Status: Active :)

God Bless the Broken Road

Chapter Twenty-Seven

Three Months Later

It was Christmas and Eric and I were going to Thunder Bay. This was the first year in a while that all four boys were making it up. A few weeks ago though, Eric and I weren’t so sure we were going to make it, because I have been having some issues with the pregnancy.

While Eric was in Florida I had a labor scare and ended up in the hospital. It ended up being practice contractions, but my doctor wasn’t so keen on the idea of me flying to another country with only a month left in the pregnancy and having practice contractions. Once Eric found out about the trip to the hospital he went into full husband freak out mode. He was on the doctor’s side about traveling, but I talked him into still going.

The entire flight to Thunder Bay Eric kept an eye on me. As soon as we landed, there was a wheelchair waiting for me. I rolled my eyes at it and the thought of being pushed around public in it, but really I was thankful.

Now that we finally at the Staal house, I was quickly forced to lay down and not to move. Normally I would have objected to the confinement, but I was tired and I knew everyone was worried. Truth be told, I was too, but I wasn’t going to let the worry ruin my trip.

“How are you feeling, mama?” Heather asked, taking a seat next to me.

“Huge.” I sighed. “I’m ready for the little ones to get here.”

“Me too!” she giggled. “Jordan is excited to be an uncle.”

“Marc too.” a second voice said from behind the couch.

I squealed and reached behind me. “Cellina! When did you get in?”

She rounded the couch and hugged me the best she could with my huge belly. “Three hours ago, Jordan and Eric were a little late picking us up.” She laughed.

The three of us lounged around the living room and caught up with one another. We talked about work, school, and of course the babies. It was great to be around the girls again. Even though we talking on the phone and Skype, I still missed them. They were like sisters to me, especially Heather. I always looked forward to seeing them.
Movement caught my eye and I glanced up to see Eric walking into the room with his brothers. I sent a smile his way and he returned it before heading out to the barn.

**Eric’s POV**

The sound of Mackenzie’s laugh hit me as my brothers and I walked through the living room. I glanced over and saw her sitting on the couch talking and laughing with Heather and Cellina. What really made me smile, was the sight of her absent mindedly rubbing her stomach. She noticed me standing there and sent me a breathtaking smile which I gladly returned.

“My god, he’s so in love it is sickening.” Jordan commented

“You don’t live with them” Jared mumbled.

I turned to my brothers. “Shut up, both of you. You’d be smiling too if your wife was about to have your children.”

Marc joined us. “Speaking of children, shouldn’t they be here in a month.”

I nodded and began heading to the barn. “They should, they might be here earlier than that though. A couple weeks ago Kenzie went to the hospital because she thought she was in labor. She wasn’t, but it was an eye opener.”

“Why didn’t you tell us?” Jordan asked.

I shook my head. “I don’t know, I’m sorry. The good news is she didn’t go into labor.”

“Why is that good news?”

“Because I was in Florida, I don’t want to miss it.”

“That would have sucked.” Jordan agreed.

“I would have been there.” Jared smiled and dodged Eric’s hand. “I’m just saying she wouldn’t have been alone.”

“You’re right.” I looked at my brothers “Now, are we going to stand around or are we going to have a shootout?”

***

My brothers and I were starting our third shootout when Heather came running into the barn.

“Eric,” She gasped. “Kenzie’s in labor!”

Those were the three words that sent my world tilting. I dropped my stick and took off for the house in a dead sprint. When I got to the living room, it was obvious that Kenzie was in pain and Cellina didn’t know what to do.

“Kenz, I’m here, baby. Everything is going to be okay.” I told her, moving her hair out of her face. “Jordan, call mom and dad and tell them to meet us at the hospital.” Once I knew mom and dad were taken care of, I worked on getting Mackenzie to the hospital. “Cellina, can you and Heather grab clothes for her and meet us at the hospital?”

“Eric!” Mackenzie cried. “E, it hurts.”

I looked down at her. “I know baby, I know. We’re going to get you to the hospital.” I placed a kiss on her forehead and lifted her up. “Marc, can you get the door please?”

“Jared and I are right behind you three.” Jordan called as we walked out of the door.

“I’ll drive.” Marc said, already getting into the driver’s seat of his truck. “How’s it going Kenz?”

“Just drive, Marc!” She yelled and I couldn’t help but chuckle.

Twenty minutes later we were finally pulling in front of the emergency room and Mackenzie was in tears. Marc took off inside and returned with a nurse and a wheelchair.

“We hear you’re in labor, sweetheart. Congratulations. What’s your name?” The elderly nurse asked her.

“Mackenzie.” She sobbed. “It hurts.”

“We know, we’re going to get you checked in and up to the maternity wing.” She turned to me. “Are you the father?”

I nodded. “I am, I’m her husband Eric.”

“Eric, nice to meet you. We are going to need you to fill some paperwork out while we get your wife checked in and settled. As soon as you’re finished you can join her.” She smiled, leading me to the desk and handing me a clipboard.

“Can my brother go with her?” I asked.

“I’m afraid not. Don’t worry, you’ll get to see her.”

I nodded. “Kenz, I’ll be up there as soon as I can. I’m going to get this shit filled out.” Giving her a kiss, I smiled. “Love you.”

“Love you too, E.”

I watched as they wheeled her away and then I got busy on the paperwork. Just as I was finishing up the rest of my family came in.

“Where is she?” My mom asked in rush.

“They took upstairs to get a room. Can you please go see if they’ll tell you where she is and go check on her? I’m almost done here, but I’m freaking out.” I asked.

She gave me a warm smile and placed a reassuring hand on my arm. “Of course, sweetheart. I’ll take the girls up with me. Hurry up and get to your wife.”

I nodded and finished up the paper work. Mom had sent me a text telling me where Kenzie was and I practically sprinted there with my dad and brothers trailing. When I reached her room, it was filled with doctors who were rushing around and I knew something wasn’t right.

“What’s going on?” I asked, but no one answered me. I grabbed a nurse as she walked past me. “Excuse me, can you please tell me what is going on?”

She gave me an apologetic smile. “I’m sorry sir, but you’re going to have to wait in the lobby. Family only.”

I bit back my irritation and took a deep breath. “I’m her husband.”

“Oh, I’m sorry. You must be Eric.” She smiled. “We are taking Mackenzie in for a C-section. One of the twins is breach so a natural birth is not an option.”

“But everything is okay with Mackenzie and the babies?”

My mom joined us and placed a hand on my shoulder, squeezing it lightly. “They are all fine, Eric. This is normal with twins, with birth in general.” she smiled again. “It’s also normal to be freaking out right now. Heck, your father all but passed out when I was in labor with you.” She chuckled and I smiled, relaxing.

“Mom, I’m glad this happened here. I don’t know what I would do without you or dad there to coach me through this.” I admitted, hugging her.

“You would have figured it out. Now, go get scrubbed in and get your scrubs on. Mackenzie needs you.” She kissed my cheek. “We will be in the lobby waiting.”

I accepted all the hugs from my family as they left the room. When it was just Mackenzie and I, I looked over at her and smiled. “How are you feeling, sweetie?”

“Good. The drugs are good.” She laughed. “What took you so long?”

I bit my lip. “Your family history.” I whispered. “I filled it out the best I could, but they’re probably going to have questions for you late.”

“That’s fine.”

“Eric?” The nurse from earlier called my name. “Here are your scrubs and the doctor will show you where to scrub in. We are wheeling her to the OR now.”

I nodded. “Okay, thank you.” I turned to Mackenzie. “It’s getting closer.” I whispered. “I’ll see you in a bit. I love you.”

“I love you, too, Eric.”

***

Five minutes later I was scrubbed in and sitting next to Mackenzie as the doctors prepped her for the surgery.

“Are you nervous?” I asked, smoothing back the hair that escaped the hair net they gave her.

“Yes.”

“Me too, but we’re in this together.” I kissed her forehead.

“Alright, Mackenzie. We are going to get started, you’re going to feel some tugging.”

Mackenzie nodded and reached for my hand, which I gladly gave her. I talked to her, trying to keep her mind off of what was going on, but we were both hyper aware of the little cries that filled the room. I glanced over the sheet they put up and saw the doctors cleaning up one of the babies.

“It’s a boy.” The nurse announced, handing him off to another nurse. “Do you have a name for him?”

I smiled and looked down at Mackenzie who had tears in her eyes. “Jason Michael Staal.” The nurse nodded and went back to helping the doctor.

“He’s beautiful, Kenz.” I whispered, kissing her. “He’s perfect.”

Soon after Jason was born the room was once again filled with cries and this time I had tears in my eyes. I looked over just in time to watch them hand the baby over.

“It’s a girl.” someone announced.

“Elizabeth Rose Staal.” I said, not looking at anyone but the two bundles being attended to across the room.

“Eric, is everything okay?” Mackenzie asked, fear and worry evident in her voice.

I looked down and smiled at her. “Everything is fine, they’re fine. I love you, baby.”

Tears filled her eyes. “I love you, too, Eric.”

“Eric, Mackenzie, would you two like to see your son and daughter?” a nurse asked, holding Jason.

We both nodded and a second nurse come over holding Elizabeth. Both babies had their eyes open and were staring at us with the prettiest combination of blue green I have ever seen.

“Hi, guys.” I smiled, tears burning my eyes. “I’m your daddy and this is your mommy. We’re so happy to see you two.”

Mackenzie quietly cried next to me as she traced a finger over both of their smooth cheeks. “They’re beautiful.” She whispered. “I love you two.”

“We’re going to let you get cleaned up and comfortable. Once you’re settled in your room, we will bring them to you.” the nurse smiled. “Congratulations you two.”

“Thank you.” Mackenzie smiled.

“I love you, Kenz, They’re perfect.” I kissed her. “I’m going to go fill everyone in. I’ll meet you in your room, okay?”

“Okay. You took pictures right?”

I nodded. “One of the nurses had my camera.”

I quickly changed back into my street clothes and went in search for my family. I found them practically pacing the lobby. They all stopped when I walked in.

“Mackenzie and the babies are doing great. They are getting ready to move Kenz back to her room and then you guys can see her.” I told them.

“We don’t want to see her!” Jordan exclaimed, causing all of us to laugh.

“What your brother means, do you have pictures?” My mom asked, practically bouncing where she stood.

I laughed and turned on my camera. “This is Jason Michael. He weighed in at 6lbs and 3oz 21 inches.”

“Holy crap, he’s going to be huge.” Marc exclaimed.

“Remember, no pressuring him to play hockey.” our mom chided us. “Oh who am I kidding? He’s going to be a hockey player. It’s all we breed.” She laughed.

“Let us see your little girl.” Heather said, a bit impatiently.

I chuckled and scrolled to the next picture. “This is Elizabeth Rose. She weights 6lbs and 8oz and is 19 inches.”

“Eric, look at her eyes!” Cellina exclaimed. “They’re beautiful.”

“We’re locking her up until she’s fifty right?” Jordan asked.

“I was thinking sixty.”

“Boys.” Mom said, then her eyes filled with tears. “Oh Eric, they’re beautiful. Congratulations honey.”

“Your mother’s right, son. They’re beautiful.”

I hugged my family and turned when the nurse from the OR came into the room. “Mackenzie is back in her room. You are all more than welcome to go visit her.”

Together we all walked into her room, but Jordan stopped me before we walked in.

“What’s up Jord?” I asked.

“I’m going to wait. I’m not going to ask Heather. Today is you and Mackenzie’s day, I don’t want to take away from that.”

I placed a hand on his shoulder. “Jordan, you wouldn’t be. You would be adding to the excitement. Don’t let the twins’ birth change your plans. I promise neither of us would be upset.”

“Are you sure? Because I can wait.”

“I’m positive, Jordan. Ask her today.”

He nodded and went into Mackenzie’s room. When I walked in I saw my mom hugging Kenzie and whispering to her. I could also see that both of them have been crying. I knew things were going to get hard for Mackenzie again now that the babies were born. I was just hoping things don’t get as bad as they did before. I knew she missed her mom and it was going to be more evident now. Once again I was glad my mom was here for this, because she can be there for Mackenzie too.

Dad came over to me and placed a hand on my shoulder. “She’s going to need you now more than ever. Things could get hard again, don’t let her get as bad as she did.”

I looked up at him. “You picked up on that, too?”

He nodded. “We all did.” He was quiet for a second. “You mother and I are going back to Raleigh with you guys. You’re going to need help and I think Mackenzie is going to need us as well.”

I glanced at Mackenzie who was talking to my brothers. “Thank you, dad.”

“Anytime son. Now, let’s go visit your wife.”
♠ ♠ ♠
They're here! I'm working on the next chapter and I'm going to try to get it up before this weekend, but no promises.

I've started my second week of my sophomore year at West Chester and I'm loving it once again. Love my classes. Looking forward to things to come.

Comments would be lovely <3

*ps, I read through this chapter, but if I missed anything SORRY!