Status: Active :)

God Bless the Broken Road

Chapter Four

It has been one month since I left my dad and I couldn’t be happier. The Staals have taken me in as one of the family so quickly it was dizzying. In no time the boys and I were fighting and messing around like true siblings. The four Staal boys always included me in the activities whether it was hanging out with friends or just chilling around the house. Linda enjoyed having another woman in the house to balance out some of the testosterone levels with estrogen.

I was at my new favorite spot on the farm….the lake. I liked to come out here and just think. The guys where going to be leaving soon to head back to their teams and I didn’t know what I was doing. I sighed and looked out the beautiful lake, taking everything in. I never thought I would, but I was starting to fall in love with Thunder Bay. It was such a beautiful place and everyone was so nice. It helped that I have met the Staals and they took me in. They were what every person wanted in a family. A father who was proud of his family and kids, a mother who loved doing things for her family, and sons that worked hard and took nothing for granted.

“Kenzie!” I heard being called from behind me. I opened my eyes and saw two of the brothers running towards me at full speed.

Oh God, they are going to trample me. I thought as I curled up in a ball as they got closer. But they didn’t trample me, no, one of them picked me up as he ran by and the next thing I knew I was in the water.

“Marc Staal!” I sputtered when I resurfaced. I didn’t see him in front of me, so I spun around looking for him, but not finding him anywhere. Then I was dragged under water again. This time when I reached the surface he was in front of me, laughing. “That was so not cool.” I whined as I rung out my hair.

“You should have seen your face.” Eric laughed from the dock.

When did he get there? I blushed and looked at him, splashing him. He glared at me before stripping out of his shirt and jumping in, right next to me, making sure I got the full blow of his splash.

“You are so mean.” I pushed him when he broke the surface. I looked around on the shore but didn’t see Jared or Jordan. “Where are the rest of them?” I asked,

“Jared is driving Jordan down since his doctor put him back on his crutches.” Marc informed me.

Poor Jordan, just when we all though his foot was getting better , but it turns out that he got another infection in it and had to get more surgery. That pushed back his time table for his return to the ice for the Penguins. He was still going to training camp, but wasn’t going to be able to participate for a while and we all knew it was pissing him off and getting to him. He didn’t like being told to sit still. Heather and I have learned that the hard way.

“Does he know when he’s going to be off of them?” I asked, no one in particular.

Eric shook his head. “They just want him off of his foot. But we all know how stubborn he is.”

“Hey, you try being told not to walk for at least four months.” Jordan said from the dock.

“Hey Jord, how’s it going?” I asked, floating on my back.

“Good, they bothering you?” He asked with a smile.

“Nah, well Marc a little, since he threw me in here.”

“Hey,” Marc said splashing me. “I did not throw you. I forced you.” He smiled.

I splashed him back. “Same thing.” I laughed.

Jared stripped off his shirt and quickly joined the three of us in the water. “You know what we should do?” He exclaimed minutes later.

“What Jared?” I asked with a chuckle. He was such a little kid sometimes.

“We should play Chicken.”

“I call Kenzie.” Eric called before anyone else could open their mouths.

I looked at him and smiled. “So, Eric and I against Marc and Jared.” This would be interesting, I thought as I climbed onto Eric’s shoulders. I laughed as Jared tried to get on Marc’s, but they were almost the same height so it was a little more difficult.

“Alright,” Jared said once he was settled. “Best two out of three, Jordan you’re the referee.”

Jordan nodded. “On the count of three. One…Two….Three…GO!”

Marc and Eric went towards each other as Jared and I reached for each other. I could stop laughing as we fought. Marc and Eric were laughing as well and both ended up swallowing water, but to my excitement I caught Jared off guard and got them to fall.

“That’s one for Eric and Kenzie.” Jordan announced. It took another five minutes of laughing fits before Jared got back on Marc’s shoulders. “One…Two…Three…GO!”

Two more times we went at it with Jared and Marc winning the second and third rounds, but they only won the third because they cheated…Marc splashed Eric in the face and he lost his balance. That of course ended up in a huge water fight, which we managed to include Jordan in. What felt like hours passed before we climbed out of the water and laid on the dock, letting the sun dry us.

As the sun started to set, we gathered our things and made our way back to the house. Eric and I decided to walk back, while Marc jumped into the bed of Jared’s pick up. We were quite was we walked, both tired from our afternoon of fun.

“Hey Mackenzie,” Eric said quietly, grabbing my wrist to stop me.

My skin burned where he was holding me, it’s been doing that lately. “Yeah Eric?” I looked down at his hand and then to his face. That’s when I noticed he looked a little nervous.

“I was wondering if you would like to go out to dinner with me tonight?”

“Dinner? Yeah, that sounds wonderful.”

He sighed in relief. “Sweet, be ready by seven.” He smiled and started walking again.

I smiled to myself and followed him in a daze, by the time we finally reached the house Jordan, Jared, and Marc where already there and in line for showers.

“Jaaaaarrrred?” I cooed sitting next to him on the couch.

“No you cannot have my spot in line for the shower.” He said without looking up from taping one of his sticks.

“Man, how did you know I was going to ask that?” I asked, looking at him in astonishment. I mean we’ve only really known each other for a month or so.

He chuckled and finally looked at me. “I’m the youngest here, they have tried it on me before and plus…I’ve known you for a month now. You aren’t that hard to figure out.”

I shoved him before getting off the couch. I went up to my room to get my outfit for dinner picked out and ready so I could jump in the shower as soon as I got the okay. I pulled out a denim skirt that Jordan got me for my birthday and my favorite pink top. I set out my sandals and my jewelry. There was a knock at my door and the okay to take my shower.

****


It was seven and I was waiting downstairs for Eric when Heather walked in the front door.

“Don’t you look cute. Where are you heading?” She asked.

I blushed and smoothed out my already straight skirt. “Eric is taking me out to dinner.” I whispered.

“Finally.”

I looked at her. “What do you mean ‘finally’?”

She rolled her eyes and smiled at me. “Come on Kenz, you’re telling me that you haven ‘t been able to see the way Eric has been looking at you for the past…oh I don’t know, month?”

I had noticed, but I wasn’t sure what it meant. “Yeah I have, I just guess I haven’t been paying attention.” I admitted.

“Well girl, start paying attention because Eric Staal likes you.”

I sighed, I liked Eric too but I’ve been trying not to dwell on my feelings because I lived with him and his family. Before I could say anything to Heather, Eric came into the room wearing dark wash jeans and a grey polo shirt. Just the sight of him took my breath away.

“Hey Heather.” He greeted his brother’s girlfriend. “How are you?”

“I’m good, how are you?” She asked.

“Good, just taken Mackenzie to dinner.” He smiled at me and my heart did a tiny flip.

“Yeah, she was just telling me that.” She winked at me before turning for the stairs. “I’ll let you guys go. Have fun.”

Eric and I smiled at her before telling Linda that we were going out and be back later. The ride to dinner was a quite one with just the radio playing softly in the background. I noticed that we weren’t heading into town, but rather further onto the farm.

“Eric, where are we going?” I asked, looking at him.

“It’s a secret, you’ll see when we get there.” He smiled, taking my hand.

Butterflies erupted in my stomach as I looked down at our joined hands and smiled. I didn’t want the boys to leave, but I really didn’t want Eric to leave. I leaned my head against the window and watched the sun set behind the trees.

“Kenz, we are here.” Eric said, grabbing my attention.

Eric helped me out of the car and lead me to a lightly lit part of the field we were in. In the middle of the field was a blanket spread out with a picnic basket and candles surrounding the blanket.

“Eric, this is beautiful. Did you do all of this?”

He blushed and nodded, taking a seat on the blanket. He reached for my hand and pulled me down next to him. Without a word, Eric reached into the basket and pulled out two wine glasses and a bottle of wine. He really went all out.

“Now I didn’t make the food. Mom did that for more.” He told me, handing me the glass.

“Doesn’t matter, this is wonderful.”

The food was delicious, Linda had made simple sandwiches and Eric added some fruit and vegetables. I was full, but instantly had more room when he pulled out strawberry cheesecake, my favorite.

“So Mackenzie. I wanted to ask you something.” Eric said, not looking at me and cutting the cheesecake.

“What’s up Eric?” I asked.

He sighed and put the knife down and looked at me. He was beautiful in the candle light, I couldn’t help but think. “As you know we are leaving next month to head back to the states and…and I know we’ve only known each other for about a month now, but I don’t want you to be alone here.” He took a deep breath. “What I mean is, I don’t want to leave you here. I’m going to miss you way too much.” Eric ran a hand through his hair. “Mackenzie, I want you to come to Carolina with me.”

“What?”

He nodded. “You heard me. Come to Carolina with me. I have a place and it gets lonely there without someone with me and we get along so well, I thought it would be the perfect situation. Plus, you’d be away from your father. He’d never be able to find you there. Please come with me?” He pleaded.

“Eric, I don’t know….” I looked away from him and over the dark field.

“Mackenzie?” He said quietly

I sighed and turned to face him, before I could even blink his lips were on mine.
♠ ♠ ♠
Edited