay, Mom,” I said, and her eyes widened as she walked towards us, her arm coming around to cover Andrea’s on my shoulder. “He’s going to be okay.”
♠ ♠ ♠
what'd y'all think? The steamy Follie scenes? The super scary Fitz drama? I'll be honest, it felt intense writing it!

Let me know! XOXO Holly