Status: Active :)

God Bless the Broken Road

Chapter Sixteen

I decided to stay back in Thunder Bay for a couple of days after the funeral. The day after the funeral all the boys went back to their cities and I was left with Linda and Henry. Linda, Cellina, and I got work done around my house so it would be presentable for a realtor to look at. At first I wasn’t to keen on the idea of going back into that house, but it needed to be done.

Today I was on my way to meet with the realtor so I could show him the house. This would be the first time that I would be stepping foot into the house without Cellina or someone from the Staal family with me. I really wished that Eric could be here for this, because he was my rock. Everything was easier to handle when he was around. As if he knew I was thinking about him, my phone rang.

“Hey babe,” I smiled as I walked through town.

“Hey, how are you?”

“Dreading today.”

He chuckled. “It won’t be too bad, I promise.”

I sighed. “Yeah, I don’t know. So how are you?”

“Good, just wondering when you’re coming home. I miss you.”

“I miss you too and I’m thinking about coming home sometime tomorrow. I’m actually on my way to the realtor office now, then I was thinking about shipping a box or two to the house when I‘m done.”

“What are you doing with the rest of your things?”

“Everything that wasn’t personal or that had sentimental value was donated. I don’t need it and I’m selling the house fully furnished.” I told him.

“Well it seems you have everything under control.”

“I do” I arrived at the office and stepped inside. “Listen, Eric I’m here. So I’ll call you later, okay?”

“You’re slacking, Kenz. I have a game tonight.” He chuckled. “I’ll call you after.”

I couldn’t help but laugh. Usually I was so good with knowing his schedule. “Okay, sounds good. Good luck tonight.”

“Thanks, babe. I love you.”

My heart skipped a beat, much like it always did when he said those words. “I love you too. Now go take your nap.”

Eric laughed. “Yes ma’am. Talk to you later Mackenzie.”

“Talk to you later, Eric.”

I hung up before he had a chance to say bye because the realtor walked into the room. He wasn’t what I was expecting. He was young, maybe five years older than me, and had the prettiest green eyes I’ve ever seen. I mentally shook myself. You have a boyfriend I scolded myself. After introduction where made, the two of us made our way back to the house. I was dreading this part of the day. Going back to the house.

Ten minutes later we were pulling into the driveway and I was on the verge of a panic attack. I focused on keeping my breathing even as I told Brian about the house. We looked around the outside first, anything to prolong going in there.

“It’s very beautiful out here.” Brian said as he took notes.

“It is, I made sure nothing was touched out here because I liked the way everything was. Where the flowers grew and all that.” I told him

He nodded and continued to look around. “It was just you and your father living here right?”

I nodded. “Yeah, we moved here right after my mom died a year a go or so.”

He looked at me a bit surprised. “Didn’t your dad just die last week?” I simply nodded trying to keep myself from crying. “I am so sorry Mackenzie.”

“Thanks.” I smiled. “It’s been tough but the people around me have really helped out with that.”

“If you don’t mind me asking, where will you be living now?”

“In North Carolina with my boyfriend and his brother. I’ve actually been staying with them for a couple of months now.”

“Boyfriend, huh? Damn, there goes my chance.” He chuckled and I blushed.

“Sorry.” Even though I wasn’t.

He waved me off. “Don’t be, tell me about him.”

I was happy to tell him about Eric, anything to get my mind off where I was. I told Brian about how I met Eric and pretty much everything in between then and now. I told him about how close the Staal family and I were and how much I loved them. Eventually though, talking didn’t stop us from going inside. I took a deep breath and walked through the door. Instantly the memories came back and I was fighting to catch my breath.

“The paint in the kitchen, upstairs bathroom, my room, and the master bedroom are all new. We also put a new door in my room and my bathroom.” I told him quietly, looking out the window.

The silence in the house was killing me because I could still hear my dad screaming at me.

You’re worthless, Kenzie! You’re the reason your mother left.

Why couldn’t have been you with you aunt?

I couldn’t take it, I had to get out of the house before I started screaming. “Hey, Brian. Feel free to continue looking around. I’m going to go sit on the porch.” I didn’t wait for a response as I walked outside and let the screen door slam behind me. I pulled out my phone and scrolled through my contacts until I found his name.

Are you free to talk? I could really use my best friend right now.

I hit send and patiently waited for him to respond. Not even five minutes later, my phone began ringing a familiar tune.

“Hey Jordy.” I smiled.

“Hey, Kenz. What’s wrong?” He asked. Typical Jordan, getting right to the point.

I let out a tiny sigh. “I’m at the house right now with the realtor and I just can’t stand being in there. All those nights he was drunk are just hanging there.”

“Where are you now?”

“On the porch. I can’t go back in there.” I sniffled lightly. “I just want this day to be over. I want to go home.”

“Everything will be fine, Kenz. It’s almost over.”

“Thank God.” I felt tears burning again. “Jordan, I just need a hug.” I whispered.

“I wish I could be there to give you one. You know mom will give you one and you wouldn’t even have to ask.” He chuckled.

“I know, but Mama Staal’s hugs just aren’t the same as her sons’.”

“You know it!”

I laughed. “Tell Heather that I am sleeping in your bed tonight.”

I listened as Jordan relayed the message. “She said, ‘like hell you are. It’s her bed and no one else’s’ then she laughed.”

“Well tell her that I don’t mind sharing if she doesn’t.” I laughed.

I listened again as Jordan passed the message again, but this time it was Heather who was on the line.

“Girl, I am not sharin’ my man with the likes of you.” She said, trying not to laugh.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa, I don’t want your man. I just want his bed.” I giggled.

Heather laughed too. “Bottom shelf of the boys’ bathroom is another bottle of Jord’s cologne. Spray his blanket or pillow with it before bed. It’s like he’s with you.”

“I do the same thing with Eric, except I use his hoodie and wear that instead.”

“Great minds think alike.”

“I think you mean hockey girlfriends.”

“Yeah, so how are you holding up?”

“Okay, I just want to go home though.”

“I hear ya, soon enough.” I could hear the smile in her voice.

“Yeah.” I agreed, turning when I heard the boards creak. Brian was standing there watching me. “Hey Heather, I have to go, tell Jordan that I said bye and that I love him.”

“Will do, Kenz, and remember, he’s mine.”

“I know, I know.” I laughed before hanging up.

“Jordan? I thought you were dating Eric?” Brain asked, taking a seat next to me.

I laughed. “I am, Jordan is Eric’s brother and my best friend. He’s like a brother to me that’s it, plus he has Heather.”

Brian didn’t say anything at first he just nodded. “Well.” He said standing up. “I think I have everything I need from here today. Why don’t we head back to the office and we will discuss the final details?”

That night I went to the bar Cellina worked at for a couple hours before heading back to the Staal house to finish packing all my things. I was happy to be leaving this place for a little while, sure we’ll be back for Christmas, but that was still a couple months away and I’ll be ready to come back by then. I slipped on the sweatpants Eric left for me and made my way downstairs where Henry and Linda were watching a movie. When they spotted me, they both moved aside and let me sit in between them. Henry instantly wrapped his arm around my shoulder and I rested my head on Linda’s shoulder.

No one said anything, we just sat in silence and watched the movie. I thought back to the times that my mom, dad, and I would do the same thing. Curled up together on the couch and watched movies. Soon I found myself crying.

“Shhh, Mackenzie, it’s okay.” Linda cooed, rubbing my arm. “I know it all just sucks right now, but it will get better. You have Henry, the boys, Heather, and I all here for you.”

“Thank you guys, for everything.” I sniffed. “Thank you for taking me in and for making feel like I belong to a family again.”

“Oh, sweetheart, you will always be a part of this family. We love you like you are one of our own and I know the boys love you too. Especially Eric.” She smiled.

I smiled through my tears. “Thank you, Linda. I love you too. And thank you for being there for me through everything. I know if my mom was alive, she’d love you and you two would be the best of friends.”

Linda now had tears in her eyes as she hugged me. “Thank you, Mackenzie.”

I turned around and gave Henry a hug as well. “I love you, Henry.”

He smiled and hugged me back. “Love you, too, Mackenzie.”

For the remainder of the night, the three of us talked about Christmas and the up coming All-Star games that were going to be held in Raleigh. I had bid Henry and Linda goodnight and went upstairs and called Eric since I had missed his call while I was out with Cellina. When we hung up I had eight hours until I got to see him again. I couldn’t wait.
♠ ♠ ♠
Edited