Status: Active :)

God Bless the Broken Road

Chapter Twenty-Eight

** Mackenzie’s POV**

I was surrounded by the people I loved the most and yet I wasn’t whole. I knew Eric and his parents picked up on it, but I was trying my hardest to not let it get to me. I should be ecstatic right now, I just gave birth to two healthy babies and was celebrating it with my family.

“Mackenzie, you know this means we are all going to visit you and Eric like all the time right?” Heather asked, with a smile.

I rolled my eyes. “Great, just what I need. A house full of Staals.”

“Uh, sweetheart, it’s already going to be full of us.” Eric pointed out from next to me. I pushed him and everyone laughed. “I love you.” He smiled.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah.” I laughed, kissing his cheek.

There was a knock on the door frame and everyone stopped talking to look up. “My, it looks like you have a full house here.” The doctor smiled. “I was just coming to see how you were feeling.”

“I feel good, but the pain meds haven’t worn off yet. So ask me later.” I laughed. “Is it possible to see the twins?” I asked.

“Of course, I’ll get the nurse to bring them in for you.” He waved and left.

“Did you two even realize what day it is?” Jared asked, from his seat across the room.

I shook my head and looked at Eric who looked just as confused as I did.

“You have Christmas babies.” Marc clarified. “It was after midnight when you came out to the lobby, E.”

I looked at Eric with wide eyes. “They were born on Christmas?” I asked, shocked.

“Merry Christmas, everyone.” Eric laughed.

“Best Christmas presents ever.” Linda said, leaning against Henry. I smiled at them and wondered if my parents were as happy as Eric’s were.

“Oh my gosh, look at them!” Heather exclaimed as Elizabeth and Jason were wheeled into the room. “They are even more beautiful in person.” She turned to us with tears in her eyes.

“Excuse me.” Eric called to the nurse. “Could you tell me when they were born?”

She smiled and reached for the clipboard attached to each bassinet. “Jason was born at 12:11 a.m. and Elizabeth at 12:12 a.m. Congratulations, your twins were the first babies born on Christmas here.” She smiled and left.

I was laughing by the time she left and everyone was looking at me. “Come on, no one else caught that?” I asked.

Jared smiled. “I did, 12:11 and 12:12. Yep, they’re your kids E.” He laughed.

Eric rolled his eyes and picked up Elizabeth. “Mom, would you like to hold her?”

Linda didn’t need to be asked twice before taking her granddaughter from her son. Henry took Jason and pictures were taken and the babies were passed around. When Jordan was holding Elizabeth, she began crying.

“Looks like Liz doesn’t like her uncle Jordan.” I teased, reaching for the crying baby. “Don’t worry, Liz he’s not that scary. He’s actually a big teddy bear.” I whispered to her. She quieted down and looked at me.

“They probably need to eat.” Linda said once Jason started fussing. At the thought of feeding them, I froze. I was nervous and Linda caught on. She came over to me and placed a hand on my shoulder. “It’s okay, I can help you.” She looked at Eric, “Can you go get the nurse? The rest of you, out.”

The room quickly cleared out and Eric returned with the nurse. Both Linda and the nurse coached me through the feeding and everything was fine. I was comfortable and knew that I could handle being a mother. Soon after they ate, Jason and Elizabeth fell asleep and the nurse took them back to the nursery for the night.

“We will let you two get some sleep. We will be here bright and early to take you all home so we can open presents and celebrate Christmas as a family.” Linda said, giving each of us a hug and a kiss.

The rest of the family came in and said their goodbyes and soon it was just Eric and I in the room. I felt the pain meds wearing off, but all I wanted to do was sleep.

“Merry Christmas, babe.” Eric whispered, laying down next to me.

“Merry Christmas, Eric. I love you.”

“I love you, too.”

As soon as Eric turned the light off next to us, I was asleep.

Today was truly the best day ever.
****


The next morning, the twins and I were released around nine in the morning and just like Linda promised, the entire family was there to take us home.

“Mackenzie, Sidney says congratulations and he can’t wait to see them.” Jordan said as he helped me into the truck.

“I’ll have to text him.” I smiled.

The drive back to the house was filled with singing Christmas carols and cooing over the twins. When we finally did arrive at the house, I was in tears. Everyone had made a banner for the twins and I noticed a few presents already put together.

“Linda, you’re always prepared aren’t you?” I asked, hugging my mother-in-law.

“Once we knew you were coming up here and it was so close to your due date we knew that we had to get some things.”

“We are very glad you did, thank you.”

“Anything for you guys. Now, let’s put them down and open presents.”

Once we got the twins situated, we opened presents. I enjoyed every moment of our morning. There was laughter and many pictures taken. Eric and I got so many things for the twins that we were just going to leave in our house up here since we never did prepare that house for babies.

After we finished opening presents, we were all relaxing in the living room with coffee and cinnamon buns when Jordan stood up and grabbed something from behind the tree.

“I have one more present.” He cleared his throat and turned to Heather. I gasped and grabbed Eric’s hand giving it a squeeze. “Heather, I’ve been thinking about how to do this and where I wanted to do it. I figured here with my family was the best place.” He dropped down to one knee and opened the box in his hands. “Heather, I love you and I couldn’t imagine anyone else in my life, right here with me. Will you marry me?”

Heather gasped and covered her mouth, nodding. “Yes, Jordan. Of course I will.”

As Jordan slipped the ring onto her finger she began crying and I couldn’t help but join her. I leaned into Eric and squeeze his hand again. He looked down at me with a smile and placed a sweet kiss on my lips. I looked over at Linda and saw that she was crying harder than both Heather and I.

I smiled through my tears. “Linda, you’re supposed to be happy. I mean I know Heather is annoying and everything, but she’s going to be your daughter-in-law now.”

She chuckled and tossed a pillow at me. “I am happy! I’m just overwhelmed, I got two grandbabies and another daughter in the same day. This is the best day a mother could as for.” She stood up and went over to Heather and Jordan. “Congratulations you two. Jordan, you picked a great girl. Heather, not that I really have to say this, but welcome to the family.”

“Thank you Linda.” She smiled. “Oh Kenzie, I’m sorry. We’re stealing your thunder. This day should be spent celebrating the twins birthday, not my engagement. “ She turned to Jordan. “Jordy, you should have waited.” She chided him.

He kissed her forehead. “I already talked to Eric, he told me it was okay. I already had it planned for today, the twins were the surprise today.” He chuckled.

“Heather, don’t apologize. Now this day can be looked at for more than just the twins birthday. It’s a happy day and everyone now everyone can be happy.”

Heather jumped up and practically tackled me in a hug. The rest of the day was just spent hanging out with family. Linda and Henry told me that they would be accompanying Eric and I back to Raleigh to help with the twins and I honestly couldn’t be happier. I still had a lot to learn when it comes to being a mother, especially a mother to twins. The night was cut short due to the fact that the boys all had to be back in their respective cities early the next morning.

“Eric, I’m not going home with you tomorrow.” I told him, once we made sure the twins were settled and got in our own bed.

“I’m not going home tomorrow. I talked with Coach and Jim. They are giving me the next few days off so that way we don’t have to rush back right away.”

“Always thinking, Mr. Staal, one of the many reasons I married you.” I smiled.

He leaned down and kissed me. “Go to sleep, you’re probably not going to get much in the next couple of months” He chuckled.

I didn’t protest, I was still exhausted from being in the hospital and dealing with the babies all day, sleep came easily to me.

****


Eric and I spent the next three days in Thunder Bay before heading back to Raleigh. When we got home there were cars everywhere and even cameras. Cam and Cody came out of the house with huge smiles on their faces.

“Look at you! You have that new mom glow!” Cody exclaimed, wrapping me in a hug. “Where are they?” She bounced up and down.

Cam came up to his wife and draped an arm over her shoulder. “Relax, you’ll see them. Let Eric and Mackenzie get settled.”

I laughed and grabbed Cody’s hand, dragging her to the other side of the car with me. “Who else is here?” I asked as I unlatched Jason’s carrier.

“Just the team and some of their girls. They all wanted to see you guys and the babies.” She gasped when she laid eyes on the four day old, sleeping, Jason. “He is so precious and he looks just like Eric.”

“Poor kid.” I mumbled. I looked up and noticed the cameras moving closer, trying to capture a picture of the babies. Cody caught on and used her body to block us as we made our way inside. “Eric, heads up, there’s press outside. They have cameras too.”

I heard Eric sigh and mumble something to Cam, who used his body to block Eric and Elizabeth. Linda and Henry had beaten us home by five minutes and Linda quickly came outside to help bring the twins in without being seen. She quickly took Jason from me and Henry was there to take Elizabeth from Eric. Once I knew the babies were inside, I looked at Eric.

“What are we going to do? Should we just ignore them or go talk to them?”

He sighed again and I could see he didn’t really want to deal with the media. We both were exhausted and all we wanted to do was get settled once again and sleep the day away. “We should probably say something. Do you just want to get this over with?”

I nodded and took his hand. Together we came face to face with people from magazines, the newspaper, and even a few sports sites were there. As soon as we were in shouting distance, the questions began. Eric, being use to this, just simply raised his hand and everyone quieted down.

“You guys have about five minutes. I just want to go inside and spend time with my family before the game tonight.” He said, pulling me into his side.

I nodded, Eric had worked on the ice while in Thunder Bay so that he would be able to play in tonight’s game. I wasn’t sure if it was a good idea since we had been driving all day and were up most of the night before with the twins, but he insisted that he was okay.

“Eric, is it true your wife gave birth over the holiday?” One reporter asked and I rolled my eyes. Apparently they were blind and missed all the baby stuff that was pulled out of the SUV.

“Yes. Mackenzie gave birth to our twins early Christmas morning. I couldn’t have asked for a better Christmas present.” He smiled down at me and I hugged him.

“Is it true your brother, Jordan, also got engaged over the break?”

My eyes widened, how did these people find these things out? I looked at Eric to see what he was going to say.

“No comment. That’s my brother’s business and I have no right putting it out there.”

“Is everyone healthy?”

Eric smiled. “Yes Kenzie and the babies are all fine and healthy. That’s enough guys, daddy duty calls.”

The media chuckled and turned away. I released a small breath and followed him into the house. The twins were awake and staring at all the new faces in the room and I could see that Elizabeth already had the team wrapped around her finger, especially Jeff.

“Skins, the baby suits you. Post that picture on the internet and have all the young girls dropping their panties.” Eric laughed. Jeff flipped his captain the bird without even looking up from the baby. “Hey! There are children here!” Eric laughed.

As Eric continued to pick on Jeff, I was engulfed in hug after hug. Everyone wanted pictures of the twins and there were so many ’congratulations’ that my head was spinning. I took a seat on the couch and laughed as some of the guys who have never held a baby, tried it for the first time. Some were scared and others took to it naturally. I was staring at Eric as he showed Zac Dalpe how to hold Jason.

“It’s sexy isn’t it?” Cody whispered next to me, causing me to jump and blush.

“It is, but it’s not like I can do anything about it.” I frowned. “Doctor’s orders.”

“Those orders don’t last forever and believe me the first time you guys have sex after having kids is the best sex ever.”

“I don’t know, our first time was pretty good

Cody just rolled her eyes and sat next to me. “That may be, but after not being able to do anything for a while and watching that” she pointed to Eric holding Jason after Zac panicked. “Will make it so much better.”

“Is she planting the sex after a baby thing in your head?” Cam asked.

I laughed and nodded. “She doesn’t have to try very hard to sell it to me.”

The sound of a baby crying quickly caught my attention and I stood up looking for Elizabeth. Erik Cole stood up and met me in the middle of the living room, he was trying to calm her down, but it wasn’t working. I took her from him and quietly talked to her while bouncing her. I adjusted her hat and wrapped her blanket around her tighter.

“You made a bottle for them right?” Linda asked, coming up next to me.

I nodded still whispering to Elizabeth. “They should be in the cooler. It came in, but I have no idea where it is.” I began looking around for the collapsible cooler we had, but didn’t see it anywhere.

She placed a hand on my arm. “Relax, go take a seat and I’ll look for it. I know it’s overwhelming at first. They all will be leaving soon.”

I looked at the clock and sure enough it was getting close to time for the guys to take their pre-game naps. I sat back down and smiled when Elizabeth quieted down and just stared at me. She was so precious, who knew that such a tiny thing could bring the most joy in the world? Linda returned with a bottle for Elizabeth and she also had one in her hand for Jason because his meltdown was coming. Eric noticed his mom with the bottled and got it from her before handing it to Cam who was holding Jason.

Around two o’clock the guys began to filter out. They all placed light kisses on the twins’ heads and gave me a hug as the passed by. I wished them luck and promised to cheer them on. Once everyone left, Eric and I put the babies down for their nap and went to our room to take our own. That didn’t last long though, because an hour into the nap one of the twins started wailing. Eric groaned next to me and I kissed the top of his head.

“You still have an hour. Go back to sleep, I got them.” I told him. When he didn’t respond, I left with a chuckle. Eric had been pretty good about getting up with me when we were needed, but since he has a game tonight I wasn’t going to make him get up.

I walked into the nursery and stopped when I saw Henry standing there, rocking a now quiet Elizabeth. He looked over at me and smiled.

“She just needed her diaper changed. You can go back to sleep, Linda and I can handle this.”

I shook my head. “I got it Henry, you two don’t have to do that. I’m going to have to get up with them when you guys leave.” I chuckled.

He smiled again. “Exactly, so let us take of it for now. You’re exhausted, we all know it. Eric is too. I personally think he shouldn’t play tonight, but he won’t listen to me.” He walked over to me and pushed me towards our room. “Go lay back down. If we really need you one of us will come get up, but until then just sleep.”

I walked over to him and placed a kiss on his cheek and then pressed one to Elizabeth’s forehead. When I crawled back into bed, Eric wrapped his arm around me and pulled me into his chest.

“Who was it?” he asked, clearly still half asleep.

I chuckled, “Lizzie, but your dad got her. I was told to sleep.”

He leaned over and kissed me. “You do need sleep.” He yawned. “So do I.”
“Go back to sleep, Captain. He still have an hour.” I yawned.

****


Something wasn’t right and I knew it. I shot out of bed and looked next me, Eric wasn’t with me. I glanced at the clock and saw that it was almost eight at night. He was at the game. Then I heard it, the hushed tones and crying coming from the living room. I pulled the covers back and went into the living room where Linda and Henry were trying to calm the babies down.

“What’s wrong?” I asked, coming farther into the room.

Linda and Henry exchanged a look before glancing at me. I was surprised to see worry etched into their faces. Instantly my maternal instincts kicked in and I glanced over the twins to make sure they were okay. They looked fine.

“Is something wrong with the babies?” I asked, worried filling my voice.

Linda shook her head, but her eyes were glued to the television. I slowly turned around and gasped when I saw what was happening. There was a Hurricanes’ player laying on the ice motionless. I couldn’t see his face or his number, but I had a sick feeling I already knew who it was. Silently, I watched as FSN Carolina showed the replay of the hit and when I saw that it was Eric I gasped, tears springing to my eyes. As they played it again, I watched him. He had his head down and wasn’t paying attention when he got hit from the side. I spun around and looked at Linda and Henry.

“How long has he been down?” I asked, my voice shaking.

Henry glanced at the clock above the TV. “About five minutes now.”

I began pacing back and forth in front of the television, glancing at it with every pass begging Eric to get up. They went to another commercial and I all but screamed. I needed to know my husband was going to be okay! Just then my cell phone rang and I sprinted for the kitchen table.

“Cody.” I cried. “Please tell me it doesn’t look as bad as it does here.”

She was quiet for a second. “I wish I could Kenz, but they are bringing out the stretcher…”

I nodded. “Keep me update, I’ll be there as soon as I can.” I hung up with her and turned to my in-laws.

“Go.” Linda said, tears in her eyes. “We’ve got the kids. Just go be with him and keep us updated.”

I nodded and quickly kissed the four of them before running out to the car. Normally I was a very cautious driver, but not today. I was happy when I made it to the RBC Center without a ticket. I waved to the security guard in the player’s parking lot and he quickly let me in. As I pulled into the parking lot an ambulance was pulling in as well. Without thinking, parked and sprinted to the door. The guard wordlessly held the door open for me as I sprinted towards him. Without breaking stride, I ran down to the trainer’s room where I knew they had taken him after getting him off the ice. As I came up to the room, Cam was standing there in his gear and grabbed me around the waist as I tried to get in. I struggled against him, but he just tightened his hold on me.

“Mackenzie, there are too many people in there right now. You need to wait here with me.” He said in a soothing voice.

“Tell me he’s okay.” I pleaded, tears filling my eyes,

“He’s awake, finally, but they are taking him to the hospital.”

Just then the paramedics came out, pulling Eric on the gurney, still in his gear. “Eric!” I yelled, breaking out of Cam’s hold. “Eric, I’m here.”

“Kenz?” He asked quietly. “Kezie is that you?”

“It’s me. I’m here, baby.” I said, reaching for his hand.

“Ma’am, you need to back up.” one of the paramedics said to me.

“Excuse me, but that is my husband right there.” I said, pointing to Eric. “I will not be ‘backing up’ or leaving him.”

The paramedic glanced at Eric for conformation. “She’s my wife and she’s coming with me.” He said, squeezing my had.

I followed behind Eric as he was rolled out to the waiting ambulance, before I was out of sight, I turned to Cam.

“Can you do me a favor and stop by the hospital after the game and leave my car? I parked next to Eric’s in the lot.” I tossed him my keys. “Also maybe bring E’s bag?”

“Will do, Kenz. Be there as soon as I can be.”

I smiled at him. “Thanks Cam.”

During the ride to the hospital I sent a text to Linda and Henry filling them in on everything. I also had a text and missed call from Heather, so I responded to her.

“Everyone is worried about you.” I told Eric, squeezing his hand.

“I’m sorry.” He whispered.

“It’s not your fault. He hit you.”

He shook his head and then winced. “I had my head down and I wasn’t paying attention.”

I leaned forward a placed a kiss on his forehead. “It’s okay.” We were quiet for a little bit before I spoke up again. “I knew something wasn’t right.”

“What do you mean?”

“I was still asleep when the game started and then I woke up all of a sudden with a feeling that something wasn’t right. I looked for you, but then realized what time it was and where you were. Then I heard the babies crying and your parents talking quietly in the living room.” I sighed. “When I went into the living room and saw the look on their faces I really knew something was wrong, that’s when I saw the replay of the hit.”

We finally reached the hospital and they took Eric for a CAT Scan and MRI as soon as he was rolled through the doors. I was left in the waiting room to fill out paper work. About two hours later, the doctor finally came out to get me and led me to Eric’s room.

“Good news, Eric, no other injuries. Bad news, you have a mild concussion.”

I stopped listening to everything he had to say after he uttered the one word a hockey player never wants to hear…concussion
♠ ♠ ♠
hey guys,
here is an update. Wanted to get it out before I lose power....if I lose power. This storm is brutal and the power in my dorm keeps flickering. I kinda want it to just go out lol.

Hope this update finds you all well and if you are on the East Coast, safe.

Also I have a new Sidney story in the works. Not sure when I'll post it, but keep an eye out for it