Status: Active :)

God Bless the Broken Road

Chapter Eight

When I woke up the next morning I was in so much pain. I looked at myself in the mirror again and winced. I looked so much worse then I did the night I ran away. I dressed in sweats and one of Jared’s t-shirts and made my way downstairs. Linda and Henry were sitting at the kitchen table drinking their coffee and eating breakfast. When I walked in and they got a look at my face the gasped.

“Mackenzie?!” Linda gasped. “What happened?”

I sat in one of the chairs and looked at the people I looked up to as my parents now. I could feel the tears burning my eyes. “My dad showed up to work last night.” I managed to say before I broke down.

“He did this to you in public?” Henry asked, clearly disgusted.

I nodded and put my head on my arms. “He cornered me near the bathrooms when I was leaving.”

“Are you okay, other than the obvious?” Linda asked, handing my a mug of coffee.

I took it and smiled my thanks at her. I took a small sip of the coffee and nodded. “Well my ribs are bruised again, but nothing that I haven’t been through before.”

“Do any of the boys know?” Henry asked.

“I called Jordan last night, I figured he’d be the least likely to freak out and jump on the next plane up here.” I chuckled when Linda and Henry both nodded in agreement.

“Mackenzie, maybe you should go to Raleigh.” Linda said after a while.

I sighed, that seemed to be everyone’s conclusion to this situation. Send me away. “I don’t know. I want to go, but I want to stay here as well. You and Henry need my help here and I have jobs and school.”

“Sweetheart, Linda and I have managed the farm while the boys are away before. Plus we have more employees to help. As for your jobs and school, you can always get other jobs in Raleigh and the glory of online classes is it doesn’t matter where you are.” Henry said, reaching for my hand. “I know for a fact that if you went to Raleigh you would be safe there. Your father wouldn’t know where you were at all.”

“I could go to New York.” I said.

“You know as well as we do that you want to be with Eric.” Linda chuckled.

I blushed and looked them. They were right, I wanted to be with Eric more than the others. Linda got up from the table and grabbed the phone. She dialed a number by heart and I just sat there looking at her. Who was she calling?

“Hey mom.” A familiar voice said and I realized she had him on speaker.

“Hello Jared. How are you this morning?” Typical mother. I laughed silently.

“Good, just got in from my run. What’s up?”

“I need you to do me a favor.” She said, while powering up the computer.

Oh no, she was actually sending me to Raleigh and I wasn’t even upset about it.

Jared chuckled. “Of course mom, what do you need me to do?”

“I need you to pick up Mackenzie at the airport at….three.” She told him, clicking away on the computer.

“Mackenzie? She’s coming here?” Jared asked, clearly excited.

I smiled to myself, I could just see his smile. Linda and Henry laughed as well. “Yes son, she is. I don’t know if she wants me telling you why she’s coming.” Linda said looking at me. I shook my head no and pointed to my cell phone. “Why don’t you give her a call. She should be packing right now.” She gave me a look and I laughed before heading upstairs to pack my bags.

Five minutes later my cell phone was ringing. With a chuckle I picked it up.

“Hello?” I laughed.

“You’re coming here?!” He practically shouted at me.

I couldn’t help but laugh. “Yes Jared I’m coming down there. Your mom is all but pushing me out the door.”

Jared chuckled. “Yeah she can be like that. So are you going to tell me why you are coming? Not that I’m complaining. I know Eric will be excited.”

I took a deep breath and let it out, running my hand through my hair. “I ran into my dad last night at work.”

Jared cursed on the other end. “Did he touch you?” He asked and I didn’t say anything. I just looked at myself in the mirror. “Dammit, he did didn’t he? Are you okay?”

“I’m fine. Just a few bruises. Listen Jared I have to finish packing. I will talk to you when I get down there okay?”

“Okay, see you in a couple hours.”

“See ya.”

Once I finished packing my bags, I changed into something more suitable for public. I made sure I had my passport and everything that I was going to need for my flight. Then made my way back downstairs where Henry and Linda where waiting for me.

“You know we want you here, but you need to be away from your father.” Linda said giving me a hug at the drop-off.

I smiled and nodded. “I’ll see you when you come visit right?”

“Of course.” She smiled. “Take care of my boys for me.”

“I will Linda, thanks for being there for me during all of this.”

“Dear, I’ve told you already. You are a part of this family now. There is no need to thank me.”

I smiled at Linda and looked at Henry. “You better tell those sons of ours to behave themselves.” He told me giving me a hug. “You’ll be safe with them.”

“Thanks guys, I will call you when I land.” I told them throwing my backpack over my shoulder and grabbing the suitcase that Marc got me for my birthday. I said goodbye to Henry and Linda one last time before heading into the airport.

Once I made it through security and everything else I pulled out my phone and sent a text to Marc and Jordan.

Heading to Carolina to be with Eric and Jared. Hope to see you guys soon

The next text I sent was to Eric since his game should be starting soon. I walked around the airport and found the gate I was leaving out of, so I settled into one of the seats and waited for it to start boarding.

I felt my phone buzz in my hand and I looked down and saw that Marc was calling. Oh shit, I never told him about dad.

“Hey Marc.” I greeted him

“Kenzie, why are you going to Carolina all of a sudden?” He asked, cutting right to the chase.

I sighed. “I ran into my dad last night at work and he beat me again. Your mom and dad all but shoved me on the next plane down there.”

“You could have some here.”

“I know, I said that, but they said that Eric wants me there.” I sighed.

There was a few minutes of silence. “I want you here too” He said quietly.

With a silent groan I banged my head against the back of my chair. Please don’t do this to me. I begged. I didn’t want to deal with having two guys like me. I let out a breath that I didn’t know I was holding.

“I know Marc, but I’m heading there. Don’t worry though, I’m going to be the one woman traveling circus remember? Visiting my boys in their cities.”

“I know, I just miss you.”

“I miss you too Marc, I promise you’ll be the first one I come visit.”

“You better. Or I’m coming to Raleigh and stealing you away.” He laughed.

“We don’t want that now do we?” I asked, trying to keep my voice down.

“No you don’t. Listen Kenz, I have to go. It’s almost nap time. Have a safe trip and call me when you get there.”

“Will do Marc, have a great game tonight and score a goal for me.”

“I’ll try.”

“That’s all I ask.” I smiled. “Alright, bye Marc.”

“Bye Kenzie.”

As soon as I ended the call, my flight was called and I boarded the plane to North Carolina. I managed to sleep the entire flight and woke up right as the plane was landing. When I got off the plane and turned my phone back on, I sent a text to Jared telling him to meet me at the baggage claim. I quickly found my way to the baggage claim area and looked for Jared.

I spotted him standing along the wall with my bag already. I quickly made my over to him, mindful of the looks I was receiving from people.

“Jared!” I yelled, jumping on the youngest Staal

“Mackenzie!” He hugged me tight and I whimpered despite wanting to be hugged. “What’s wrong?” He asked, pulling away.

“Just my ribs. Dad got some kicks in.” I told him, breaking eye contact.

“Yeah, you look like shit. Is it possible you look worse this time?”

“I was thinking the same thing.” I said quietly, looking down, tears burning my eyes.

“Hey,” Jared said placing a finger under my chin and lifting my head up. “He can’t get you here. He won’t hurt you again.” I didn’t say anything for fear that I would break down in the middle of the airport. “Come on, let’s get you home and settled.”

I nodded, following Jared into the cool North Carolina air and to his SUV. For a little while neither of us said anything. I just looked around and took in my new surroundings. Here I was again, the new girl in town. I was going to have to find work again. I was going to have to make friends again…friends. I left without saying a word to Cellina. I felt horrible, but I would call her later and explain everything to her, after I got settled.

“What are you thinking about over there?” Jared asked

“How I’m going to be the new girl in town again.” I mumbled.

“So what? You’ll have me and Eric and our friends. You’ll be fine. Don’t worry, okay?”

“Okay, thanks for picking me up.”

Jared gave me a ‘are you kidding me’ look and I laughed. For the rest of the ride Jared and I caught up and made fun of each other like we use to back home. I also called Linda and Henry, Jordan, and sent Marc a text telling them I made it okay.

“Hey, how did the Canes end up doing?” I asked, suddenly.

Jared laughed at my sudden change in subject without warning. “They won.”

“Sweet.” I pulled my phone out and congratulated Eric. “When is he supposed to come home?” I asked, slipping my phone into the cup holder.

“Um, tomorrow night I think. Do you want to go with me to pick him up?”

“Nah, let’s surprise him.” I smiled.

“Ha, okay. Hey, are you hungry?”

Right as he asked that my stomach growled and I laughed. “Actually I am.”

We stopped at a simple fast food place before heading to Eric and Jared’s apartment. Once we got there Jared and I wasted no time falling back into old times. He turned on the NHL Network and I curled up into his side as we watched NHL on the Fly before Marc’s game came on. As we sat there, I told Jared about my encounter with my dad.

“You know that Eric is going to be upset that you didn’t call him and tell him about this right? Especially since he didn’t like you working at the bar in the first place.” Jared said giving me a look that every big brother probably perfected to use on their little sisters.

I sighed. “I know, but I couldn’t tell him. He would have been so upset and I had a feeling that if I told him he would have jumped on the first plane he could back to Thunder Bay. I didn’t want him to do that. And apparently he wasn’t going to have to because you parents sent me here any way.”

“They did it because they are worried about you.”

“I know, I know.”

Just then Jared’s cell phone started ringing. “It’s Eric” He said before grabbing it.

“Don’t tell him I’m here remember.” I whispered as he answered.

While Jared talked to Eric I went to the room that was now going to be mine and changed into my pajamas. When I walked out into the living room, Jared was off the phone and was back to watching TV.

“What did Eric want?” I asked, taking my seat.

“They are leaving earlier then he thought, he should be in late tomorrow morning.” He looked at my shirt and smiled. “Isn’t that my shirt?” He asked.

I nodded. “Yep, and the shorts are Marc‘s. The night after you all left I went into your rooms and stole a piece of clothing from you drawers.”

“You are weird, you know that right?”

I smacked his arm and gasped. “I am not weird. I just really missed you guys. Plus I figured you weren’t going to miss those articles of clothing seeing as you all left them there.” I stuck my tongue out at him for an extra measure.

Jared just stared at me before throwing one of the couch pillows at me. That started an all out pillow fight that ended with me gasping for air because I was laughing so hard. Once we calmed down, we watched the Rangers game and then played video games before we went to bed.

“Good night, Jared.” I said, placing a kiss on his cheek.

“Night, Kenzie. I probably won’t be home when you wake up. Just sleep in okay?”

“Sounds good to me.” I chuckled and yawned. With a wave I went to my room and crawled into bed, falling asleep instantly.

I woke up the next morning to very loud talking and carrying on going on. Suddenly very awake, I rushed to the bathroom as quietly as I could and brushed my teeth before putting my hair up into a ponytail. As I opened the door I heard Eric ask:

“Jared, who else is here? You didn’t have a girl spend the night did you?”

I could here Jared chuckle. “Not in the sense you are thinking.” He said

I tiptoed to the hallway and hid behind the wall that lead into the kitchen so Eric couldn’t see me, but I could see him and Jared. I was trying to keep myself from laughing.

“What the hell do you mean?” Eric asked, clearly not understanding his baby brother.

“Nothing.” Jared said, smirking and I tried to choking back a laugh but ended up snorting.

I heard one of the chairs move and I saw Eric heading my way. Before he could get close enough, I took off down the hallway and back to my room and I shut the door as quietly as I could. As soon as the door was shut I jumped back onto the bed and looked at the door, waiting for him to open it.

It seemed like forever before the door opened and there stood Eric with wide eyes.

“Mackenzie?!” He practically yelled running into the room. I jumped off the bed and went to him. He quickly pulled me into his arms and held me tight. “Oh, I’ve missed you so much.” He whispered.

“I’ve missed you too Eric.” I said and that’s all it took for the dam to break. I began crying uncontrollably.

“Kenzie, sweetie, what’s wrong? Why are you crying?” He asked, alarmed. He pulled back and looked at me and I felt him tense under my arms. “What the hell happened to you?” He asked.

I took a few deep breaths, trying to calm myself so I could tell him what happened. He guided me to the bed and sat down, pulling me into his lap. I laid my head on his chest and told him about my dad. The entire time I was talking to him, Eric rubbed my back and whispered soothing words to me.

“You’re safe here, your dad will not hurt you anymore.”

I nodded against his chest. “I know and I’m sorry I didn’t call you last night. I just knew that if I spoke to you I was going to break down and I don’t think I would have been able to handle that over the phone. I needed to actually be with you.”

Eric looked down at me and smiled. He placed a kiss to my forehead and I felt myself relax a ton. “You wouldn’t believe it, but I needed you too. I’ve missed you so much and just talking to you on the phone and over Skype just hasn’t been enough for me. It feels wonderful having you in my arms right now. I’m glad you came.”

With that Eric leaned down and captured my lips in a kiss that showed how much we really missed each other. Some would say that I was just crushin’ on the older brother, but they would be wrong. I knew the moment that I was in his arms today that I was falling in love with Eric Staal.
♠ ♠ ♠
Edited