Status: Active :)

God Bless the Broken Road

Chapter Seventeen

I was finally home.

I couldn’t have been happier when the plane touched the tarmac, I almost cried, but I wrote that off as emotional strain. I had been through a lot the past week and the lack of sleep from last night wasn’t helping either. I had laid in bed staring at the ceiling for hours after I talked to Eric. I just kept thinking about getting home and getting away from Thunder Bay for a while. I quickly got up from my seat and joined the rest of the passengers heading for the entrance like cattle, I just wanted to see Eric.

Once I was out of the plane and in the terminal, I quickly made my way to the baggage claim to pick up my bags, searching for Eric as I approached the busy area. A smile graced my tired face when I spotted him in the corner, baseball cap pulled low over his sunglasses covered eyes. Even trying not to be recognized, I still knew it was him. Deciding to be evil, I grabbed my bags as they came around on the carousel. Once I had them, I made my way over to Eric apologizing as I bumped into people.

“You’re Eric Staal, aren’t you?” I asked, trying not to laugh when he visibly cringed. Slowly he lifted his head, mouth open to answer me. I smiled and waved as tears quickly flooded my eyes. “Hey.” I whispered. He didn’t say anything, he just wrapped me in a tight hug. Almost instantly, the tears I had been trying to hold and wanted to shed in Thunder Bay were falling down my cheeks as I pressed my face into Eric’s chest.

“Shhhh, everything’s fine. It’s done. You’re home.” He whispered, rubbing from the top of my head all the way down my back. “I’ve missed you.”

I chuckled quietly, wiping away my tears. “I’ve missed you, too. It was hard without you there with me.” I sighed and shook my head. “I don’t want to talk about that right now…or ever. I just don’t want to relive that.”

Eric nodded. “Come on, you look tired. Let’s go home and lay down.” He took my large suitcase and lead the way out.

“What about practice? Didn’t you tell me that you guys had practice today?”

“It’s optional and I’m opting not to go. I haven’t seen you in a week and you went through a rough time. Coach understands and Cam and Jeff wanted to offer you condolences.”

I just simply nodded, suddenly exhausted. I grabbed Eric’s hand as we walked to the parking garage. Of course his disguise didn’t fool everyone, we were stopped by fans asking for autographs and pictures. Some asked who I was and I froze, this was the first time that we’d been ask that question while out together. I looked at Eric and wondered what he was going to tell them.

“This is my girlfriend, Mackenzie and she just got here so we’d like to get home.” Eric said placed his hand on my lower back and gently guided my away from the crowd of fans. We didn’t say anything the rest of the way to the car. I was still processing that he told his fans who I was. I mean it was only a matter of time before they all found out, but usually they find out through the grapevine. Very rarely did they hear it from the player’s mouth first. “Mackenzie, are you okay? You’ve been just staring off into space for the past five minutes.” Eric asked, glancing at me. “Are you okay that I told them who you are?”

I shook my head slightly, to shake myself from my little world. “I’m fine, it’s fine. I’d rather you tell them then people assuming and gossiping.” I leaned over and kissed him. “I don’t care at all. I love you.”

Eric smiled and kissed me back. “I love you too.”

The drive back to the house was quiet, Eric seemed a little nervous though. He kept messing with the radio, tapping his fingers, adjusting his hat. He was very close to driving me nuts.

“Babe, what’s wrong?” I finally asked.

Eric looked at me confused. “Nothing, why do you ask?”

“Maybe because you can’t seem to sit still.” Then it dawned on me. “Does your restlessness have anything to do with my surprise?” I asked, bouncing slightly in my seat.

Eric chuckled. “Maybe.” And that’s all he said the rest of the ride home. I tried to act mad at him, but on the inside I was listing all the possibilities that the surprise could be. Finally we pulled up to the house and I went to unbuckle myself but Eric stopped me.

“Wait here, I’ll come back for you.” He smiled and placed a kiss on my forehead.

I sighed and watched as Eric disappeared into the house. What is he up to? I wondered as I impatiently waited for his return. Soon I saw Eric making his way out of the house with a smug smile on his face. He opened my door and I took my hand.

“Eric Staal, what are you up to?” I scolded as he lead me to the house. He didn’t say anything as he opened the door and lead me in. He went into the kitchen, leaving me standing in the entryway of the house. “Eric, please tell me what is going on?” I pleaded with a smile. I really hated surprises and this was a big one apparently.

Eric came out of the kitchen carrying the cutest puppy in the world. “So impatient.” he chuckled setting the Golden Retriever on the floor. It quickly made it’s way to me, it’s tail wagging.

“Ohmygosh, it’s so adorable!” I gushed sitting on the floor with it, laughing as it started licking my face. “What’s it’s name? And where did it come from?” He did not get my a puppy? Did he?

Eric smiled and sat down next to me and started petting the puppy. “She doesn’t have a name yet. I was hoping you and I could give her one.”

I gave him a look. He really did get me…well us, a puppy. “You and I? She’s ours?” I asked, just making sure.

“Yes. I figured you get lonely when Jared and I are gone and you could use some company. Plus I haven’t had a dog in a long time…since Candy passed away.”

I smiled at the puppy as she snuggled against Eric’s chest. “Molly.” I said.

“I like it. Molly.” He smiled and scratched behind her ears. “You’re not mad at me are you?” Eric asked after a couple of minutes of comfortable silence.

I shook my head. “How could I be mad at you when you’re being so sweet?” I smiled softly. “I’ve always wanted a dog.”

Eric smiled and kissed me. “Now you have one.”

For the rest of the day Eric and I went shopping for Molly and did some other errands Eric and Jared have neglected to do while I was gone. Once we were done with all our shopping, Eric and I had a nice dinner in and spent the rest of the night watching movies curled up on the couch with Molly next to us. I sighed and snuggled into Eric’s side, it was such a great feeling being home and with him again. The past week was hard without him. He was my rock through everything.

“I love you.” I whispered.

He looked down at me. “I love you, too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Edited