Self-Righteousness is Wearing Thin

So Much at Stake

Talia's P.O.V.
One of the girls that were restraining me earlier stepped up first. I picked up one of the swords that had been dropped and got ready to fight.

She swung the sword at my right shoulder and I dodged it. I saw an open spot and quickly stabbed her in the stomach. Her sword fell to the ground with a clang as she gripped her stomach and fell to her knees.

When she fell over, I looked at the other woman who had held me. She had turned ghostly white with fear and ran out of the room. I let her leave. I saw no point in chasing her.

"What a family reunion this is," I said to Athela and Zerafyna. Athela, finally gaining her courage, stepped forward and unsheathed her sword.

"Talia, you've gone too far this time," she said. "I'm going to exterminate you once and for all this time. Then, I'll get rid of your filthy lover, Vengeance and all his men."

"Your overconfidence may be your downfall," I retorted smugly. Athela growled and charged at me. I fought her off and slashed at her. She dodged it.

"You've been training I see," I said as casually as if we were sitting around a table drinking tea. She ignored my statement and swung at me again. I misjudged the blow and felt the blade rip into my side. I yelped in pain and grabbed my side, causing me to drop my weapon.

She tried to hit me again, but I sloppily dodged it. My vision doubled momentarily and in that moment, I was knocked to the ground.

Athela placed the blade to my throat, smiling cockily. "All those years of outshining me in combat are finally ending Talia."

God, it can't end this way. There was too much at stake now. I had to think of something. Anything.

"Any last words, sister?"

"Yeah, don't count me out just yet."

Athela's cocky expression turned to one of utter confusion. I kicked her hand. She dropped her sword, only cutting me slightly. I stole her sword and punched her in the stomach. .

Athela fell down and I placed her own blade at her throat. "Not a very fun spot to be in, is it?"

Athela was as pale as if she had seen Death himself. "Talia, please don't kill me. I'll do anything you want," she stammered.

"Why should I listen to you? You got me banished for something I had never dreamed of doing."

"I'm sorry!" she moaned hysterically. She was crying now.

I was just about to stop her pathetic blubbering when the throne room doors were flung open. Vengeance stood there with an army of men behind him.

"Talia, behind you!" Vengeance yelled at me. I flipped around and saw...
♠ ♠ ♠
WOO! Things are REALLY getting interesting now!

Tell us what you think.

MV and JS