Status: Active :)

God Bless the Broken Road

Chapter Six

Telling Eric and Marc that I wasn’t going with either of them was harder than I expected, especially telling Eric. I was currently in my room, curled up in a ball on my bed, trying to calm down because seeing Eric so devastated hurt more than anything. Marc seemed to understand but was a little disappointed, but watching Eric storm off to the barn is what sent me over the edge.

There was a light knock on my door and I quickly wiped my cheeks and sat up. “C-come in.” I hiccupped.

Linda gave me a small smile before shutting my door and sitting next to me on the bed, wrapping her arm around my shoulders, hugging my into her side. This contact caused me to cry some more.

“Why don’t you tell me what has three of my children so upset.” She said quietly.

Shocked, I looked up at her. She just called me one of her children. I just stared at her and she smiled and it broke my heart. I missed me mom so much. I jumped up and wrapped my arms around her neck and cried even harder. At first she was caught off guard, but quickly recovered and started rubbing my back.

“Shh, Mackenzie, everything is going to be okay.” She said. “Take a deep breath and tell me what’s got you so upset.”

I did what she said. I pulled away from her and took a huge deep breath, calming myself down. “I’m just so confused and everything that’s going on makes me really miss my mom.” I admitted.

“What’s going on that is causing this?”

“Both Marc and Eric asked me to move with them next month when they go back to the states. But I’m not sure I want to do that because I have finally started liking Canada and Thunder Bay. So today I told them that I wasn’t going to go with either of them, that I was going to stay here. Marc took it fine, but Eric didn’t. He got mad and left. He’s in the barn, I know that, but he’s upset because I told him no.”

“Do you know why he’s upset you turned him down?” She asked, by the tone in her voice I knew that she knew why.

I nodded and sniffled. “He likes me and I like him, but….” I trailed off.

“But what dear? You are allowed to have feelings for people.” She smiled. “I do know for a fact that my son has feelings for you. I respect your opinion to stay here, but if you want to be with Eric you can go.”

“No, I’m staying here. As long as I can go with you and Henry when you go to visit the boys.“ I smiled.

“Of course!” Linda laughed. She gave me another hug before getting off the bed. “Now, go downstairs and hang out with the boys. They are only here for three more weeks.”

Those three weeks flew by, the next thing I knew I was waking up early one morning and taking my four boys and friend to the airport. I didn’t sleep the night before and didn’t want to get dressed. I knew if I got ready, that proved that the summer was over and my friends were leaving.

I slowly walked downstairs and was met with suitcases and hockey bags and slight chaos. Of course Jordan was still looking for things to pack and Heather was standing there rolling her eyes at her boyfriend. I walked over to her and didn’t say anything as I gave her a hug.

“You’ll be fine.” She told me.

“Boys, do you all have everything?” Linda asked as she walked into the chaotic living room. “You’re father is ready to pack the car.”

I helped Jordan with his bags since he couldn’t really carry them. When I went back inside all the boys where standing in front of me. I just looked at them and the tears I have been holding back all morning came pouring down my face.

“Don’t cry Kenzie.” Jared said coming over to me and giving me a hug. Soon all the boys joined in and soon I wasn’t able to breath.

“Guys, don’t kill me please. I would like to be able to watch you play.” I chuckled as they all released me.

“I have something for you.” Jordan said handing me a flat box.

“Jordan you didn’t have to get me anything.” I told him, giving him a hug. When I pulled away, I saw that they all had boxes in their hands. “Guys, what the hell? You didn’t have to get me anything.”

“We didn’t.” Eric said. “Just open them.”

I took a seat on the couch and opened all the boxes, and they all contained the same thing. One of their jerseys. I smiled through my tears and looked at them. “Thank you guys, I will wear them all the time.”

“Guys, we need to go.” Henry said, poking his head in the door.

The five of us piled into one of the two SUVs and we were on our way to the dreadful airport. To lighten the mood, we all joked around the entire ride. Throwing whatever we could find at each other, playing I Spy, and blasting the music and singing with it. We were having fun. But as soon as we saw the sign for the airport, we all stopped and reality hit me. They were leaving. Eric sensed my change in mood and grabbed my head, squeezing it.

We pulled up to the terminal and I didn’t want to get out of the car. I didn’t want to say goodbye. I stood to the side as Henry and Linda said their goodbyes to their sons and then it was my turn. Jordan was the closest so he was the first. I all but jumped on him, hugging him tightly.

“Remember, not matter what, I’m here for you. Anytime you need me, I’m there.” He whispered, hugging me just as tight. “I love you, Mackenzie,”

“Love you too, Jordan. Get better quickly so I can come watch you kick some ass.” I smiled, placing a kiss on his cheek.

“Yes ma’am.”

Next was Jared, I knew he was excited to be going to the same city as Eric and I knew he was going to do amazing. “Jared, have fun and don’t let Eric pick on you too much while you’re staying with him.” I told him, hugging him.

“You know I won’t.” He laughed. “Take car of yourself and make sure you call all the time.”

“You know I will.” I kissed his cheek and I moved on to Marc. “Hey, good luck up there. I’m sorry about not going with you.”

“Hey, it’s no big deal. I’m just glad you’re going to be coming to visit from time to time. There’s nothing like shopping in the Big Apple.” He smiled, placing a kiss on my forehead.

“Oh, shopping. I like the sounds of that.” I smiled. “You’ve got my Skype username, make sure you use it. That goes for all of you.” I told them. I hugged Marc hard and laid my head on his chest. “I’ll miss you.”

“I’ll miss you too, Kenzie. Like Jare said, make sure you call all the time.”

I nodded and stepped away, he was the first one to go in because his flight was leaving before everyone else’s. I said goodbye to Heather and promised I’d go to Pittsburgh for at least a week so we could do some shopping. Finally it was time to say goodbye to Eric. Linda cleared her throat and everyone else went inside, leaving us alone.

“There is still time to come with me.” He said, not moving.

I shook my head and bit my lip. “No, I’m staying here. I promise though that I will visit.” I said quietly, tears streaming down my cheeks. I was just glad that I didn’t put any make-up on.

Eric took one step towards me and that was all I needed. I launched myself into his arms and cried into his chest. Eric held me tight and rested his head on my head.

“I’m going to miss you so much.” He whispered into my hair.

“I’m going to miss you, too.” I sniffled.

Eric pulled me away from his body and I could tell that he was getting ready to say goodbye for real. He placed a very sweet kiss on my lips. “This isn’t goodbye. You promised you were coming to visit. We will see each other again.” Then he kissed me like he did outside of the ice cream parlor and I cried.

When we pulled apart, I couldn’t see Eric because of my tears. He quickly wiped them away and kissed me again. “Goodbye Mackenzie.”

“Bye Eric, good luck Captain. I’ll be rooting for you.”

“That’s what I want to hear.” He smiled before kissing me one last time. I just stood there with my arms wrapped around my body as I watched him walk into the airport to say goodbye to his parents once again. I slipped into the nearest SUV and waited for Henry and Linda to come back out. When we got home, without a word I made my way to the barn and took shots off the wall, trying to release some of my emotions.

For the rest of the day I spent it in my room staring at the picture of the five of us that we took at the movie theater.

We had just gone to see Eclipse because I won the latest shoot out competition and we were leaving when I spotted the photo booth.

“Guys!” I yelled as they headed for the door. “Let’s take pictures, come on.” I said, pointing to the photo booth.

They all laughed at my childlike behavior, but complied because they didn’t want to disappoint me. So I grabbed Eric and Jared’s hands and pulled them in with me. Jared ended up being pushed against the wall. Eric was sitting on Jared’s lap and I was on Eric’s. Marc somehow squeezed into the spot behind me and Eric so I shifted my weight so I was sitting on both of their laps. Jordan just stuck his head in enough to be in the shot. We couldn’t stop laughing so every shot we took we all had huge smiles on out faces. Getting out of the booth was even funnier then getting in. We actually all tumbled out and just laid on the floor laughing.


I smiled with tears in my eyes at the memory. Who knew that in just two short months, that I would have become best friends with the Staal brothers? Not only was I best friends with them, I was living with them.

When dinner time rolled around, I was in a better mood then I was earlier. Henry promised me that I would be able to see everyone of the boys televised games because they had Center Ice, which I knew. Jared’s games were going to be a little harder, but I was willing to work at it. I watched a movie with Henry and Linda before going to bed, I couldn’t sleep though. I hadn’t heard from any of the boys and I knew that they all had landed hours ago.

I was finally in bed when my phone vibrated on my night stand.

NEW TEXT: ERIC STAAL

Hey Jared and I made it okay, we went to eat with some of the other guys from the team. Sorry I didn’t txt earlier.

I smiled, he would be the first one to text me.

Glad to hear you guys made it. Hope you had fun with your team.

Just as I hit send my phone vibrated again.

NEW TEXT: JORDAN STAAL

Back in the ’burgh. Some of the guys already want to meet you. Heather says hi and she misses you already.

Well I’m flattered, eventually we will meet. Tell Heather that I miss her too. =(

NEW TEXT: ERIC STAAL

We did. How are you holding up?”

I sighed. Not good. I miss you guys like crazy. I should have gone with you. Were all running through my head at the moment.

I’m better now, still missin u guys. But I’m hangin in there. Don’t worry bout me. You’ve got a team to get back into shape.

My phone buzzed again right as I put it down.

NEW TEXT: MARC STAAL

Greetings from the Big Apple! Miss you Kenzie. Are you bored without us yet?

I laughed, Marc always could make me laugh.

Well hello Big Apple lol. I miss you too Marc and yes I’m bored without you!

My better mood slowly slipped away as I laid in bed and messaged them. Without making a sound, I snuck out of my room and into Marc’s room to steal a shirt. Next was Jordan’s room to steal some shorts. In Jared’s room I stole his pillow. I took all my new things to Eric’s room where I stripped out of my own pajamas and into Marc’s shirt and Jordan’s shorts. I pulled back the blankets and laid down. I had all my boys with me and I was a bit happier.

NEW TEXT: ERIC STAAL

What are you up to?

I laughed before responding.

I’m laying in bed.

I looked around Eric’s room and saw his picture with the Stanley Cup when he won back in 2006. There were also family pictures around too. I sighed and settled further into the pillows and blankets.

NEW TEXT: ERIC STAAL

Me too, I’ll let you get some sleep. I’ll txt u in the morning. Night Kenzie.

Night Eric, have a good night and talk to ya tomorrow

I placed my phone on his night stand and snuggled into the blankets and inhaling. I could smell all the boys from their things, that were now mine. I closed my eyes and fell asleep content.
♠ ♠ ♠
Edited