Self-Righteousness is Wearing Thin

Death Sentence?

When we got back, Shadows pushed me into the throne room. Vengeance and Plague followed close behind. Vengeance told Shadows to release me and dismissed him and Plague. A few minutes later, Gates entered the room. We were all silent for a good solid minute. It was probably the longest minute of my life.

I finally looked up at Vengeance and immediately wished I hadn't; I could see the pure hatred and the want of my death in his eyes.

"Well Talia, I should just have you killed now so I wouldn't have to worry about you," Vengeance said coldly making me wince. "But I want to ask you how you think you should be punished."

I didn't answer; what was I suppose to say? Spare my life and you can do with me as you please? Hell no. I may be a prisoner, but I'm not going to just give in. Who knows what he'd do to me if I gave him that option.

He waited a minute for me to answer then said, "Nothing. Gates, what do you think?"

Gates glanced at me then turned back to Vengeance. "I think we should keep her alive."

Vengeance gave him a puzzled and disappointed look. I'm guessing Gates didn't disagree with him often. "Why?"

"Because if there is an invasion, she'll know the Wind Tribes weak points. She can tell us everything she knows about they're forces and we can use it as an advantage. And so she doesn't escape again, she'll have to be under constant supervision."

At that moment, I was half grateful that Gates had said that. If Vengeance agreed, I would be kept alive. Still a prisoner but at least alive.

Vengeance pondered Gates' proposal. "Okay, I won't kill you. But, you will spend all day everyday with me until I get tired. Then you will be sent back to your room and the door will be locked."

Of all people to get stuck with. I guess I should have seen that coming. Funny thing is, I didn't. I was too busy hoping he wasn't going to kill me.

Gates was told to take me back to my room after the decision had been made. When we got back to my room, I sat down on my bed and sighed. Gates was turning to leave but I stopped him.

"Wait, can we talk?"

He turned back to me and said, "Sure."

"Okay. Well, I wanted to start out saying thanks."

"For what? I made you more of a prisoner than you already were."

"So, you saved my life Gates. That was just amazing. I still don't completly understand why you're doing this but I don't think it matters."

We were quiet for a few minutes, until Gates broke the silence. "I never really got why our tribes fight."

I shrugged. "Probably has something to do with power."

He chuckled lightly. "Yeah, probably. That seems to be what it always boiled down to anymore; who's more powerful."

It was true. At all the gatherings, mom always pushed training and other things like that. She never gave a real reason to why she had us training so hard or even to why there's so much tension between the Blood's and Wind's. Everytime it was brought up, she would just seem to avoid it.

"Well, I better get going," Gates said finally. He got up. "See ya Talia." He started walking away but I stopped him again.

I gave him a quick kiss on the cheek and said, "Thank you." He smiled then left the room. I ws so glad there was at least one person I could talk to around here.
♠ ♠ ♠
Still could use feedback. This is our first story so yeah...would like to know what you guys think....

M. Vengeance and J. Shadows